Blind Chinese activist Chen Guangcheng escapes from house arrest

redragon

Country flag
What is the latest with the man?

He is united with his family in a hospital, the same way Wang went into hospital on a long medical treatment?
He will stay in China, US handed him over to Chinese GOVT, he refused to go US although obviously China GOVT would like him to go.
And stop adding your own imagination, will you? because your version is always seemed so stupid, and you actually still have the guts to pretend to be an expert.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
He will stay in China, US handed him over to Chinese GOVT, he refused to go US although obviously China GOVT would like him to go.
And stop adding your own imagination, will you? because your version is always seemed so stupid, and you actually still have the guts to pretend to be an expert.

Are you suffering from irritated bowels?

He refused go, China say Go. America say Take. Man Blind. Not know going or gone or back solitary!!

What a hoop la!

This what Iceberg say:

OH by the way, he is now been reunited with his family in an hospital.
reddragon,

So Iceberg stupid?

live in cuckooland?

Indeed, I expert.

My job be expert.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
China should apologise for hunting down a blind man!

Now China angry.

China now lop off his ears.

No see.

No hear!

trackwhack

That guy is gonna have the worst years of his life ahead of him. For CCP, the biggest insult is someone seeking help from the American embassy. There is no crime bigger than that. The poor chap and his family are in for hell. But this is the price that some Chinese people have to pay for the freedom that they seek. And it will come. CCP cannot last forever. I just hope some of them pay for their crimes when change does happen.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is quite a commentary on how great a country China is, in that people flee to US Embassy or Consulate.

It does not happen in any other country, including Russia or erstwhile Communist countries.

One wonders why?

China, it appears, is still a very bloodthirsty revengeful country with any genuine law!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Chinese whispers after US handover
Questions on activist deal

At the hospital, Chen was reunited with his wife, his daughter and a son he hasn't seen in at least two years. But after they got to his room in Chaoyang Hospital, he said no US officials stayed behind and that the family is now scared and wants to leave the country.

"The embassy told me that they would have someone accompany me the whole time," he said. "But today when I got to the ward, I found that there was not a single embassy official here, and so I was very unsatisfied. I felt they did not tell me the truth on this issue."

ASSOCIATED PRESS AND NEW YORK TIMES NEWS SERVICE
Chinese whispers after US handover

Apparently, Chen (the blind activist) has been given a raw deal.

I do hope things will work out for him.

s002wjh

Country flag
hopefully china will work on some political reform after leader transition.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
hopefully china will work on some political reform after leader transition.
Reforms will cause the CCP to lose its capacity to control the population.

Will anyone who has tasted unbridled and unquestioned power be ready to loosen the strings?

I wonder.

s002wjh

Country flag
CCP can't survive without reform. as chinese middle class increase, people want more freedom, not just material stuff. they want wide spread of corruption, land grabbing, dirty cop gone or limited. the reason why CCP win the civil war was KMT was corrupt to the bones, and CCP has the support of the peasants. now it come to a full circle. CCP can't keep 8% growth forever, the rich/poor gap is getting larger, on top of that there are 100k+ protest every year over land grabbing, inflation, housing etc etc.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Chen was a noble man and I admired him for his courage and bravery before he stepped into the American embassy and begged help from Americans.

Chinese problems can only be solved by Chinese people, bringing in Americans won't do anything good but complicating the situation.

The main agenda of America is bringing down China, Americans are offering Chen help only because it suits that agenda, not because they care about Chinese as much as Chen did.

If Chen is not speculating, then he is just naive, either way, this man's reputation is ruined.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If one admired Cheg before he stepped into the US Embassy, then one should have fought for his cause and not sit back and sing the paeans of the CCP.

Currently, it just appears a bit too put on - shedding crocodile tears and appears as a smug Goody Two Shoes!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Secret talks & Chen's escape saga

Beijing, May 3: Injuries suffered in the course of a daring night-time escape. A covert appeal from underground activists to top state department officials for humanitarian protection. A car chase through the streets of Beijing to spirit a dissident to safety inside the fortified American embassy.

Those are among the new details that emerged yesterday from the 10-day saga of Chen Guangcheng, the blind rights lawyer who escaped house arrest in rural Shandong province, and then, after managing to reach Beijing and come under American protection, was the subject of a series of highly unusual secret negotiations with the Chinese government.

The story involved intrigue, heroics and ultimately what some of the people involved called a betrayal. And it is a tale, related by activists, friends of Chen's and embassy officials, that so far does not have a clear ending, with Chen expressing new fears about his safety if he remains in China.

The seeds of Chen's remarkable flight were planted months ago, friends and supporters said, when he and his wife began plotting his escape from the farmhouse where they had been confined since his release from jail in September 2010.

Although there were no legal charges pending against the couple, local officials had decided to turn their home into a makeshift prison with high walls, well-paid guards and sheets of metal to cover their windows. The local government's goal was two-fold: to prevent Chen from engaging in his legal work against coercive family-planning policies and to keep the couple cut off from the outside world.

When the Chens broke the rules — by trying to sneak out messages or secretly detailing their mistreatment in a homemade video — they were viciously beaten.

As part of the plan, Chen feigned sickness for weeks, tricking his minders into thinking he was bedridden. Then, on a moonless night on April 22, he began his mad dash from Dongshigu village, heaving himself over the first of several walls while the guards slept. It was during the first few minutes of his scramble that Chen severely injured his foot. In all, he told friends he fell 200 times as he made his made his way to a predetermined pick-up point.

Once there, he slid a battery into the cellphone he had in his pocket and called He Peirong, a former English teacher from the distant city of Nanjing. He was part of a loose network of freelance rights advocates who had been trying to draw attention to his plight for more than a year.

She had tried in previous months to visit Chen and his wife several times. Each attempt was repelled by the guards at Dongshigu's entry points. Sometimes they beat her, and on one occasion the men robbed her of her money and cellphone and then dumped her in a faraway field.

Civil disobedience, she had told friends, was having little impact.

With Chen in her car, a decision had to be made: try to surreptitiously leave the country through the help of Christian activists, or stay in an attempt to establish an independent life within China. "Chen made it clear that he had no interest in becoming an exile," said Bob Fu, an exiled Chinese dissident whose organisation, ChinaAid, has helped others make the overland escape. "He wanted to stay in China and try to make things better."

He followed Chen's wishes and drove him more than 483km to the capital. There, he was taken in by a knot of devoted supporters who made sure he slept in a different apartment each night while they tried to come up with a plan.

"By the time I saw him he was in so much pain from his injury he couldn't even stand," said Hu Jia, a dissident in Beijing who taunted the authorities by posting on the Internet photos of their meeting. "Our main goal was to get him to a safe place."

It was decided that only the American embassy could provide that kind of protection. Another friend first contacted the embassy, explaining that Chen had a serious foot injury and needed help, according to an American official involved in the discussions.

The matter was quickly brought to the attention of Harold Koh, the state department legal adviser who was in China on another matter. After consulting senior state department officials, Koh determined that Chen's injury and blindness qualified him for short-term humanitarian assistance in a "good Samaritan way", one of the officials said.

A rendezvous point was agreed upon in an area some kilometres west of the embassy where an official car would meet the vehicle carrying Chen. The plan was for the lawyer to be helped into the embassy car.

But as the two vehicles were about to converge, the Americans noticed Chinese security cars tailing them, one behind the embassy car, the other behind the car with Chen and his friend, an American official who was briefed on the events said.

It was clear the handoff would have to happen in a rush. As Chen's car moved into an alley, the embassy vehicle drew alongside, and the lawyer was pulled into the American vehicle. The Americans evaded the two Chinese cars and headed for the embassy, the official said.

Once he was safely inside a US Marine dormitory, American diplomats imposed an information blackout — even refusing to confirm whether Chen was in their hands — as they negotiated his fate with senior foreign ministry officials.
NEW YORK TIMES NEWS SERVICE

Secret talks & Chen’s escape saga

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Now judge at the deceit and chicanery at play, both from the US' side and that of the Chinese!

If one feels great concern for the man, as is being made out by some, let Chen leave China!

Chinese problems cannot be solved by the Chinese since it is China which is the problem!

nimo_cn

Country flag
If one admired Cheg before he stepped into the US Embassy, then one should have fought for his cause and not sit back and sing the paeans of the CCP.
I admired him, but that doesn't mean I have to be him, neither do I have to hate CPC. I also see great things in CPC as I see great things in Chen.

Though I salute him for his courage, I don't support his cause. Chen believes everything will be fine as long as we get rid of CPC, I don't. I fully understand that Chen is deeply frustrated by all the problems in China, but it is just naive to think all of those problems can be magically fixed after CPC is gone.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I admired him, but that doesn't mean I have to be him, neither do I have to hate CPC. I also see great things in CPC as I see great things in Chen.

Though I salute him for his courage, I don't support his cause. Chen believes everything will be fine as long as we get rid of CPC, I don't. I fully understand that Chen is deeply frustrated by all the problems in China, but it is just naive to think all of those problems can be magically fixed after CPC is gone.
If only one believed what you wrote!

Salute his courage!

Good one!

Tell it to the Marines!

Chen was a human rights lawyer.

So, let him plead cases. And let the Court decide the cases.

Why detain him and beat the living hell out of him?

Is that how the cases are decided in China?

Last edited:

s002wjh

Country flag
i'm sure china are happy to gid rid of chen. and let US taxpayer to take care chen and his family. not much chen can do to china in US

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
What is the latest on Chen?

Heading to the US?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles