Beijing, China pollution level goes from 'hazardous' to off the charts, literally

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I think I am contributing constructively by bringing New Delhi, which is said to be more polluted than Beijing, into this thread,

We are talking about air pollution, aren't we? Air pollution in democracy is also air pollution.

Analysing air pollution in India can do as much good as it can by Analysing air pollution in China.
You are deflecting the issue by

1. Bringing in India when the topic is about China

2. Using a one off reading (of a monday afternoon in november) mentioned in a blog post to discredit claims of thousands of sources.

3. By being in Denial about the extent of the problem

4. By denying that over the last 1 week , the air pollution in Beijing has been 'beyond index' and ist several dozen times higher than what is considered hazardous.

"One prime example was last Sunday, when the pollution was literally off the U.S. Embassy air monitor scale, hitting a level described as "beyond index." In contrast, according to the Beijing Municipal Bureau of Environmental Protection, the air pollution was "light.""
Clean Air A 'Luxury' In Beijing's Pollution Zone : NPR

Beijing Municipal Bureau of Environmental Protection FTW.

PS: In most Chinese towns and cities I went to, it was not uncommon to not see the sun for a few days to weeks.

ice berg

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the dangerous levels of pollution in China and Beijing in particular.

I feel it is important for more and more DFItes and laowis to learn about this and discuss it. If you think it is irrelevant, you may kindly use the report button or pm one of the other staff members.

I request you to please contribute constructively, and not derail this thread.
I am sure those laowais who are actually living in those major cities have a first hand experience on this. They dont need to read about air pollution, they know.

nimo_cn

Country flag
I think air pollution anywhere since it leads to respiratory diseases.
Thanks, that is diplomatic answer which I can't dispute.

If I was to answer that question, I am gonna say Beijing, because that is a Chinese city. You see, we Chinese, in most cases only care about Chinese. We, unlike Indians, have the mood to be concerned by air pollution in a foreign country.

Anyway, i like your answer, which at least means I am doing nothing wrong by bringing up New Delhi. Air pollution in New Delhi should be as equally important as it is Beijing.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Ok, so you agree that the purpose of bringing the article "Showing mirror for free", has failed.
It is expected to fail as long as Indians care China more than they care India.

agentperry

pollution kills.how many high valued pla commanders are living in beijing?

nimo_cn

Country flag
So what if there is air pollution in Delhi?. Why you always get riled up whenever something is written negative facts about China and immediately bring in something from India for comparison and derail the thread. Its better for you to always stick to the topic.

Anymore off-topic posts will be deleted.
I am stcking to the topic as long as this thread is about learning from air pollution.

I am able to bring in something from India because India isn't that perfect, if you people truely want to learn something, learn from your own country. In this case, if you want to learn something about air pollution, discuss air pollution India, as India never lacks air pollution, unless you just want to ridicule and bash China in the name of environment.

Delete as you wish, censorship has been everywhere, why should it be absent here.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I am sure those laowais who are actually living in those major cities have a first hand experience on this. They dont need to read about air pollution, they know.
laowis living in northern china would, those living elsewhere wouldn't.

Thanks, that is diplomatic answer which I can't dispute.

If I was to answer that question, I am gonna say Beijing, because that is a Chinese city. You see, we Chinese, in most cases only care about Chinese. We, unlike Indians, have the mood to be concerned by air pollution in a foreign country.

Anyway, i like your answer, which at least means I am doing nothing wrong by bringing up New Delhi. Air pollution in New Delhi should be as equally important as it is Beijing.
You are free to discuss Delhi pollution in another thread. Anecdotally and Statistically Delhi air quality has improved over the last decade.

It is expected to fail as long as Indians care China more than they care India.
I like the way you deflect arguments. You should try for politics in a democracy.

Although the whole world has taken notice of this news, perhaps the whole world cares more about China. isn't that sweet ?

PS: I sympathize with Beijing residents whom the government is trying to hoodwink by claiming the pollution levels are light.

ice berg

laowis living in northern china would, those living elsewhere wouldn't.

Laowais living in a polluted chinese city will. The rest dont give a darn. Most are there for quick bucks. Lets not pretend they care one way or another.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Laowais living in a polluted chinese city will. The rest dont give a darn. Most are there for quick bucks. Lets not pretend they care one way or another.
That is why I feel strange that something like this is being dicussed at this defence forum. Except the thread starter, how many of people here are living in Beijing, or are planning moving to Beijing?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
If people don't care China more than their own country, why would they discuss air pollution in Beijing instead of New Delhi?
Stop BSing, and answer the question, the thread is about Beijing pollution, so what role does Delhi plays here.

agentperry

beijing is polluted thats why chinese govt stopped many of the industries in the vicinity all thru the olympics. if surrounding industries had no impact on chinese capital then they would have allowed them to go on even in olympics.

it simply proves the point that beijing is getting polluted.

situation will be worse if its all thru the capital and not restricted to some parts only. then we may call it some serious trouble.
else it happens. cities surrounded by industries do face such trouble and china- highly industrialized nation is no exception

ice berg

That is why I feel strange that something like this is being dicussed at this defence forum. Except the thread starter, how many of people here are living in Beijing, or are planning moving to Beijing?
Obviously it is for people currently not living in China, but may have an interest in this. It is hardly new that China got a pollution problem. I think anyone who read newspaper or have a TV know that.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Stop BSing, and answer the question, the thread is about Beijing pollution, so what role does Delhi plays here.
BSing? I love reading your posts when you are mad because the nerve is being hit.

I have explained to you why I think Indians care China more than India, you just don't get it. But sorry, my poor English ability prohibits me from making a more simple explanation.

If you disgree with me over the conclusion that the Indians care China more than India, please explain to me why would they discuss air pollution in Beijing instead of New Delhi?

Delhi here plays the role as a mirror, I have made that clear in my first post.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
BSing? I love reading your posts when you are mad because the nerve is being hit.

I have explained to you why I think Indians care China more than India, you just don't get it. But sorry, my poor English ability prohibits me from making a more simple explanation.

If you disgree with me over the conclusion that the Indians care China more than India, please explain to me why would they discuss air pollution in Beijing instead of New Delhi?

Delhi here plays the role as a mirror, I have made that clear in my first post.
You "mirror" has failed, as it has been based on dubious statistics. No Delhi does not plays any role in this thread, if you disagree with the thread topic post something concrete that the news is wrong.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles