Bit by Bit lets dismantle them

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Personally, I feel that one should not hold grudges against the current generation of people for something that was done by their forefathers.

It is true that the British looted our nation and sapped us - literally drained us out and bled us dry. There is a reason the British economy went into prolonged slowdown after WW2 contrary to all other European nations. Their economy was heavily dependent on exploitation of their colonies, mainly India. The loss of India soon after the second world war was a massive and crippling blow for their economy.

That said, let us keep one thing in mind - the British occupation of India was much more "civilized and benign" that many others. Think of the Spanish inquisition, settlement in America, Aborigines in Australia. More recently, think about operation Barbarossa on the Eastern front in WW2 - the occupation and atrocities in East Europe were mind-chillingly brutal.

The world was a brutal place. The Brits sapped our economy, but they were more humane than most others - one has to admit that.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Originally Posted by W.G.Ewald

Mr Tata speaks of doing business. Anglophobes on DFI gloat about the downfall of the business partner because of 300 year old grudges. Bizarre. Really, really bizarre.

Ewald, with all due respect, and I know you have only the best of intentions and well wishes for India, you don't know what most peoples families have had to go through to rebuild this nation. I can talk from personal experience. My grandparents (both sides) lived in absolute poverty. Struggled really hard and afforded my dad a diploma after his 10th grade. My dad worked like a dog to get his three kids through college. I remember the bad days when me and my siblings shared food from one plate and my parents went through the day with one meal. But that's nothing. We still have millions who go through a day with just one meal. I know similar stories are shared by many others on this forum.

Yes, its our fault to have let the Brits in. But they plundered us for three centuries and built their empire and luxuries and funded their science and infrastructure by sucking the life out out this nation. And when they left, they left us with Pakistan.

You expect us to have sympathy for the Brits. The day is not far when their society will descend into anarchy. If I did have a chance then I would piss into their dead skulls.
Well, I can't begin to address that; I was raised with a life of privilege and probably never missed a meal in my life. I will try in future to confine my posts to subjects involving technical military matters where I might know something.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles