Bharat Ek Khoj, The Discovery of India

santosh10

Ten Biggest Achievements of Independence of India

I would like to list the main ten biggest achievements of independence of Republic of India, and i would welcome other members to help me, if i do mistakes, which would then need to be improved. thanks :thumb:

1st; The Democratic Structure, remarkable in Whole World

Its really hard to find a country like India, a non-religious country even if Hindus accounts for 80% population, which share equal rights and equal opportunities with all the communities, regardless any religion/ race/ language etc, with providing more opportunities to the weak part of the society like women/ dalits etc in different competitive exams. India may proudly say that it had many minority Presidents/ PMs/ CMs/ Governors/ Chief Justice/ IAS toppers/ Bollywood superstars/ Generals etc as its the country the most deserving people go high, regardless their religious/ racial/ language etc background :india:

you did get a country like India, which is hard to find anywhere else.....

2nd; Literacy Rate

here the comparison is based on 347 million population in 1947 to 1.25 billion people by 2013. here we find, Youth Literacy Rate might have reached 90%+ by 2014, as we had almost 95%+ attendance of kids in schools since 1997
When the British rule ended in India in the year 1947 the literacy rate was just 12%. Over the years, India has changed socially, economically, and globally. After the 2011 census, literacy rate India 2011 was found to be 74.04%. Compared to the adult literacy rate here the youth literacy rate is about 9% higher.

Literacy Rate of India - Population Census 2011

3rd; Per Capita Income of India

Considering the method which was in application till 2006, by both World Bank and IMF

British Left around 2% to 5% rich and rest poor in 1947, out of total 347 million population in 1947, while we now have around 350 million Middle Class of India whose Per Capita Income is well over $20,000+ on PPP now, similar to Very High HDI countries like Argentina, Poland, Saudi Arabia etc

We have new GDP Per Capita on PPP calculation for India by 2013, as below:

now poverty of India is because of its over population. Most of the problems of India is because of its Over Population and India has to reduce its population only. otherwise India has around 350mil Upper Middle Class, more than total population in 1947, whose per capita income on PPP is similar to the Very High HDI countries like Argentina, Poland, Saudi Arabia etc. one day I calculated as below:-

first, we find GDP on PPP of India was $5.2tn in 2013 but its still manipulated by the US/UK since 2007. as, till 2006, we had a different way of measuring GDP on PPP which used to include estimated undocumented part of GDP also. and I remember, this way GDP of high population 'developing' countries was around 50% to 80% higher, and for the middle order countries like Brazil/Turkey it was around 10% to 25% higher. and for the developed nations, the difference was hardly around 1% to 3% by that "Old Method" which was in application till 2006, by IMF and World Bank both. like as below:
"There are, however, practical difficulties in deriving GDP at PPP, and we now have two different estimates of the PPP conversion factor for 2005, India's GDP at PPP is estimated at $ 5.16 trillion or $ 3.19 trillion depending on whether the old or new conversion factor is used," it said.

It's official: India's a trillion-$ economy - The Times of India
means, GDP of India on PPP was already $5.16tn in 2007, higher than Japan that year, making it the 3rd Largest Economy on PPP by 2007 itself this way.

again we have India's growth rate since 2007 as below:

India GDP Annual Growth Rate | 1951-2014 | Data | Chart | Calendar

here we find, "Average Growth Rate" of India from first quarter of 2008 till the December quarter 2012, stood at around 7.6%, on 'annual' basis. hence considering GDP on PPP of India at $5.16tn in 2007 by Old Method as above, with the estimated 5.0% growth by 2013, we may calculate its value by 2013, after 6 years since early 2008, as below:

GDP on PPP of India by end 2012 = 5.16*1.076*1.076*1.076*1.076*1.076*1.05= $7.81 trillion on PPP

but we would also get to know that PPP value consider value of goods and services in US$ term, means we would also include the factor of inflation of United States also. and if we consider average 2.0% inflation of US for these 6 year in between early 2008 to 2013, with considering an overall factor of just 1.12 this way, then GDP on PPP of India comes around = 7.81* 1.12= $8.75tn by 2013. and it still hasn't included 'Value Added' effects........

again, we know that share of agriculture would be around 17.0% in India's GDP in 2013. therefore, we find share of agriculture in indian economy, 0.17 * 8.75= $1.5 trillions (around), on which 50% population of india is dependent. means around 600mil people based on agriculture in india have per capita income around = $2,500 on PPP by 2013 this way, which is itself similar to the better side of Lower Order Countries like Bangladesh.....
this way, 8.75 - 1.50 = $7.25tn is left for rest of 600mil people based in industry and service in India, with per capita income of around $12,100 on PPP which is higher than Middle Order Countries like Brazil, South Africa etc..........

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook//rankorder/2004rank.html

again, we have news that 25% of the population of cities are either in slum or in bit better condition only. so we would consider per capita income of 300mil living in cities in low condition at hardly $3,000 which takes a share of $900 billion from its GDP. hence we are then left with around 7.25 - 0.9 = $6.35 trillions for the rest of 300 mil people living in cities, the so called Middle Class of India with per capita income around $21,166 on PPP this way.

but it is estimated that out of total 600mil people based in agriculture sector, it also has around 50mil Lower Middle Class with Per Capita Income around $15,000 on PPP. (as we know that agriculture has higher share of 'undocumented' part of GDP. with that, Agriculture also has higher share of non-taxable business of India.) Hence, we find total middle class of India around 350mil with per capita income around $20,000+ on PPP which is similar to Very High HDI countries like Argentina, Poland etc, which is more than total population of India at the time of freedom in 1947 :thumb:

Most Expansive Places of World

5th Moscow $17,566 per sq.m.

7th Singapore $16,350 per sq.m.

10th Mumbai $11,306 per sq.m. :ranger:

12th Sydney $8,774 per sq.m.

20th Shanghai $6,932 per sq.m.

29th Istanbul $4,569 per sq.m.

47th Dubai $3,393 per sq.m.

54th Bangkok $2,996

68th Kuala Lumpur $2,182 per sq.m.

73rd Jakarta $,2099

World's most expensive cities

Last edited:

santosh10

4th; The Industrialized India

; India has now entered among the Newly Industrialized nations as below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newly_industrialized_country#Current_NICs

India had overall 5.81% growth rate since 1951.....
India GDP Annual Growth Rate averaged 5.81 Percent from 1951 until 2013

India GDP Annual Growth Rate | 1951-2014 | Data | Chart | Calendar
We now have Industrialists as below too, who are building the nation. as we do know that our these honored Super Riches/ Billionaires don't have money in pocket, but they are Industrialists/ billionaires in terms of the industries they have to provide employment, generating taxes for the government which government use to help the common public itself, along with improving production line hence reducing cost of products, with introducing new technologies too through their industries, hence building the nation this way.... :india:

The report as below, mention around 115 Billionaires in India, as compare to hardly around 60 by Forbes. its because Forbes estimate only Share values, while the report as below includes, "shares in public and private companies, residential and investment properties, art collections, planes, cash and other assets, according to Wealth-X...".
World's Billionaire Club Grows; Ultra Millionaires Lose Money - WORLD PROPERTY JOURNAL Global News Center

and here is the main report, as below.....
Wealth-X World Ultra Wealth Report 2011-2012 | Wealth-X

Further to the above talks, BRIC economies as whole have their UHNWI estimate, with India's at around 8,200, is given in the article as below: :thumb:

BRIC Country Super-Rich Worth $4 Trillion

The future of wealth will be built with BRICs.

According to new data from Wealth-X, the wealth research and consulting firm, Brazil, Russia, India and China now have a combined 25,600 people with $30 million or more in net worth (which includes shares in publicly traded and closely held companies, residential and investment real estate, art, planes, cash and other investible assets).

That is about half the number of ultra-high-net individuals in the U.S., according to Wealth-X.

The BRIC ultrarich have a combined net worth of $4.125 trillion, compared to $6.4 trillion for the U.S.

What is most interesting about the BRIC data is the concentration of wealth at the very top of the wealth pyramid. In Russia, the nation's 80 billionaires account for 7% of the total population of people with a net worth of $30 million or more, but they own 84% of that group's $640 billion in wealth.

In Brazil, the nation's 50 billionaires account for less than 1% of the ultrarich population but a third of the group's $890 billion in wealth. India's 115 billionaires represent 1.4% of the total ultrarich population and 20% of the group's wealth of $945 billion.

China's billionaires account for 1% of the ultrarich and about a third of their wealth of $1.65 trillion.

The U.S., of course, isn't exactly a model of equity when it comes to billionaires and the ultra-rich. Its 450 billionaires account for less than one percent of the ultra-rich population but control 25% of the group's $6.4 trillion wealth.

But the fastest global growth in billionaires and their lesser ultra-rich aspirants will likely be from the BRICS rather than the U.S. or Europe.

"In Russia, as in other emerging markets"¦.billionaires and near-billionaires, followed in aggregate by the mass of ultra-high-net-worth will dominate wealth," according to Wealth-X.

Which country would you want to live in if you had a net worth of $30 million or more?

BRIC Country Super-Rich Worth $4 Trillion - The Wealth Report - WSJ

=>
along with the fact that all the growth of India has been covered up due to high population growth. we generally remember 1991 Economic Reform of India, as the year till then per capita income of India was higher than that of China, as below. as discussed in the last post#8 too, Middle Class number of India at 350million+ stands well over its total population at 1947 itself, and its only the over population why India is a poor country :ranger:

BRITAIN GDP PER CAPITA PPP at 1991, $23,924.22
United Kingdom GDP per capita PPP | 1990-2014 | Data | Chart | Calendar

RUSSIA GDP PER CAPITA PPP at 1991, $15,625.62
Russia GDP per capita PPP | 1990-2014 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

INDIA GDP PER CAPITA PPP at 1991, $1,812.36 :ranger:
India GDP per capita PPP | 1990-2014 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

CHINA GDP PER CAPITA PPP AT 1991, $1,554.01
China GDP per capita PPP | 1990-2014 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

Mumbai, Delhi office rentals top Shanghai, New York

MUMBAI: Office rentals in Mumbai and Delhi continue to be among the highest in the world, beating the likes of New York, Washington or Shanghai despite a depreciating rupee. Renting office space in Mumbai and Delhi costs over $65 and nearly $73 per square meter a month, while the same costs $63 in New York $48 in Washington and $41 in Shanghai, property consultancy firm DTZ said in a report.

Mumbai, Delhi office rentals top Shanghai, New York - Economic Times

Last edited:

santosh10

SELECTED LETTERS FROM SELECTED WORKS OF MAHATMA GANDHI

To Subhash Chandra Bose

Birla House,
New Delhi,
2-4-1939

My dear Subhash,

I have yours of 31st march as also the previous one. You are quite frank and I like your letters for the clear enunciation of your views.

The view you express seem to be so diametrically opposed to those of the others and my own that I do not see any possibility of bridging them. I think that such school of thought should be able to put forth its views before the country without any mixture. And if this is honestly done, I do not see why there should be any bitterness engaging in civil war.

What is wrong is not the differences between us but loss of mutual respect and trust. This will be remedied by time which is the best healer. If there is real non-violence in us, there can be no civil war and much bitterness.

Taking all things into consideration, I am of opinion that you should at once form your own Cabinet fully representing your views. Formulate your programme definitely and put it before the forthcoming A. I. C. C. If the Committee accepts the programme all will be plain-sailing and you should be enabled to prosecute it unhampered by the minority. If on the other hand your programme is not accepted you should resign and let the committee choose it president. And you will be free to educate the country along your lines.:coffee: I tender this advice irrespective of Pandit pant's resolution.

My prestige does not count. It has an independent value of its own. When my motive is suspected or my policy or programme rejected by the country, the prestige must go. India will rise and fall by the quality of the sum total of her many millions. :india: Individuals, however high they may be, are of no account except in so far as they represent the many millions. :wave: Therefore let us rule it out of consideration.

I wholly dissent from your view that the country has been never so violent as now. I smell violence in the air I breath. But the violence has pout on a subtle form. Our mutual distrust I a bad form of violence. The widening gulf between Hindus and Mussalmans points to the same thing. I can give further illustrations.

We seem to differ ad to the amount of corruptions in the Congress. My impression is that it is in the increase. I have been pleading for the past many months for a thorough scrutiny.

In these circumstances I se no atmosphere of non-violent mass action. An ultimatum without effective sanction is worse than useless.

But as I have told you that I am an old man perhaps growing timid and over-cautious and you have youth before you and reckless optimism born of youth. I hope you are right. I am wrong. I have the firm belief that the Congress as it is today cannot deliver goods, cannot offer civil disobedience worth the name. Therefore if your prognosis is right, I am s back and played out as the generalissimo of Satyagraha.

I am glad you have mentioned the little Rajkot affair. It brings into prominent relief the different angles from which we look at things. I have nothing to repent of in the steps I have taken I connection with it. I feel that it has great national importance. I have not stopped civil disobedience in the other States for the sake of Rajkot. But Rajkot opened my eyes. It showed me the way. I am not in Delhi for my health. I am reluctantly in Delhi awaiting the Chief Justice's decision. I hold it to be my duty to be in Delhi till the steps to be taken in due fulfillment of the Viceroy's declaration in his last wire to me are finally taken. I may not run any risk. If I was invited the Paramount Power to do its duty, I was bound to be in Delhi to see that the duty as fully performed. I saw nothing wrong in the Chief Justice being appointed the interpreter of the document whose meaning was put in doubt by the Thakor Sahib. By the way, Sir Maurice will examine the document not in his capacity as Chief Justice but as a trained jurist trusted by the Viceroy. By accepting the Viceroy's nominee as judge, I fancy I have shown both wisdom and grace and what is more important I have increased the Vice regal responsibility in the matter,

Though we have discussed sharp differences of opinion between us, I am quite sure that our private relations will not suffer in the least. If they are from the heart, I believe they are, they will bear the strain of these differences.

Love

BAPU

Mahatma Gandhi : Selected Letters

Netaji SC Bose is considered as the second father of nation of India, and Mr Gandhi's private letter to him put emphasis on the fact that, "India will rise and fall by the quality of the sum total of her many millions."......

=>
5th, The Most Competent Indians on the World Platform

We have 3 main exam on the international level to measure competency of different nationals, which may then help them get scholarship from the top institutes of world, mainly from US's and British institutes. its GRE for engineering, GMAT for Management and one for medicines..... but I would rank GMAT scores as the main exam as even engineers/doctors try hard for it as it may then help them get entry in the top Business Institutes and then they may get one of the highest payments after a MBA degree from there....

(here, GMAT score for IIM Calcutta was '760' in 2009 which is incorrectly written here for 2010 as 500 only. Minimum GMAT score required for admission in IIM Calcutta is "700", as per in "Admissions Requirements" section of this website.)
Indian Institute of Management Calcutta | TopMBA.com

HERE, in this news as below, Im only surprised on ANSEAD France whose average GMAT score we find 700+, only in Europe. otherwise we do know that US+UK institutes have those international students, mainly Indians, who got admission there under their scholarship program, and hence it raised overall GMAT score of those few top US's/UK's institutes this way ..........

Indian MBA students world's most academically distinguished

BANGALORE: It is students from IIM-Bangalore, not from Harvard or Stanford or even MIT, who excel at GMAT, the entrance test for the creme de la creme of B-schools across the world. :truestory:

According to the QS Global 200 Business Schools report, Indian MBA candidates are the world's most academically distinguished, with students of the IIM-B, scoring the highest average of 780. IIM-B students are ahead of the leading US institution Stanford and INSEAD in Europe, the survey said.

While the average GMAT score of Stanford is 730, INSEAD lies at 704. Second to IIM-B students in GMAT score are their counterparts from IIM, Ahmedabad with 767.

The survey says, "IIM Ahmedabad is notable for the extraordinarily high average GMAT scores of its students, with its figure of 767 exceeded only by fellow Indian institution, IIM Bangalore (780). This places the two ahead of any North American or European school for the academic quality of their student intake. The fact that students enrolled at both schools have an average of just two years of professional experience underlines the tendency for academically gifted students to move quickly on to the MBA qualification at the outset of their careers, rather than using it to up-skill at mid career, as is more common in Europe and North America."

IIM-B also appears in the survey as one of the emerging global business schools across the world, overtaking Melbourne Business School.

"It is the testimony to high quality talent that our country has. It is no surprise that Indian students have outscored others from across the globe. What is needed now is the establishment of premier institutes like Harvard and Stanford in India as well, so that these young minds could express their intelligence in best possible manner. This is possible only when full autonomy is provided to the universities," said T V Mohandas Pai, chairman, Manipal Global Education Services.

"At the time of independence, our universities at Mumbai, Chennai, Calcutta, Mysore and Baroda were among the top 200 in the world. Today, they do not fare in any ranking at all. This is the result of bad government policy. Full autonomy, independent board of governors and focus on research are the factors crucial for a good university," said Pai.

The colleges were also judged on different subjects under their programme. In corporate social responsibility, IIM-B ranked 21 among the top 50 business colleges across the globe, whereas IIM-A grabbed 19th rank.

When it comes to emphasis on start-ups and small businesses to kick-start private sector growth ( entrepreneurship), IIM-B ranked 25 and IIM-A ranked 17. Under 'innovation', IIM-B was placed at 17th with a score of 90.6, whereas IIM-A ranked 13, with a score of 97.4 out of 100. :ranger:

QS is an online and offline meeting place for aspiring managers, B-schools and businesses for career and educational -related decisions.

Many leaders in India

For the leadership development programme, four colleges from India feature among top 50 universities. They are: IIM-A, IIM-B, IIM-C and Indian School of Business (ISB).

Highlights of the survey

Schools ranked for employer reputation in 10 subject specializations. Harvard tops the table in three subjects, ahead of Stanford and MIT with two apiece. Wharton is number one for finance

Three Asian schools make the Elite global category: INSEAD Singapore, IIM-A and NUS Business School, National University of Singapore

No Elite Global schools in either Africa and Middle East, or Latin America

Indian MBA students world's most academically distinguished: Survey - The Times of India

Indian Americans: The New Model Minority - Forbes

The 2008 election barely ended before the GOP began touting the presidential prospects of Louisiana Gov. Piyush "Bobby" Jindal, the son of Indian immigrants. Tuesday, Jindal becomes the new face of his party when he delivers the official Republican response to President Obama's speech to Congress. Whether or not he actually runs for president in 2012, Jindal symbolizes a remarkable but rarely discussed phenomenon--the amazing success of Indian Americans in general, and what that success says about our immigration policy.

Most Americans know only one thing about Indians--they are really good at spelling bees. When Sameer Mishra correctly spelled guerdon last May to win the 2008 Scripps National Spelling Bee, he became the sixth Indian-American winner in the past 10 years. Finishing second was Sidharth Chand. Kavya Shivashankar took fourth place, and Janhnavi Iyer grabbed the eighth spot. And this was not even the banner year for Indian Americans--in 2005, the top four finishers were all of Indian descent.

It's tempting to dismiss Indian-American dominance of the spelling bee as just a cultural idiosyncrasy. But Indian success in more important fields is just as eye-catching. Despite constituting less than 1% of the U.S. population, Indian-Americans are 3% of the nation's engineers, 7% of its IT workers and 8% of its physicians and surgeons. The over-representation of Indians in these fields is striking--in practical terms, your doctor is nine times more likely to be an Indian-American than is a random passerby on the street.

Indian Americans are in fact a new "model minority." This term dates back to the 1960s, when East Asians--Americans of Chinese, Japanese and Korean descent--were noted for their advanced educations and high earnings.

East Asians continue to excel in the U.S, but among minority groups, Indians are clearly the latest and greatest "model." In 2007, the median income of households headed by an Indian American was approximately $83,000, compared with $61,000 for East Asians and $55,000 for whites.

About 69% of Indian Americans age 25 and over have four-year college degrees, which dwarfs the rates of 51% and 30% achieved by East Asians and whites, respectively. Indian Americans are also less likely to be poor or in prison, compared with whites.

So why do Indian Americans perform so well? A natural answer is self-selection. Someone willing to pull up roots and move halfway around the world will tend to be more ambitious and hardworking than the average person. But people want to come to the U.S. for many reasons, some of which--being reunited with other family members, for example--have little to do with industriousness. Ultimately, immigration policy decides which kinds of qualities our immigrants possess.

Under our current immigration policy, a majority of legal immigrants to the U.S. obtain green cards (permanent residency) because they have family ties to U.S. citizens, but a small number (15% in 2007) are selected specifically for their labor market value. The proportion of Indian immigrants given an employment-related green card is one of the highest of any nationality. Consequently, it is mainly India's educated elite and their families who come to the U.S.

The success of Indian Americans is also often ascribed to the culture they bring with them, which places strong--some would even say obsessive--emphasis on academic achievement. Exhibit A is the spelling bee, which requires long hours studying etymology and memorizing word lists, all for little expected benefit other than the thrill of intellectual competition.

But education and culture can take people only so far. To be a great speller--or, more importantly, a great doctor or IT manager--you have to be smart. Just how smart are Indian Americans? We don't know with much certainty. Most data sets with information on ethnic groups do not include IQ scores, and the few that do rarely include enough cases to provide interpretable results for such a small portion of the population.

The only direct evidence we have comes from the 2003 New Immigrant Survey, in which a basic cognitive test called "digit span" was administered to a sample of newly arrived immigrant children. It is an excellent test for comparing people with disparate language and educational backgrounds, since the test taker need only repeat lengthening sequences of digits read by the examiner. Repeating the digits forward is simply a test of short-term memory, but repeating them backward is much more mentally taxing, hence a rough measure of intelligence.

When statistical adjustments are used to convert the backward digit span results to full-scale IQ scores, Indian Americans place at about 112 on a bell-shaped IQ distribution, with white Americans at 100. 112 is the 79th percentile of the white distribution. For more context, consider that Ashkenazi Jews are a famously intelligent ethnic group, and their mean IQ is somewhere around 110.

Given the small sample size, the rough IQ measure and the lack of corroborating data sets, this finding of lofty Indian-American intelligence must be taken cautiously. Nevertheless, it is entirely consistent with their observed achievement.

The superior educational attainment, academic culture and likely high IQ of Indian Americans has already made them an economic force in the U.S., and that strength can only grow. Does this continuing success imply they will become a political force? Here, Gov. Jindal is actually a rarity. Indians are still underrepresented in politics, and they do not specialize in the kinds of fields (law and finance) most conducive to political careers. Time will tell if they are able to convert economic power into serious political influence, as a Jindal presidency could.

A much clearer implication of Indian-American success is that immigrants need not be unskilled, nor must their economic integration take generations to achieve. In sharp contrast to Indian Americans, most U.S. immigrants, especially Mexican, are much less wealthy and educated than U.S. natives, even after many years in the country.

A new immigration policy that prioritizes skills over family reunification could bring more successful immigrants to the U.S. By emphasizing education, work experience and IQ in our immigration policy, immigrant groups from other national backgrounds could join the list of model minorities.

There is nothing inevitable about immigration. Who immigrates each year is a policy decision, free to be modified at any time by Congress. Constructing new legislation is always difficult, but I propose a simple starting point for immigration selection: Anyone who can spell guerdon is in! :thumb:

Indian Americans: The New Model Minority - Forbes

santosh10

6th, India could 'still' keep the crime rates down, even after 66 years, while being in touch with rest of the world :india:

this issue is discussed in the post#7 of the thread as below ...

=> http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...rime-rate-us-west-india-study.html#post961203

India must Maintain and Reduce The Traditional Crime Rate, at any Price

Japan must be considered as a Role Modal to build a Prosper India, with Lower Crime Rate too.

here, we have a legend to learn from the mistakes of today's industrialized nations, and we find there are mainly 2 categories of Developed Nations. one with very low crime rate, which includes Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Korea type Asian Industrialized nations. while on the other side we find US and many other Wealthy Countries gained wealth along with very high crime rate too, no matter how much Welfare/Social Security/Medicare etc they provide to their people. and India must learn from these nations, there must be a study on the high crime rate of US/West, before India become a Rich nation.

we have data's of 2008 as below, before recession in US so it does mean that this analysis explains the peak of US, it had till 2008. and there must be a common consensus among all the political parties, systems of India that India must maintain 400 or below criminal incidents per 100,000 population in future too, even if it maintain low growth rate also, but we want crime rate of India to be lower than what it traditionally maintained till 2008, as below.

for example, Indian politicians, bureaucrats, senior position holders in security agencies may sit altogether and discuss, "what if India register only 2% growth rate for the next 20 years, will it help us maintain the current crime rate, with a space to reduce it too? and even if we get (-)ve growth rate from today, is it a better option as compare to have high growth rate and then have a very high Crime Rate society like Rich US/West? or, we may learn something from Japan, which has Buddhist background, means having some similarities with Indian cultural background too, to maintain low crime rate, along with high Growth Rate :india:"

=>

The Role Modal of Asia, The Japan

here we find Japan's prison rate at very close to India, even if its the most advanced nation of Asia, while owning the best technologies of world, which was developed by the Japanese people itself, (in contrast to USA which mostly hired migrant professionals.) and the reason behind it, the "Likelihood of being a Vitim" is itself very low at 13.11, the lowest due to their Cultural Background, i think. here we find Japan refusing to accept that being a rich nation means for high crime rate too :truestory:

Crime Rate Comparison of India and USA

one day i calculated crime rate comparison between India Vs United States of America, the second largest democracy as below.

(this comparison also consider the facts that, American people receive Social Security + Free Medical so they are expected to be less violent as compare to the civilians of India, who live life in tough circumstances, having only around 350million Middle Class and rest are Under Class/Poor.)
;

Comparison based on per 100,000 (lakh) people

=> India tops world murder count - Times Of India

1st,
The number of rape cases was maximum in the US which recorded 93,934 such assaults followed by South Africa 54,926 and India 18,359.
here, Rapes in Welfare society of US = 93,934/ 3100 (100,000) = 30.3 :

Rapes in non-Welfare India = 18,357/ 125,00 (100,000) = 1.47

2nd,
There were 32,719 incidents of murder recorded in India, whereas there were 16,692 in the US
Total Murders in Welfare society of US = 16,692/ 3100 (100,000) = 5.38

Total Murders in non-Welfare society of India = 32,719/ 12500 (100,000) = 2.61

3rd,
The US topped the crime list with 2,31,13,708 Total Crime related incidents, whereas India registered overall 50,26,337 criminal cases.
Total Crimes in Welfare Society of US = 2,31,13,708/ 3100 (100,000) = 7456

Total Crimes in non-Welfare society of India = 50,26,337/ 12500 (100,000) = 402

hence the "Total Crime Ratio" between the two largest democracies of the world = 18.4 :india:

=> India tops world murder count - Times Of India

=> and yes its a truth that all these dramatic increase in Murders, crimes, especially Rapes, started during last 7-8 years only, check the data's. we even find India to be dropped 25 points on the corruption ranking in just 5 years, out of hardly 180 countries, as below. the very first outcome of inviting the Western Culture and their all the good and bad, both

=> India 72 in corruption index in 2007

=> India ranked 94th in Corruption Perception Index ratings by 2012

and i have said before, if the Indian government doesn't take proper steps to control influence of Western Culture, then soon they will have to build more jails for those people who dont even have house, and living in slums :tsk:

Overall Picture of "non-Welfare" society of India Vs the second largest democracy of the world, the USA is as below:

While Americans represent about 5 percent of the world's population, nearly one-quarter of the entire world's inmates have been incarcerated in the United States in recent years.[3] Imprisonment of America's 2.3 million prisoners, costing $24,000 per inmate per year, and $5.1 billion in new prison construction, consumes $60.3 billion in budget expenditures.

United States incarceration rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A Crime mainly Means for its Seriousness

and i repeat, "Incarceration Rate is the best way to measure Crime Rate as we do know that long term imprisonment is applicable to serious crimes only. means, if there were few fighting on the streets then you would be released within days if no serious injuries. but if someone died, or someone was raped, then obviously you would go for a very long."

its so simple that, there might be so many driving offenses which can result is penalty only in most of cases, while a crime does means for its seriousness, like robberies/ murders/ serious assaults/ rape/ drugs smuggling etc....... even having small amount of drugs for personal use isn't a punishable offense in Australia, but smuggling drugs does means for 10years+ imprisonment, and here we mainly look on the Incarceration Rate comparison.

as we do know that even if many types of small crimes go unpunished in a developing country, like driving offenses etc, the major crimes like murders/rapes/robberies can't go unnoticed as we do have proper identities of civilians/IDs of people in developing countries like India/Indonesia/ Philippines/Vietnam type countries, and here we again find "Incarceration Rate" comparison of our interests.

=>

US is already a world leader in rapes/robberies, but just have a look on the murder rate in US/Americas as below, a worse figure than even Africa. which better justify state of a country where 1% Americans have more wealth than the bottom 90%

List of countries by intentional homicide rate

we also have Murder rate as below. here, India won't be said doing good in this picture, while comparing "Absolute Number" of murders as below:-
=> India tops world murder count - The Times of India
Comparison based on per 100,000 (lakh) people

Total Murders in Welfare society of US = 16,692/ 3100 (100,000) = 5.38

Total Murders in non-Welfare society of India = 32,719/ 12500 (100,000) = 2.61

=>
By region

UNODC murder rates most recent year (Per 100,000 Population)

Region - Rate

Africa - 12.5
Americas - 15.4 :facepalm:

Asia - 2.9
Europe - 3.5
Oceania - 2.9
World - 6.9

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

santosh10

7th, Building Infrastructure of India

we find India having traveled a long distance in this area and would catch up with the forward emerging economies by end of this decade, as below. here we find India among the top 5 countries on most of the criterion as below:

=> The analysis as below would have variations by upto 20%+ margin, i guess, but we do have a comparative analysis of Infrastructure Assets of India, while comparing it with rest of the major emerging economies of world. infrastructure of a developed country is defined at 90%+ in this list, and here we find India at 46%, just above Brazil, among the major emerging economies. here we find India at close to 50% would mean that it has traveled at least the half way in this regard, but future investments in infrastructure in India does look promising......

=> Ten remarkable infrastructure developments in India - Ten remarkable infrastructure developments in India | The Economic Times

santosh10

8th, India's Contribution in Rest of the World

1st, India helped form Non-Aligned Movement to promote World's Peace.

Leaders of the Non-Aligned Movement: (L to R) PM Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru of India, Pres. Kwame Nkrumah of Ghana, Pres. Gamal Abdel Nasser of United Arab Rep., Pres. Sukarno of Indonesia, & Pres. Tito of Yugoslavia.

India's Rulers and India's National Interest | Global Political Economy

Speaking at the Seventh Non-Aligned Summit in New Delhi in 1983, Indira Gandhi declared: "Non-alignment is national independence and freedom"¦. It means equality among nations and the democratisation of international relations, economic and political"¦. Nationalism does not detach us from our common humanity"¦. Injustice and suffering can and must be diminished." :india:

India's Rulers and India's National Interest | Global Political Economy

2nd, Helping the World free from Nuclear Weapons

As of October 2008, China,[1] India[2] and North Korea[3] have publicly declared their commitment to no first use of nuclear weapons. :india:

No first use - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

INDIA'S NUCLEAR DOCTRINE

In essence, the draft doctrine was based on the following assumptions-

"¢ Nuclear weapons are meant for deterrence. The basic thrust was to deter the use of nuclear weapons and not fight a nuclear war.
"¢ Nuclear weapons are to be used only in retaliation of nuclear attack on India. Therefore the doctrine was purely defensive in nature.
"¢ Nuclear weapons would not be used to deter the threat or use of conventional weapons, biological or chemical weapons.
"¢ Emphasis on 'minimum credible deterrence' would avoid any unnecessary arms race

In accordance with its policy at the Conference on Disarmament (CD) in February 2008, India formally proposed two multilateral agreements and two global conventions in a detailed framework for nuclear disarmament and laid the seven point agenda.

1. Reduction of the salience of nuclear weapons in security doctrines.
2. Negotiation of an agreement on no-first use of nuclear weapons among nuclear weapons states.
3. Negotiation of a universal and legally binding agreement on non-use of nuclear weapons against non-nuclear weapons states.
4. Negotiation of a convention on the complete prohibition of the use or threat of use of nuclear weapons.
5. Negotiation of a nuclear convention prohibiting development, stockpiling and production of nuclear weapons, moving towards a global, non-discriminatory and verifiable elimination of these weapons.
6. Unequivocal commitment of all nuclear weapons states to reduce risks and dangers arising from the possibility of accidental use of these weapons.
7. Adoption of additional measures by nuclear states to reduce accidental use.

Times Of India | Blogs

Speech delivered by India's Prime Minester, Shri. Rajiv Gandhi, addressed to the United Nations General Assembly session on June 9, 1988.

"We cannot accept the logic (of NPT) that a few nations, (P5s), have the right to pursue their security by threatening the survival of humankind. It is not only those who live by the nuclear sword who, by design or default, shall one day perish by it. All humanity will perish.

Nor is it acceptable that those who possess nuclear weapons (P5s) are freed of all controls while those without nuclear weapons are policed against their production. History is full of such prejudices paraded as iron laws: that men are superior to women; that the white races are superior to the colored; that 'colonialism' is a civilizing mission, that those who possess nuclear weapons are responsible powers and those who do not are not."

"Nuclear deterrence is the ultimate expression of the philosophy of terrorism: holding humanity hostage to the presumed security needs of a few.":india:

Rajiv Gandhi Speaks Against Nuclear Weapons

3rd, Helping UNSC reform for World Peace

G4 nations express vision for a reformed UNSC | Business Line

BRICS calls for UNSC reforms - Indian Express

India, Japan to hold regular consultations on UN reforms | Business Standard News

4th, Helping United Nation for World Peace

India is a charter member of the United Nations and participates in all of its specialised agencies. India has contributed troops to United Nations peacekeeping efforts in Korea[dubious – discuss], Egypt and the Congo in earlier years and in Somalia, Angola and Rwanda in recent years, and more recently Haiti. India has been a member of the UN Security Council for six terms (a total of 12 years), and was a member for 2011-12. India is also a member of the G4 group of nations who back each other seek permanent seating on the security council and advocate in favour of the reformation of the UNSC.

As a prominent member of the Non-Aligned Movement that started in 1955, India had traditionally represented the interests of the developing nations (or third world nations, as they were known at that time) and supported the struggle against colonialism and apartheid, its struggle towards global disarmament and the ending of the arms race, and towards the creation of a more equitable international economic order. In the early 1950s, India attempted, like the Soviet Union, unsuccessfully to help the People's Republic of China join the UN but was rebuffed by Western powers. India also had a mediatory role in resolving the stalemate over prisoners of war in Korea contributing to the signing of the armistice ending the Korean War in 1953. India chaired the five-member Neutral Nations Repatriation Commission while the Indian Custodian Force supervised the process of interviews and repatriation that followed. The UN entrusted Indian armed forces with subsequent peace missions in the Middle East, Cyprus, and the Congo (since 1971, Zaire). India also served as chair of the three international commissions for supervision and control for Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos established by the 1954 Geneva Accords on Indochina. India also has served as a member of many UN bodies — including the Economic and Social Council, the Human Rights Commission, and the Disarmament Commission — and on the board of governors of the International Atomic Energy Agency. In addition, India played a prominent role in articulating the economic concerns of developing countries in such UN-sponsored conferences as the triennial UN Conference on Trade and Development and the 1992 Conference on the Environment and Development in Rio de Janeiro.[2] It has been an active member of the Group of 77, and later the core group of the G-15 nations. Other issues, such as environmentally sustainable development and the promotion and protection of human rights, have also been an important focus of India's foreign policy in international forums.

India and the United Nations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5th, Helping Least Developed Countries

as discussed int eh thread as below:-

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...-foreign-aid-starting-india-2.html#post965862

Last edited:

santosh10

Benefits of the British Rule in India

A number of historians both India and foreign writers and historians have started justifying the empire and even asking USA to take up the "White Man's Burden" to bring civilizations and justice to the dark world of the dark skinned people. The views of the Western historians like Neil Ferguson or Michael Ignatief are being reflected by their Indian counterparts like Triankar Roy, Dipak Lal, or even Man Mohan Singh in his lecture in Oxford University recently. The surprising matter is that even the Sangha Parivar writers like M.S.Menon, and Priyadarshi Dutta are also propagating the benefits that the British rule has brought to India.

Before the British came, India was one of the richest countries in the world. In 1800, India, China and Egypt (and probably many of the kingdoms of central Africa) were economically more developed than Britain. Indeed the British had nothing for sale that was of interest to the Indians or Chinese. When the British left in 1947, India was poor and industrially backward.

Britain did bring free trade to India and China. Britain had extracted large surpluses from India, and forced it into a free-trade pattern, which obliged India to export commodities and become a dumping ground for British manufactures. Historians estimate that the net transfer of capital from India to Britain averaged 1.5 percent of GNP in the late nineteenth century. The wealth transfer was financed by a persistent trade surplus of India, which was sent back to Britain or spend to expand the British Empire. India's export-import ratio was 172.5 percent in 1840-69, 148 percent in 1870-1912, and 133.4 percent in 1913-38. This export orientation was a tool of colonial exploitation, and free trade a British ploy to force its manufactures on India and crush domestic industry.

Instead of enriching the world, the British Empire impoverished it. The empire was run on the cheap. Instead of investing in the development of the countries they ruled, the British survived by doing deals with indigenous elites to sustain their rule to extract maximum amount of revenues for Britain itself, which the British historians now deny.

Whether in 18th-centuryIndia, 19th-century Egypt or 20th-century Iraq, the story is the same. As long as taxes were paid, the British cared little about "the rule of law". They turned a blind eye to Indian landlords who extracted rent by coercion or indigo and opium - planters who had forced Indian farmers to cultivate and their products were forced upon the Chinese. Unable to sell anything to the Chinese, Britain sent in its gunboats, seizing Hong Kong and opening up a market for opium grown in India. Despotic repression was fostered where it protected British interests.

India is the prime example. Ruled by Muslims before the British, India was a prosperous, rapidly commercializing society. The Jagat Seth, India's biggest banking network and financier of the East India Company, rivaled the Bank of England in size. British rule pauperized India. The British restricted Indian weavers' ability to trade freely and the result was a drastic drop in living standards. Dhaka, now the capital of impoverished Bangladesh, was once a state-of-the-art industrial city. Its population fell by half during the first century of British rule. Now, average Indian incomes are barely a tenth of the British level in terms of real purchasing power. It is no coincidence that 200 years of British rule occurred in the intervening time.

Rabindranath Tagore wrote "The chronic want of food and water, the lack of sanitation and medical help, the neglect of means of communication, the poverty of educational provision, the all pervading spirit of depression that I have myself seen to prevail in our villages after over a hundred years of British rule make me despair of its beneficence."

The impact of British rule in India:

As Davis concludes: "If the history of British rule in India were to be condensed to a single fact, it is this: there was no increase in India's per-capita income from 1757 to 1947." (in Late Victorian Holocausts: El Nino famines and the making of the Third World by M. Davis, London, Verso Books, 2001) In fact, incomes may have declined by 50 percent in the last half of the 19th century. :ranger:

Shares of world GDP (percent)

Year: 1700 - 1820 - 1890 - 1952

India: 22.6 - 15.7 - 11 - 3.8 :facepalm:

Destruction of agriculture:

Karl Marx wrote in Consequences of British Rule in India,

"England has broken down the entire framework of Indian society, without any symptoms of reconstitution yet appearing. The British in East India accepted from their predecessors the department of finance and of war, but they have neglected entirely that of public work s."

"There have been in Asia, generally, from immemorial times, but three departments of Government; that of Finance, or the plunder of the interior; that of War, or the plunder of the exterior; and, finally, the department of public works. Climate and territorial conditions, especially the vast tracts of desert, extending from the Sahara, through Arabia, Persia, India, and Tartary, to the most elevated Asiatic highlands, constituted artificial irrigation by canals and water-works the basis of Oriental agriculture. Hence an economical function devolved upon all Asiatic Governments, the function of providing public works. This artificial fertilization of the soil, dependent on a Central Government, and immediately decaying with the neglect of irrigation and drainage, explains the otherwise strange fact that we now find whole territories barren and desert that were once brilliantly cultivated, as Palmyra, Petra, the ruins in Yemen, and large provinces of Egypt, Persia, and Hindostan; it also explains how a single war of devastation has been able to depopulate a country for centuries, and to strip it of all its civilization."

Destruction of self-sufficient rural economy:

"British steam and science uprooted, over the whole surface of Hindostan, the union between agriculture and manufacturing industry."

"The third form of destruction was the destruction of the self-sufficient village society of India. Under this simple form of municipal government, the inhabitants of the country have lived from time immemorial. These small stereotype forms of social organism have been to the greater part dissolved, and are disappearing, not so much through the brutal interference of the British tax-gatherer and the British soldier, as to the working of English steam and English free trade."

"Those family-communities were based on domestic industry, in that peculiar combination of hand-weaving, hands-spinning and hand-tilling agriculture, which gave them self-supporting power. English interference having placed the spinner in Lancashire and the weaver in Bengal, or sweeping away both Hindoo spinner and weaver, dissolved these small communities, by blowing up their economical basis"

De-industrialization of India under the British:

After destroying its agriculture British had embarked upon the destruction of Indian industry. Several Indian historians have argued that British rule led to a de-industrialization of India. By the Act 11 and 12 William III, cap. 10, it was enacted that the wearing of wrought silks and of printed or dyed calicoes from India, Persia and China should be prohibited, and a penalty of £200 imposed on all persons having or selling the same. Similar laws were enacted under George I, II and III, in consequence of the repeated lamentations of the afterward so "enlightened" British manufacturers. And thus, during the greater part of the 18th century, Indian manufactures were generally imported into England in order to he sold on the Continent, and to remain excluded from the English market itself.

Ramesh Chandra Dutt argued (in Economic History of India, London, 1987):

" India in the eighteenth century was a great manufacturing as well as a great agricultural country, and the products of the Indian loom supplied the markets of Asia and Europe. It is, unfortunately, true that the East India Company and the British Parliament, following the selfish commercial policy of a hundred years ago, discouraged Indian manufacturers in the early years of British rule in order to encourage the rising manufactures of England. Their fixed policy, pursued during the last decades of the eighteenth century and the first decades of the nineteenth, was to make India subservient to the industries of Great Britain, and to make the Indian people grow raw produce only, in order to supply material for the looms and manufactories of Great Britain".

According to Karl Marx, " However changing the political aspect of India's past must appear, its social condition has remained unaltered since its remotest antiquity, until the first decennium of the 19th century. The handloom and the spinning wheel, producing their regular myriads of spinners and weavers, were the pivots of the structure of that society."

"It was the British intruder who broke up the Indian handloom and destroyed the spinning wheel. England began with driving the Indian cottons from the European market; it then introduced twist into Hindostan, and in the end inundated the very mother country of cotton with cottons."

From 1818 to 1836 the export of twist from Great Britain to India rose in the proportion of 1 to 5,200. In 1824 the export of British muslins to India hardly amounted to 1,000,000 yards, while in 1837 it surpassed 64,000,000 of yards. But at the same time the population of Dacca decreased from 150,000 inhabitants to 20,000. This decline of Indian towns celebrated for their fabrics was by no means the worst consequence. "

There is a good deal of truth in the deindustrialization argument. Moghul India did have

a bigger industry than any other country, which became a European colony, and was unique in being an industrial exporter in pre-colonial times. A large part of the Moghul industry was destroyed in the course of British rule.

The second blow to Indian industry came from massive imports of cheap textiles from

England after the Napoleonic wars. In the period 1896-1913, imported piece goods supplied about 60 per cent of Indian cloth consumption, 45 and the proportion was probably higher for most of the nineteenth century. Home spinning, which was a spare-time activity of village women, was greatly reduced.

It took India 130 years to manufacture textiles and to eliminate British textile imports. India could probably have copied Lancashire's technology more quickly if she had been allowed to impose a protective tariff in the way that was done in the USA and France in the first few decades of the nineteenth century, but the British imposed a policy of free trade. British imports entered India duty free, and when a small tariff was required for revenue purposes Lancashire pressure led to the imposition of a corresponding excise duty on Indian products to prevent them gaining a competitive advantage. This undoubtedly handicapped industrial development. If India had been politically independent, her tax structure would probably have been different. In the 1880s, Indian customs revenues were only 2.2 per cent of the trade turnover, i.e. the lowest ratio in any country. In Brazil, by contrast, import duties at that period were 21 per cent of trade turnover.

British rule had not promoted industrialization in India either. Japan and China were not colonized by the British; they remained independent. The Indian steel industry started fifteen years later than in China, where the first steel mill was built at Hangyang in 1896. The first Japanese mill was built in 1898. In both China and Japan the first steel mills (and the first textile mills) were government enterprises, whereas in India the government did its best to promote imports from Britain.

Until the end of the Napoleonic wars, cotton manufactures had been India's main

export. They reached their peak in 1798, and in 1813 they still amounted to £2 million, but thereafter they fell rapidly. Thirty years later, half of Indian imports were cotton textiles from Manchester. This collapse in India's main export caused a problem for the Company, which had to find ways to convert its rupee revenue into resources transferable to the UK. The Company therefore promoted exports of raw materials on a larger scale, including indigo, and opium, which were traded against Chinese tea. These dope-peddling efforts provoked the Anglo-Chinese war of 1842 in which the British drug-pushers won and forced China to accept more and more opium.

Financial Exploitation of India:

Until 1898 India, like most Asian countries, was on the silver standard. In 1898, India under British rule, had to adopt a gold exchange standard which tied the Rupee to Pound at a fixed value of 15 to 1, thus forcing India to export more for smaller amount of British goods. This was another kind of exploitation of the Indian people making them poorer and poorer.

Another important effect of foreign rule on the long-run growth potential of the

economy was the fact that a large part of its potential savings was siphoned abroad. There can be no denial that there was a substantial outflow, which lasted for 190 years. If

these funds had been invested in India they could have made a significant contribution to raising income levels.

The first generation of British rulers was rapacious. Clive took quarter of a million

Pounds for himself as well as a jagir worth £27,000 a year, the Viceroy received £25,000 a year, and governors £10,000. The starting salary in the engineering service was £420 a year or about sixty-times the average income of the Indian labor force. From 1757 to 1919, India also had to meet administrative expenses in London, first of the East India Company, and then of the India Office, as well as other minor but irritatingly extraneous charges. The cost of British staff was raised by long home leave in the UK, early retirement and lavish amenities in the form of subsidized housing, utilities, rest houses, etc. Under the rule of the East India Company, official transfers to the UK rose gradually until they reached about £3.5 million in 1856, the year before the mutiny.

In addition, there were private remittances.

D. Naoroji, (in Poverty and Un-British Rule in India, London, 1901) suggests that the annual remittances including business profits from mainly India and to a limited extent from China were already 6 million in 1838. R.P. Dutt argues that 'the spoliation of India was the hidden source of accumulation which played an all important role in helping to make possible the Industrial Revolution in England' (in Economic History of India, London, 1897)

In the twenty years 1835-54, India's average annual balance on trade and bullion was favorable by about £4.5 million a year. During the period of direct British rule from 1858 to 1947, official transfers of funds to the UK by the colonial government were called the "Home Charges". They mainly represented debt service, pensions, India Office expenses in the UK, purchases of military items and railway equipment. Government procurement of civilian goods, armaments and shipping was carried out almost exclusively in the UK. By the 1930s these home charges were in the range of £40 to £50 million a year. Some of these flows would have occurred in a non-colonial economy, e.g. debt service on loans used to finance railway development, but a large part of the debt was incurred as a result of colonial wars. Some government expenditure was on imports, which an independent government would have bought from local manufacturers. Of these official payments, we can legitimately consider service charges on non-productive debt, pensions and furlough payments as a balance of payment drain due to colonialism.

There were also substantial private remittances by British officials in India either as savings or to meet educational and other family charges in the UK. In the inter-war period, these amounted to about £10 million a year, and Naoroji estimated that they were running at the same level in 1887. These items were clearly the result of colonial rule.

In addition, there were dividend and interest remittances by shipping and banking interests, plantations, and other British investors. The total 'drain' due to government pensions and leave payments, interest on non-railway official debt, private remittances for education and savings, and a third commercial profits amounted to about 1.5 per cent of national income of undivided India from 1921 to 1938 and was probably a little larger before that. Net investment was about 5 per cent of national income at the end of British rule, so about a quarter of Indian savings were transferred out of the economy, and foreign exchange was lost which could have paid for imports of capital goods.

As a consequence of this foreign drain the Indian balance of trade and bullion was always positive. In spite of its constant favorable balance of trade, India acquired substantial debts. By1939 foreign assets in India amounted to $2.8 billion, of which about $1.5 billion was government-bonded debt and the rest represented direct investment (mainly tea, other plantations and the jute industry).

India did not reduce its foreign debt during the First World War as many other

developing countries did. Instead, there were two 'voluntary' war gifts to the UK amounting to £150 million ($730 million). India also contributed one-and-a-quarter million troops, which were financed from the Indian budget. The 'drain' of funds to England continued in the interwar years because of home charges and profit remittances.

There was also a small outflow of British capital. In the depression of 1929-33, many developing countries defaulted on foreign debt or froze dividend transfers, but this was not possible for India. The currency was kept at par with sterling and devalued in 1931, but the decisions were based on British rather than Indian needs. Furthermore, the salaries of civil servants remained at high level, and the burden of official transfers increased in a period of falling prices.

During the Second World War, India's international financial position was transformed.

Indian war finance was much more inflationary than in the UK and prices rose threefold, so these local costs of troop support were extremely high in terms of Pound, as the exchange rate remained unchanged.

For the last fifty years of British rule there is no increase in per capita income. The most noticeable change in the economy was the rise in population from about 170 million to 420 million from 1757 to 1947. Very little incentive was provided for investment and almost nothing was done to promote technical change in agriculture. At the bottom of society the position of sharecropping tenant and landless laborers remained wretched.

Meanwhile Indian taxes funded Britain's Indian army, which was used to expand the empire into Africa and Asia and which made a major contribution to defending the same empire in two world wars--all at no cost to the 'home' country! Lord Salisbury said India 'was an English barrack in the Oriental seas from which we may draw any number of troops without paying for them'.

Man-Made Famines in British India: :facepalm:

The British brought an unsympathetic and ruthless economic agenda to India" and that "the creation of famine" was brought about by British "sequestration and export of food for enhanced commercial gain." Three important factors caused devastating famines in India under British rule. First, India's indigenous textile industries were destroyed by London's high tariffs and the import of cheap British manufactured products, impoverishing millions of town dwellers, who were forced into the countryside to compete for dwindling land. Second, India's traditional granary reserve system, designed to offset the impact of bad harvests, was dismantled. Third, India's peasants were pressured into growing crops for export, making them dependent on fluctuating world market prices for their means of subsistence. As a result, tens of millions of people died of starvation. These famines were not caused by shortages of food. They took place at the very same time that annual grain exports from India were increasing.

One third of the population of the then province of Bengal, which includes today's Bangladesh, West Bengal, Orissa, Bihar and South Assam, were wiped out in the famine of 1770, immediately after Bengal was occupied by the British Easy India Company, due to their inhuman tax system. According to author Mike Davis, during the famine of 1876, "the newly constructed railroads, lauded as institutional safeguards against famine, were instead used by merchants to ship grain inventories from outlying drought stricken districts to central depots for hoarding...In Madras city, overwhelmed by 100,000 drought refugees, famished peasants dropped dead in front of the troops guarding pyramids of imported rice."

The British refused to provide adequate relief for famine victims on the grounds that this would encourage indolence. Sir Richard Temple, who was selected to organize famine relief efforts in 1877, set the food allotment for starving Indians at 16 ounces of rice per day--less than the diet for inmates at the Buchenwald concentration camp for the Jews in Hitler's Germany. British disinclination to respond with urgency and vigor to food deficits resulted in a succession of about two dozen appalling famines during the British occupation of India. These swept away tens of millions of people. The frequency of famine showed a disconcerting increase in the nineteenth century," under the British rule

(in Famines in India, Asia Publishing House, Bombay, 1963).

Very few would be aware of the horrendous calamities inflicted on Indians by the British. The annual death rate in 1877 in British labor camps during the Deccan famine was about 94%. Extraordinarily low population growth between 1870 and 1930 (due to famine, malnourishment-exacerbated disease and cholera, plague and influenza epidemics) was due to this exploitative policy. In 1943 Bengal Famine in British-ruled India about 5 million people were perished, but it was never mentioned in the British history books, because it was caused by a deliberate British "scorched earth policy" to deprive the Azad Hind Army and the Japanese to receive any support from the local people.

The annual death rate in India before 1920 was about 4.8% but this declined to 3.5% by 1947 and is presently about 0.9%( India - Population). Using a baseline "expected" annual death rate value of 1.0% and assuming an "actual" pre-1920 value of 4.8% one can estimated that the avoidable (excess) mortality was about 0.6 billion during 1757-1837, 0.5 billion during 1837-1901 and 0.4 billion during 1901-1947. Thus the British rule of India was associated with an excess (i.e. avoidable) mortality totaling 1.5 billion – surely one of the greatest crimes in all of human history.

An extraordinary feature of the appalling record of British imperialism with respect to genocide and mass, worldwide killing of huge numbers of people (by war disease and famine) is its absence from public perception. There is no mention of famine in India or Bengal in the British textbooks of history. New historians in India are now putting the blame on the victims. Meghnad Desai in his article in Cambridge History of India puts the blame on the Indian speculators; Amartya Sen suggested (in 'Ingredients of Famine Analysis', Quarterly Journal of Economics, Vol XCVI, 1981) that people in that area had eaten too much to create the famine.

Conclusion:

The progress made in India under British Rule like the coming of railways, Postal System, Telegraphic communications, etc., were all undertaken by the British Administration to facilitate their rule. The aim of British policy was to integrate the Indian economy with that of the British in way such that India supplied Great Britain with cheap raw material for being manufactured into valued-added (costly) finished products. It is not true that if India remained independent it could not have developed railways or telegraphic system; Japan or Thailand was never colonized but they have today much better infrastructure than that in India.

India during the British rule was to provide a ready captive market for British goods made from Indian raw materials. The resultant enrichment and industrial development was to take place in Britain and not in India. Thus at the dawn of independence, India inherited an economy that had the worst features of both the feudal and the industrial ages without the advantages of either. As Rabindranath Tagore wrote in 1941, in his letter from the deathbed to British member of parliament Mrs.Rothbone, that ""¦in the Soviet Union illiteracy was eradicated with two decades but in India even after two centuries of British rule only 15 percent of the Indians were literate".

Priyadarsi Dutta, parliamentary secretary to Balbir Punj, the chairman of the BJP's think-tank, wrote in The Organizer, the organ of the R.S.S on 28 May 2006, that the British rule was only a learning process emphasizing the positive aspects of the British empire as written in the history text books in Britain. Thus, they are suggesting that thousands of our heroes and heroines of the freedom struggle who had sacrificed their lives to liberate India were all very stupid. This is the indication of cultural imperialism, which is bound to take place in India along with the 'globalization', and the 'economic reforms' put forward by no other than the Anglo-American economists and policy-makers.

santosh10

Business of India was almost totally owned by the Hindus till the time of British Rule

along with Maratha Empire controlling the major parts of India that time

just to improve GK, general knowledge, we have map of India in 18th century as below, when British came here. facts about India is discussed in the thread as below, for more details.
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/religion-culture/64568-bharat-ek-khoj-discovery-india.html

Hindus during the time of Mughal Rule

there are many stories based on bluffs in market, but we do know that total wealth of India was owned by either Hindu businessmen when British arrived here, or the Muslims rulers who used to receive taxes from these Hindu businessmen, the regional Hindu Kings working under those Muslim Rulers till the Mughal Rule of 15th to 17th century.
but when British came to India, the Mughal Rule had been virtually ended by the Maratha Empire. even if you see Today's Pakistan ruled by Durrani Empire till late 18th century in the above picture, while British East India company controlling Bengal region as whole, the businessmen in these two Muslim ruled states were mainly the Hindus (the states of Durrani and British's Bengal).....

for Example, along with the facts of Calcutta, which was 'owned' by Hindu businessmen, almost, just google and get it confirmed, 'almost' every form of business of Lahore-Pakistan was controlled by the Hindu businessmen till 1947, at the time of freedom. we generally know Muslims rulers and very poor/lower caste converting into Islam during 15th to 17th century of Mughal Rule :ranger:

(Area of Republic of India stands at around 3.15million km square at present......)

The Maratha Empire or the Maratha Confederacy was an Indian imperial power that existed from 1674 to 1818. At its peak, the empire covered much of the subcontinent, encompassing a territory of over 2.8 million km². The Marathas are credited with ending the Mughal rule in India.[2][3]

The Marathas remained the preeminent power in India until their defeat in the Second and Third Anglo-Maratha wars (1805–1818), which left the British East India Company in control of most of India. :uk:

Maratha Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
=>

@mikhail

just to put more information, i just posted a movie Lagaan on DFI as below. in between 4.20min to 6.20min, here we find 2 Hindu Kings paying Lagaan to the British Rulers, which was of similar fashion to what it used to be during the time of Mughal Empire in India during 14th to 16th century. the Central government of Mughal Rule, receiving Jajiya Tax from the regional Hindu kings.....
[video=dailymotion;x11b2p]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11b2p_lagaan-1_shortfilms[/video]
similarly, when we discuss about the businesses owned by Hindus during Mughal Rule of 14th to 16th century itself, it was all about a local Punjabi speaking businessman to the people of his region and receiving Lagaan/selling products, making money and paying tax to his regional Hindu king, and then that Hindu King then transfer a part of that tax to the Central Government of Mughal Rule of his time. similarly a Bengali or Tamil Hindu businessman doing business in their region and paying tax. hence obviously the businesses were owned by those who have direct contact with the people in that areas......

and Marathas are credited to establish a Central government of these regional Kings/landlords, after replacing Mughals, which then continued in a similar fashion till the early 18th century of British rule.....

Last edited by a moderator:

santosh10

For example of the above class. Marathas never allowed Sati in their region, while most of the Sati cases were found in the British's ruled Bengal of India itself......

which simply means that British Rule ended 'Sati' in that Bengal, where they themselves wanted it to happen. on the other side, Hindu Marath's never allowed these evil acts in India who controlled over 80% of India by then.....

and many historian argue that there was nothing like even Dalit in Hindu history, but it was a caste introduced by the invaders to promote conversion of Hindus to Islam. Muslim rulers introduced this Dalit Caste in India. means, first create a caste 'Dalit Caste' of Hindus, to then convert them into Muslims......

A local indication of the numbers is given in the records kept by the Bengal Presidency of the British East India Company. The total figure of known occurrences for the period 1813 to 1828 is 8,135; another source gives a comparable number of 7,941 from 1815 to 1828, thus giving an average of about 507 to '567' documented incidents per year in that period. Raja Ram Mohan Roy estimated that there were ten times as many cases of Sati in Bengal compared to the rest of the country.[41][42] Bentinck, in his 1829 report, states that 420 occurrences took place in one (unspecified) year in the 'Lower Provinces' of Bengal, Bihar and Orissa, and 44 in the 'Upper Provinces' (the upper Gangetic plain).

Sati (practice) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

santosh10

We invaded Pakistan and liberated Bangladesh.
Liberation of Bangladesh was because of Punjabi-Bengali speaking Muslim conflicts within. India had to interfere when refugees from East Pakistan/Bangladesh became a major issue for India, the nation.......

and this is how Muslim Nations stand, in fact. now we find Shia-Sunni ongoing conflicts in Pakistan while Bangladesh is full of attacks on its monirites, as discussed in the thread as below :thumb:

=> http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...gs-new-challenge-delhi-police.html#post953480

Ancient Indian

p = np :)
@santosh10
post #14
"and the best part of his life was the way India's Father of Nation died, after being shot down by a Hindu Extremist for favoring Pakistan "
I kind of became touchy when I read that.
Most people don't know what happened then that lead to mass murdering of Hindu people.
I only want to say one thing that
the Iron Man would have annihilated the whole sangh parivar if it is true.
Do these people really think that he had left the RSS with just a slap on the wrist if they are really involved in that murder?

santosh10

@santosh10
post #14
"and the best part of his life was the way India's Father of Nation died, after being shot down by a Hindu Extremist for favoring Pakistan "
I kind of became touchy when I read that.
Most people don't know what happened then that lead to mass murdering of Hindu people.
I only want to say one thing that
the Iron Man would have annihilated the whole sangh parivar if it is true.
Do these people really think that he had left the RSS with just a slap on the wrist if they are really involved in that murder?

hmmm, here i remember my one statement which i have repeated many times, "there is a difference of making statement as compare to 'communicating' somethings. and the most important aspect of a statement lies on the circumstances/ in what reference, it was made."

and here, my post#14 is meant to say that, "even death of Mr Gandhi does state his fairness throughout his life. the best death he could be rewarded, which proved his secular character, which India as a nation may always proud on." over a million deaths occurred during 1946-47 because of partition of India, between Hindu-Muslim-Sikh riots, while the man dying while saying "Hey Ram" during his last breath, wasn't murdered by a Muslim, but by his own religious person.....

and here we find one of those reasons, why he would be known as the greatest Indian of 20th century, as per the topic of the post#14. as per what i may think as a single civilian :thumb:

Rajghat is the last resting place of Mahatma Gandhi, the Father of the Nation. The cremation of Mahatma Gandhi took place at the Delhi Raj Ghat only, on 31st January 1948. The memorial stone of Mahatma Gandhi placed there is a simple square platform made of black stone, with the words "Hey Ram" inscribed near it.

As homage to the Mahatma, an eternal flame, in a copper urn, keeps on burning there. Enclosing the memorial is a low wall, simple with no ornamentation. Every Friday, a remembrance ceremony takes place at the Delhi Raj Ghat National Memorial. :india:

Raj Ghat, Raj Ghat New Delhi, Raj Ghat India

santosh10

NAM may or may not be crap, that's not the issue. Point is, Nehru had enough self-respect to defy the west. That it didn't work is due to betrayal by other countries like china etc. So why blame Nehru, at least he had a vision.
thread: How did the bjp win? #post968848

@genius

thats a good post. you got my first like :thumb:. the above thread was closed so i thought i would answer you here.

a long time before i was watching a documentary on Doordarshan, and the gentleman was asked, "why didn't Nehru follow path of industrialization with Japan/Korea?" and he answered,"because there was no one who could advise him for the same during 50s." and then we find even the second PM of India, Mr LB Shastri for his "Jai Jawan Jai Kisan" slogan. as over 80% population was based in villages only. and none in his ministry or diplomacy could bring his attention toward industrialization, to cope with Japan/Korea during 60s.....

as once you become PM/CM, you are mainly known for those steps you didn't take, including the mistakes you did, ignoring any positive aspect of your decision. people simply remember their leaders for the mistakes/wrong steps, regardless the positive aspects of any decision you top.

similarly, your statement does confirm that there was enough good reasons to be part of NAM, but it couldn't help Mr Nehru to get the success he hoped :ranger:

santosh10

SELECTED LETTERS FROM SELECTED WORKS OF MAHATMA GANDHI

To Subhash Chandra Bose

Birla House,
New Delhi,
2-4-1939

My dear Subhash,

I have yours of 31st march as also the previous one. You are quite frank and I like your letters for the clear enunciation of your views.

The view you express seem to be so diametrically opposed to those of the others and my own that I do not see any possibility of bridging them. I think that such school of thought should be able to put forth its views before the country without any mixture. And if this is honestly done, I do not see why there should be any bitterness engaging in civil war.

What is wrong is not the differences between us but loss of mutual respect and trust. This will be remedied by time which is the best healer. If there is real non-violence in us, there can be no civil war and much bitterness.

Taking all things into consideration, I am of opinion that you should at once form your own Cabinet fully representing your views. Formulate your programme definitely and put it before the forthcoming A. I. C. C. If the Committee accepts the programme all will be plain-sailing and you should be enabled to prosecute it unhampered by the minority. If on the other hand your programme is not accepted you should resign and let the committee choose it president. And you will be free to educate the country along your lines.:coffee: I tender this advice irrespective of Pandit pant's resolution.

My prestige does not count. It has an independent value of its own. When my motive is suspected or my policy or programme rejected by the country, the prestige must go. India will rise and fall by the quality of the sum total of her many millions. :india: Individuals, however high they may be, are of no account except in so far as they represent the many millions. :wave: Therefore let us rule it out of consideration.

I wholly dissent from your view that the country has been never so violent as now. I smell violence in the air I breath. But the violence has pout on a subtle form. Our mutual distrust I a bad form of violence. The widening gulf between Hindus and Mussalmans points to the same thing. I can give further illustrations.

We seem to differ ad to the amount of corruptions in the Congress. My impression is that it is in the increase. I have been pleading for the past many months for a thorough scrutiny.

In these circumstances I se no atmosphere of non-violent mass action. An ultimatum without effective sanction is worse than useless.

But as I have told you that I am an old man perhaps growing timid and over-cautious and you have youth before you and reckless optimism born of youth. I hope you are right. I am wrong. I have the firm belief that the Congress as it is today cannot deliver goods, cannot offer civil disobedience worth the name. Therefore if your prognosis is right, I am s back and played out as the generalissimo of Satyagraha.

I am glad you have mentioned the little Rajkot affair. It brings into prominent relief the different angles from which we look at things. I have nothing to repent of in the steps I have taken I connection with it. I feel that it has great national importance. I have not stopped civil disobedience in the other States for the sake of Rajkot. But Rajkot opened my eyes. It showed me the way. I am not in Delhi for my health. I am reluctantly in Delhi awaiting the Chief Justice's decision. I hold it to be my duty to be in Delhi till the steps to be taken in due fulfillment of the Viceroy's declaration in his last wire to me are finally taken. I may not run any risk. If I was invited the Paramount Power to do its duty, I was bound to be in Delhi to see that the duty as fully performed. I saw nothing wrong in the Chief Justice being appointed the interpreter of the document whose meaning was put in doubt by the Thakor Sahib. By the way, Sir Maurice will examine the document not in his capacity as Chief Justice but as a trained jurist trusted by the Viceroy. By accepting the Viceroy's nominee as judge, I fancy I have shown both wisdom and grace and what is more important I have increased the Vice regal responsibility in the matter,

Though we have discussed sharp differences of opinion between us, I am quite sure that our private relations will not suffer in the least. If they are from the heart, I believe they are, they will bear the strain of these differences.

Love

BAPU :india:

[mkgandhi.org/Selected%20Letters/Selected%20Letters1/letter23.htm]Mahatma Gandhi : Selected Letters]

Bengali Muslims did spying of Netaji, which led his end

INA & Netaji Brought Freedom

youtube.com/watch?v=SKpl7v_c-Qo
I made a post as below, which may have a lace here too, i think :thumb:

and as a free nation, Bangladesh must take side from India now, ...........

no, Netaji just tried and failed, it was a national efforts as whole, why India got freedom in 1947.

India will rise or fall by quality of sum total of her many millions, and it must not include Bangladeshis. :wave:

while on our side, we know that it were mainly the Muslims of Bengal region who did spying, which resulted in end of Netaji :ranger:

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles