Best hatchback cars in India???

sob

Mod
Country flag
For a drive of 50 to 60 kms a day you do not need a Diesel Car. Even if the cost of Diesel is cheaper than petrol please remember that the price difference between the two variants in your segment is more than Rs. 1.25 lakhs.

Based on your running you would be needing about 100 litres of fuel per month. If you opt for diesel than you would save Rs. 2600 per month ( Delhi Rates), so it will take you almost 4 years to recover the cost differential between the cars.

Also please note that for Polo and Fabia Petrol the interval between service is 15,000 kms, while for a diesel car it will be 10,000 kms. So you would be saving money there.

Personally I did the same calculations and bought my wife a POLO petrol last November. In terms of build quality and driving comfort it is the best buy on the road today.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Don't know how good Swift diesels are. My friend had a Zen diesel. It became rickety after about a year. The diesel engines don't treat the joints and welds very well, and the spares and maintenance can cost one dear.
The problem with the old Zen Diesel was that Maruti loaded a Diesel engine on a Chassis meant for Petrol Engine. They did try to strengthen the joints but at best it was a patch work. The new diesel cars are a pleasure to drive, there are no vibrations, sitting inside with the improved HVN systems you could be mistaken to think that you are sitting in a Petrol vehicle.

Blackwater

Don't know how good Swift diesels are. My friend had a Zen diesel. It became rickety after about a year. The diesel engines don't treat the joints and welds very well, and the spares and maintenance can cost one dear.

zen diesel uses old peugoet 1.5 diesel engine. this engine was big for zen small bay ,lot of vibration. same engine is used by premier Rio jeep. Now all tata,maruti,fiat uses fiat 1.3 multijet diesel engine

Blackwater

For a drive of 50 to 60 kms a day you do not need a Diesel Car. Even if the cost of Diesel is cheaper than petrol please remember that the price difference between the two variants in your segment is more than Rs. 1.25 lakhs.

Based on your running you would be needing about 100 litres of fuel per month. If you opt for diesel than you would save Rs. 2600 per month ( Delhi Rates), so it will take you almost 4 years to recover the cost differential between the cars.

Also please note that for Polo and Fabia Petrol the interval between service is 15,000 kms, while for a diesel car it will be 10,000 kms. So you would be saving money there.

Personally I did the same calculations and bought my wife a POLO petrol last November. In terms of build quality and driving comfort it is the best buy on the road today.

u r right. polo or i 20 is good choice if u traveling from 50 to 100km a day

Blackwater

Don't have much experience with cars, but I can add a bit about Tata.

My dad owns a Tata Indigo - not a hatchback, but very similar to the Indica.

I must say, I loved driving it when I was in India. The engine is very powerful and the ride reasonably comfortable.

The wheel alignment was a bit screwed up because our driver likes to show off his driving skills by using the steering wheel a lot to avoid potholes. Not the best experience for passengers, which is probably why I felt a lot of roll when he was driving and I was sitting at the back. I told him to stop his turning left and right to avoid potholes. "Just slow down, keep the steering wheel straight and go over the pothole." He didn't quite like that comment from me.
i also owned indigo sometime back.its really spacious and comfortable. but ask lot of maintenance,especially wheel bearing worn out every 5000km,

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Swift diesel is a great car I have drove Indica turbo and Swift diesel both last month in India, and trust me Swift Diesel is a class apart. I have recommended my father in law to buy it (he is presently driving Alto).

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Don't have much experience with cars, but I can add a bit about Tata.

My dad owns a Tata Indigo - not a hatchback, but very similar to the Indica.

I must say, I loved driving it when I was in India. The engine is very powerful and the ride reasonably comfortable.

The wheel alignment was a bit screwed up because our driver likes to show off his driving skills by using the steering wheel a lot to avoid potholes. Not the best experience for passengers, which is probably why I felt a lot of roll when he was driving and I was sitting at the back. I told him to stop his turning left and right to avoid potholes. "Just slow down, keep the steering wheel straight and go over the pothole." He didn't quite like that comment from me.
Indica sucks. I drive one :(

Blackwater

Swift diesel is a great car I have drove Indica turbo and Swift diesel both last month in India, and trust me Swift Diesel is a class apart. I have recommended my father in law to buy it (he is presently driving Alto).
swift diesel and indica turbo have same engine.how swift is class apart pls glorify??

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Buy any Ford car and you will never repent.....Gone are they days of high priced spare parts, costly servicing and low mileage!! :)

Hence, Figo is a smart Choice!

vikaskumar11233

Tihar Jail
Banned
Hi The enlightened
VW cars are less popular in India its just because people find more better option then VW cars and its service and maintenance is also costly then other cars.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
swift diesel and indica turbo have same engine.how swift is class apart pls glorify??
I am not a technology guy but swift was way too smooth, easy to handle/manoeuvre, less bumpy, more spacious and less noisy. I used both cars for one month in city and long drives from Punjab to Delhi, Himachal and J&K (any available at time). Both cars were of my brother in law, he himself rated Swift better than Indica, he and my sister are using both cars for last three years.

Blackwater

Hi The enlightened
VW cars are less popular in India its just because people find more better option then VW cars and its service and maintenance is also costly then other cars.
hahhahaha. beta who said VW cars are not popular in india. Skoda, Porche and Audi is also VW. Dont tel me Skoda are not popular in india.

I think Audi,Skoda,VW,Porche are the most respected and popular brand

Blackwater

I am not a technology guy but swift was way too smooth, easy to handle/manoeuvre, less bumpy, more spacious and less noisy. I used both cars for one month in city and long drives from Punjab to Delhi, Himachal and J&K (any available at time). Both cars were of my brother in law, he himself rated Swift better than Indica, he and my sister are using both cars for last three years.
see technically both are share same engine fiat's 1.3L diesel.i dont know how one engine is noisy than other lolllllll. only difference is the body. Indica is more spacious than swift. interior wise swift might score than indica

yes swift has more second hand value

Tolaha

VW cars are one of toughest. polo is very strong car
VW Polo has to be the best in build quality among hatchbacks. Love the sound when you shut the door of a Polo.
Even the Fabia as Skoda's are just rebadged.

Hi The enlightened
That is in general the difference in design philosophy between European and Hyundai/Suzuki/Indian cars. European cars are not as maintenance intensive. They build it to last longer. But yes, if anything is wrong, it takes much more amount to fix.

Tolaha

see technically both are share same engine fiat's 1.3L diesel.i dont know how one engine is noisy than other lolllllll. only difference is the body. Indica is more spacious than swift. interior wise swift might score than indica

yes swift has more second hand value
Maruti, Indica, Fiat have the same diesel multijet engines running their cars. I guess more than half of diesel cars in India run on Fiat engines.

vikaskumar11233

Tihar Jail
Banned
Hi guys
I am here with another hot news that soon a new hatch back will be touching the Indian roads. As General Motors is all set to roll out Sail hatchback by June or July 2012. General Motors is planning to amplify its market share which is currently 6.5 percent. The American car brand has shifted its focus towards small cars and the MPV car market. After the launch of Chevrolet Sail hatch the company will roll out the revamped Chevrolet Captiva SUV followed by an all new MPV in the year end.

ashicjose

try a-star automatic if you don't bother about mileage (city 10-12,highway 15-17) its very cool to drive and you can get it @ 4.7 lakh on road(with ABS ,4power windows,powerful A/C,internally adjustable rear view mirros etc.)
The cons are low luggage space and overtaking while you are at low speed.

peacecracker

tata vista diesel quadrajet hatchback is really a surprise considering it is from a Indian manufacturer. build quality is good. cabin is rattle and noise free. crdi fiat multijet diesel engine(same as in swift,ritz,punto etc) more space and comfort. and yet cheaper than maruti swift diesel by a good margin.

negatives are: tata service support is not up to the mark, resale value if you intend to sell after 3-4 years(due to tata's indica and taxi image),not a good handling car ..but overall it is a economic option.

@Chevrolet "Sail" - it is Cheen ka Maal..
another Chinese examples on Indian roads:
Premier "Rio" mini suv - Zotye Nomad II
Force One SuV - Body Shell is that of Chinese " guangdong Foday Explorer 3"

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles