Bangladeshi-American Plotted To Blow Up Pentagon

Country flag
Man accused of plotting drone attacks on Pentagon, Capitol – USATODAY.com

WASHINGTON – A 26-year-old Massachusetts man was arrested Wednesday and charged in a plot to fly explosive-packed, remote control aircraft into the Pentagon and U.S. Capitol.

Federal prosecutors allege in court documents that Rezwan Ferdaus outlined an elaborate plan to undercover FBI agents posing as al-Qaeda operatives that involved the use of three drone aircraft carrying deadly payloads to attack and destroy the iconic federal government landmarks.

Prosecutors allege that as recently as May, Ferdaus traveled to Washington to photograph his intended targets and "identified sites at the East Potomac Park from which to launch his airplanes filled with explosives."

Ferdaus, a U.S. citizen who holds a physics degree from Boston's Northeastern University, was arrested Wednesday after allegedly accepting delivery of materials, including three grenades, six Ak-47 assault rifles and a quantity of what he believed to be powerful C-4 explosives.

The suspect, according to court documents, had rented a storage unit in Framingham, Mass., where he allegedly intended to "build his attack planes and maintain all his equipment." The suspect already had obtained one of the drone planes, an F-86 Sabre replica, from a Florida distributor under a false name, investigators alleged.

U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz said all of the weaponry was in the control of undercover agents who were closely monitoring the plot's developments. She said the public was never in danger.

The suspect made his initial court appearance Wednesday afternoon in Worcester, Mass., where a federal judge scheduled a Monday detention hearing.

Attorney Catherine Byrne was appointed to represent Ferdaus. She did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Ferdaus is charged with providing material support to a terrorist organization, attempting to destroy national defense property and attempting to destroy federal buildings using explosives. The most serious charges, the counts involving destruction of federal property, carry maximum penalties of 20 years in prison.

According to court documents, Ferdaus allegedly began to commit jihad, or holy war, against the U.S. in early 2010 when he provided undercover FBI agents with mobile phones modified to serve as electrical switches for improvised explosive devices.

"Ferdaus believed that the devices would be used to kill American soldiers overseas,'' prosecutors alleged.

During a June meeting with undercover agents, Ferdaus "appeared gratified" when falsely told that his first phone device had killed three U.S. soldiers and wounded others in Iraq.

"That was exactly what I wanted," Ferdaus allegedly told the agents posing as terror operatives.

In recorded conversations, Ferdaus told agents in January about plans to attack the Pentagon using drone aircraft. He later "expanded'' the plot in April to include the U.S. Capitol. And in the following months, according to court documents, he provided agents with "detailed attack plans."

"During various recorded meetings, Ferdaus envisioned causing a large psychological impact by killing Americans, including women and children who he referred to as enemies of Allah," federal investigators alleged in the documents.

After returning from the May surveillance trip to Washington, Ferdaus allegedly told the undercover agents that the plan needed to be expanded even further, to include a "ground'' component. That plan, according to court documents, included six heavily armed gunmen, to be divided into two teams. According to the plan, they would be directed to create "chaos'" and "take out" everyone.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
This is alarming. Withdrawal from astan may bring more headache for homeland sec as they will be degraded with quality of intel coming in.

Country flag
This is alarming. Withdrawal from astan may bring more headache for homeland sec as they will be degraded with quality of intel coming in.
They are not revealing his origin but he was responding to US drone attacks in Pakistan. The origin is not being revealed because 1 billion in aid is earmarked for USA's ally.

mayfair

The reports do not say if he's of Paki origin. Though I would not be surprised if he turns out to be one. At the least the investigations will surely turn up some Paki connection- training etc.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
They are not revealing his origin but he was responding to US drone attacks in Pakistan. The origin is not being revealed because 1 billion in aid is earmarked for USA's best ally.
US will shoot down every penny they are paying. This year only 600million went to pak. Rest of the 1.5+ billion was held back. I am interested to see if US house will also give directions to seize all or any hardware supplied to pak.

@topic

Reason behind not revealing his origin can be associated with CIA/FBI's proxy terrorist outfit mandated to see contact with potential extremists. Some legal implications or uncomfortable answers which will be demanded from FBI/CIA can be holding them back to make everything public.

Rest assured. Guantanmo just got a occupant.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Prosecutors allege that as recently as May, Ferdaus traveled to Washington to photograph his intended targets and "identified sites at the East Potomac Park from which to launch his airplanes filled with explosives."
This is funny. You can't even fly a kite from East Potomac Park.

Country flag
The reports do not say if he's of Paki origin. Though I would not be surprised if he turns out to be one. At the least the investigations will surely turn up some Paki connection- training etc.
Some reports claim he was going for further training in Pakistan?? And wanted to give a reply to Drone attacks in Pakistan?? No mention of Palestine so far .

from Reuters:
In his defense, Ferdaus maintained that this was all a big misunderstanding, "No, I would never kill Americans. This is all a mistake. There wasn't really C-4 in the planes, it was just play-doh . . . I'm applying for a position as an unmanned aerial vehicle pilot in the USAF and so as part of my senior capstone project, I wanted to demonstrate that I could kill innocent civilians, like the Americans do all the time in Afghanistan and Pakistan. I thought if I could get a plane, albiet a model one, to hit the Pentagon, then I'd be a shoe-in for the job."

mayfair

Some reports claim he was going for further training in Pakistan?? And wanted to give a reply to Drone attacks in Pakistan?? No mention of Palestine so far .
This is a juice conspiracy. Zionists are out to defame and destroy Pakistan

Country flag
if anybody gets confirmation of his origin please post. I will change thread title if he is not Pakistani. Pakistan and terror has become too synonymous.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
LOL

This is the plane, he was going to use.

Its a remote controlled model of the U.S. Navy's 1950s Sabre jet fighter.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
That plan, according to court documents, included six heavily armed gunmen, to be divided into two teams. According to the plan, they would be directed to create "chaos'" and "take out" everyone.
Mumbai gave so much confident to these rats. Given the amount of firepower provided to them, such incident if takes place can make US go crazy.

Country flag
Mumbai gave so much confident to these rats. Given the amount of firepower provided to them, such incident if takes place can make US go crazy.
US citizens are better armed than him his head will be blown off before police even get there.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag

Last edited by a moderator:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Here is copy of affidavit from justice department.

He bought that model plane online for 200 bucks. His plan was to wrap C4 to it & attack pentagon with remote control of plane.

LOL no virgins for you man. They are mine. For you, just 15+ yrs in some dark prison.

Attachments

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles