Beijing seeks a safe haven in Europe's Financial Capital

HMS Astute

China Plans $170 billion Investment in UK Infrastructure by 2025

The Financial Times, citing the research, reported that China is set to invest £105bn ($170bn, €133bn) in British infrastructure by 2025. The world's second largest economy will primarily invest in the UK's energy, property and transport infrastructure.

China is planning massive investment in the UK infrastructure by 2025, as Beijing seeks a safe haven for outbound investment, according to research conducted by London-based Centre for Economics and Business Research and the law firm Pinsent Masons. China has already invested £11.7bn in Britain between 2005 and 2013. The investment includes sovereign wealth fund China Investment Corporation's acquisition of a 10% stake in Thames Water, Britain's biggest water utility.

The spending is expected to increase significantly, as China looks for safe haven assets to invest in.The investment would be a "game changer" for the UK, according to Richard Laudy, a partner at Pinsent Masons. "We expect this to be the beginning of a major trend as a trickle of Chinese investment turns into a wave over the coming decade," Laudy added.

The UK is expected to rank No 3 in attracting investment from China behind the US and Japan.

China Plans £105bn Investment in British Infrastructure by 2025

pmaitra

So PRC is taking over UK's utilities (even if it is 10%). I wonder whether this is a good news for the UK, or for PRC. Apparently, for both, if it goes through, i.e..

BTW, titles are fine, but the main content, in my personal opinion, are more readable if they are left justified; but to each poster, his own.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles