Big gain for inland water transport

pmaitra

Big gain for inland water transport

KOLKATA: Cargo movement along National Waterway I will receive a tremendous boost with Rs 4,200 crore being set aside in the Budget for development of the stretch of river between Haldia and Allahabad over a period of six years.

The 1,620 km Ganga-Bhagirathi-Hooghly river system between Haldia and Allahabad is the first of India's five existing national waterways. It was declared National Waterway I in 1986. It has tremendous potential to move cargo in barges to locations in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh. There are 10 thermal power plants located along this stretch and 11 more are expected to become operational soon.
Source: Big gain for inland water transport - The Times of India

Cargo transportation in an organised manner is confined to a few waterways in Goa, West Bengal, Assam and Kerala. Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) is the statutory authority in charge of the waterways in India. Its headquarters is located in Noida, UP. It does the function of building the necessary infrastructure in these waterways, surveying the economic feasibility of new projects and also administration and regulation.
Source: Inland Waterways Authority of India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

National Waterway 1

See technical details: National Waterway No. 1 : Inland Waterways Authority of India

[HR][/HR]

I think this is a good move. This will allow containers to be loaded on barges and taken directly to Calcutta, and exported. This will help industries in the upper Gangetic Plain, and also boost jobs along the waterway.

Abhijat

Country flag
I also like to add few points:

1. It is the "cheapest" mode of transport for heavy goods at a long distance.

2. Will help to save precious foreign exchange as diesel will be saved.

3. The startup capital required is pretty less in comparison to other mode of transport.

4. Also decongestion of roads and lesser pollution .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles