Battle of the Bulge

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
More pictures at original link.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
Thank you for posting pictures. While growing up in 60's, I use to look forward to movies from west based on second world war stories. To this day when, I visualize the landing on Normandy beach of all the war theatres sends chill through my entire body. I am in awe watching these young sons of our land walking in to the on coming fire from enemy without any fear. One has to be exceptionally brave and self motivated to take on the rascals of that era.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
SADAKHUSH
I am in awe watching these young sons of our land walking in to the on coming fire from enemy without any fear.
They were heroes. I am equally in awe of US Civil War infantry standing in ranks exchanging volleys with the enemy. I would have been like Henry Fleming in The Red Badge of Courage.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
With every generation the war gets easier but more complicated.

You think fighting in hordes with swords was an easy task ? id pick a gun fight anyday over a sword or axe one.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
"Let us pass over the river and rest under the shade of the trees."
Last words of Thomas Jonathan 'Stonewall' Jackson, Guinea Station, Virginia, 3:15 pm Sunday, May 10, 1863

W.G.Ewald

Professional

You think fighting in hordes with swords was an easy task ? id pick a gun fight anyday over a sword or axe one.
From Mosby's War Reminiscences by John S. Mosby

"I had no faith in the sabre as a weapon. I only made the men draw their sabres to prevent them from wasting their fire before they got to closer quarters."

Also supposed to have said,
"If you're close enough to stick 'em, you're close enough to shoot 'em."

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
W.G. Ewald:

Your post have raised my curiosity about the war history of USA of the bygone era. I am read as much as possible given the time constraints in todays age we all face. Thank you once again.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
OT, sorry but when I first read the title I thought it was the bulge many of us suffer from!!!

SADAKHUSH

Country flag

I agree with you it is hard for us to imagine the scenario of those times. One has to be fearless and I wonder how they prepared themselves mentally to go to war knowing well the outcome.

It is going to be more complex in the near future once the nations start introducing robotic weapons in the war zones.:scared1:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I fear the day when robotic weapons become the primary weapons in combat. That would be the day that war simply becomes a game for the people behind the scenes. Right now people naturally try to avoid war because no one wants the bloodshed and human destruction associated with it. But if humans are removed from war, those sentiments will no longer exist.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

Agree. A bullet will in all probably kill immediately but having multiple cuts of sword or spear wounds will take like a little slowly and its quite "cruel" a death.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
I fear the day when robotic weapons become the primary weapons in combat. That would be the day that war simply becomes a game for the people behind the scenes. Right now people naturally try to avoid war because no one wants the bloodshed and human destruction associated with it. But if humans are removed from war, those sentiments will no longer exist.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles