Berlusconi vows to leave 'shitty' Italy

Oracle

Transcripts from conversation recorded by police during blackmail investigation reveal the Italian PM's frustration with his country

Rome: In a sign of his frustration at the investigations into his alleged crimes and misdemeanours, Silvio Berlusconi vowed in July to leave Italy, which he described as a "shitty country" that "sickened" him, the Guardian reported on Thursday.

The Italian prime minister's astonishing remarks are contained in the transcript of a telephone conversation secretly recorded by police investigating claims he was being blackmailed about his sex life.

At dawn on Thursday, police swooped on a flat near Via Veneto – one of Rome's most expensive streets – to arrest Giampaolo Tarantini, a central figure in a scandal that threatened to bring down Berlusconi two years ago.

Tarantini's wife, Angela Devenuto, was also taken into custody and a search launched for a third person. The arrest warrant shows that the three are accused of extorting at least £440,000 "as well as other benefits of economic significance". Berlusconi has admitted paying the couple, but said he did so voluntarily.

Two years ago, Tarantini, a businessman from Bari in southern Italy, said he supplied 30 women for parties at the prime minister's Roman palazzo. He told police at least six women spent the night there.

According to the judicial arrest warrant issued on Thursday, a third person – Valter Lavitola, the editor of a small newspaper – maintained direct contact with Berlusconi and received the cash in monthly instalments from the prime minister's personal secretary.

It was in a phone conversation with Lavitola late on July 13 that Berlusconi reportedly erupted in anger. "They can say about me that I scr*w. It's the only thing they can say about me. Is that clear?" he said to the man allegedly blackmailing him. "They can put listening devices where they like. They can tap my telephone calls. I don't give a f**k. I "¦ In a few months, I'm getting out to mind my own f**king business, from somewhere else, and so I'm leaving this shitty country of which I'm sickened."

Details of the latest investigation were leaked last month in a news magazine belonging to Berlusconi. The magazine, Panorama, claimed the prosecutors believed Tarantini was being paid to stop him contradicting the prime minister's claim that he was unaware that some of the women who visited his home were prostitutes.

Berlusconi told the magazine: "I helped someone and a family with children who found themselves and continue to find themselves in very serious financial difficulty. I didn't do anything illegal."

BM

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
What's so earth shaking about it.

Even our own Sonia has left 'shitty' Italy!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I think it would be the other round as well. Italy would love Shitty Berlo to leave!!

Oracle

While Italy is reeling under debt crisis, Berlusconi has all the time for romps. Hardly anyone would miss him if he leaves Italy.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Who is the alternative in Italy (leaving aside the joke of deporting Madam there to help the Italians).
They anyways don't support Indian bid to UNSC seat. I'd like to know if anyone with different views could be near the throne.

Regards,
Virendra

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles