Being an ordinary woman in India

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Not that i am living in india , but seeing the way women are treated there not the special politicians but just the woman next door ... one wonders if some of the defence budget being spent to defend the borders might better be spent defending women in the cities ....... strippped in public, molested ( and worse ) by presidential guard then required to go through the whole ordeal 5 years later instead of getting swift justice and being able to go on with what's left of life . I unnerstan the female mayor of delihi has done a lot , but i wonder if it is the attitudes of the men that in fact needs to be changed
Especially if you are a woman on this forum, please comment and discuss.

Antimony

Not that i am living in india , but seeing the way women are treated there not the special politicians but just the woman next door ... one wonders if some of the defence budget being spent to defend the borders might better be spent defending women in the cities ....... strippped in public, molested ( and worse ) by presidential guard then required to go through the whole ordeal 5 years later instead of getting swift justice and being able to go on with what's left of life . I unnerstan the female mayor of delihi has done a lot , but i wonder if it is the attitudes of the men that in fact needs to be changed
Especially if you are a woman on this forum, please comment and discuss.
Social change is required. But you do realize that legally women do enjoy a lot of privileges in India?

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
antimony .... hey thanks for reply ....i never questioned theat women who are politically or professionally known and thus protected are possibly better off than elsewhere .... for example there was a move to get the parliament to be one third women .... at the hiher level the i-men treat their women better than any other ( do i get an applause for that ? ) but below that is is pitiful .... in the chinese diaspora i.e. overseas chines their treatment of even the "lowest " woman who has no protection is most commendable ....hope IN can do the same ....

Country flag
I would say Indian women have it better than many other women in the continent, Indian laws are based on British laws so women are protected by law but how the individuals treat their wives or other women in society would vary, and depend on the individual.

Antimony

antimony .... hey thanks for reply ....i never questioned theat women who are politically or professionally known and thus protected are possibly better off than elsewhere .... for example there was a move to get the parliament to be one third women .... at the hiher level the i-men treat their women better than any other ( do i get an applause for that ? ) but below that is is pitiful .... in the chinese diaspora i.e. overseas chines their treatment of even the "lowest " woman who has no protection is most commendable ....hope IN can do the same ....
It depends on communities. I will go out on a limb and say that irrespective of economic status, women probably enjoy a greater degree of emancipation in the East and South compared to the North.

In Bengal at least, women are fairly emancipated
In the South there are some matriarchal societies, as opposed to patriarchal societies across Indian and most of the world.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Ruchika case: Shock, anger over teen molestor's sentence

Ruchika case: Shock, anger over teen molestor's sentence

NDTV Correspondent, Tuesday December 22, 2009, New Delhi

Two teenage girls, best friends and neighbours, watched television as Steffi Graf battled Monica Seles on August 12, 1990. Itching to imitate those serves and volleys, 14-year-old Ruchika Girhotra and Aradhana Parkash headed straight to the tennis court in their hometown Chandigarh.

It turned into a day that would scar them so badly, that one of them would be pushed to death. (Read and Watch: Senior cop molested teen who killed herself)

During their game, they were summoned to the office of the President of the Haryana Lawn Tennis Federation. He was also one of Haryana's most-senior policemen. S P S Rathore asked Aradhana to leave his office. When she returned, he was molesting her best friend. He stopped when he realised he had been caught.

Ruchika's own mother had died when she was 11. She confided in Aradhana's family. The Parkashes immediately adopted Ruchika's battle as their own; a battle that pitted them against a powerful policeman with hefty political connections. A police inquiry found Rahore guilty. Not surprisingly, his own force refused to take any action against him.

Men who followed them everywhere threatened the families. Ruchika found herself expelled from school three years later. Her brother was arrested for half a dozen car thefts. Overwhelmed by what her family was going through, Ruchika, now 17, killed herself by drinking poison. The cases against her brother were dropped after that. The Girhotras left Chandigarh.

Aradhana, however, vowed to fight for her friend. Her family won a CBI inquiry for the case in 2000. (Watch: Justice for Ruchika: Friends seek public support | Read: Her best friend's crusade for justice)

But the charges against Rathore were a pale version of what Aradhana wanted. Instead of abetment of suicide amounting to murder, Rathore was accused of molestation.

The CBI said that because Ruchika had killed herself three years after the molestation, her death could not be linked to Rathore. Oddly enough, the CBI's own chargesheet contradicts that. It says, "The investigation has also disclosed that after the incident of molestation of Ms Ruchika remained confined to her house and remained depressed. Later, she committed suicide."

Through this, Rathore's career flourished. He retired as Haryana's most-senior policeman, the Director General of Police, in 2002. (Watch: How did such a police officer get promoted: Ambika Soni)

Om Prakash Chautala, who was the chief minister during this time, denies that he sanctioned Rathore's promotions. Chautala told NDTV on Tuesday that his sympathies lie with Ruchika's family, and that he wishes the verdict against Rathore had been more severe. (Read: Age and lengthy trial helped Rathore)

That verdict has stumped everyone - six months awarded on Monday to a man found guilty of molesting a teenager. Rathore was granted bail immediately, so he will spend no time in prison. He says he will appeal against the verdict. His other comment: "It's a very old issue. Forget about it now." (Read: Charges against Rathore not serious enough?)

The CBI, which investigated the case, says it will consider appealing for a tougher sentence. (Forum: Is six months enough for such a crime? | Read surfer comments)

In Parliament, Rajya Sabha MP Brinda Karat raised the shocking verdict. "The Ruchika case reveals the sickness in our system. The criminal policeman has been promoted while the brother of the victim had fake cases registered against him. How long will such a system prevail? I appeal to the Home Minister and Law Minister to reform our justice system for victims of sexual assault." (Watch: Verdict is a national shame: Arun Jaitley)

~

my comments are based on the forum which ndtv held ; basiclally the police are a major part of the predators on indian women and women are simply not safe in their own country

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Indian Laws are with Women, it's easier for a woman to get special treatment in the court of Law, in fact an inclination towards women can be seen in Law as well as court judgments.Family courts in general has a tendency in women's favor...Criminal laws deal them softly...there are certain exemptions which men can't get from law but women can.

All that a woman needs is equal position in society, all the civil & human rights.Which I think is now available for an educated woman in India.So far as case posted above is concerned, policeman is guilty for that and he must be punished definitely for more than six months . It has nothing to do with femininity.Whenever policemen do a crime (anycrime) it always become harder to punish them.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles