Bangladesh : The Next South Asian Power?

agentperry

well bangladesh is reaping benefit of tax exemptions and all from usa and eu on many cottage and small industry items. that country is flooded every year and face several problems and despite that if that country is growing its only because of the favor other nations are doing on bd. they should focus on economy and all instead of playing at the hands of divorced pakistan and china. they belong to south asia and the problem between myanmar and bd and between india and bd should be solved within closed doors bilaterally.
that nation can grow magnificently but its required that they prioritize and act smart not like maldives

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
There is no problems with Bangladesh except the influx of illegal immigrants and the cattle rustlers at the border.

These cattle rustlers were shot at by the BSF, but it has been stopped.

But then, the Bangladeshis killed a BSF jawan recently!

Even if Bangladesh wants to invest in Myanmar, they will be very tardy since they have a huge problem with the Rohingyas, who they consider to be Bangladeshis and repeatedly push them into Bangladesh.

Last edited:

yasinbin

Honestly i am impressed that you all understand at least some of what i have been trying to say. If this level of understanding is carried out in all levels, we could develop more mature and better relationship with us in future.
Here's my opinion-
Tax exemption is part of trade deals and diplomacy. It is actually also reciprocated -part of our tradition, when they invest in our country , do business, they also get tax exemption and other benefits through FDI and other bi-lateral agreements. You think they are fools!!! lol. Anyways these exemptions comes with a expiry dates, now our stuffs are world class, trust me, we even get orders from China,we have skilled manpower, will, we just don't have the infrastructure to support it. If anybody wants to invest, this is a good time. Lots of Pakistan businessman is doing that now, a few Indian business man are also here as well.

Why should there be a closed door meeting to sort out every trouble, sometime it should be open for opinion, for sorting out problems between neighbors, it would create trust. Closed door means excuses- in case you want to bail out in future.

I would most certainly go against BSF now, so lets discuss it in another thread.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I congratulate India on it's foreign policy on being manly and showing that it indeed has balls and brains when it stood firm with Iran.
Guess more than the balls its about stomach .. we need Oil to feed our economy :) You see China is standing even more ferociously with Iran.
There's a saying in India - "Paet Par Laat koi nahi khaataa !!" ~ "You can tolerate non-sense everywhere else but not on your plate of meal."

Regards,
Virendra

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
regarding illegal immigrants there is a solution actually and our leaders are not united to take that step yet i assume. Look at the EU model, we have SAARC -founded my President Zia , if we do seriously go ahead with this,it will curb out many differences we have. Our history together is i guess better than europeans-no offense.
No offense , but why the hell is there a Nation called Bangladesh:rolleyes::rolleyes:... You broke away from us remember???? No offence but seriously????

P.S: But i am really happy to see people like you in your country who want much better co operation between our countries... So Cheers and welcome to India my friend.... And as far as i see, If you can stop your country from take over by Mullahs and terrorists, i think your Country has a much better future than Porkis...!!!! But thats just me!!!!:peace::peace:

Tronic

Bangladeshis have a SCHIZOPHRENIC personality

On some days they are in absolute thrall of the Bengali language , Tagore and Bengali culture

On other days the ISLAMIST Jamati mentality inside them comes to the fore and they begin DREAMING
of CONQUERING West Bengal and ASSAM

This SCHIZOPHRENIA will take them nowhere and is infact tearing apart their society
You ever think that a country can consist of various people with differing ideologies, genious?

KS

Bye bye DFI
Bangladesh has all the essential demographic qualities to be a sucessful nation state. Almost complete homogeneity in culture, language, religion which mostly characterize powerful nation states.

If they can somehow stop the creeping Jamati mentality, stop the population explosion and mend fences with India they can be one of the most sucessful nations

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Bangladesh has all the essential demographic qualities to be a sucessful nation state. Almost complete homogeneity in culture, language, religion which mostly characterize powerful nation states.

If they can somehow stop the creeping Jamati mentality, stop the population explosion and mend fences with India they can be one of the most sucessful nations
It is islam that is keeping them backward. Other wise BD has everything, huge huge hydroelectric potential etc., they can over take pakistan and put them to shame in less than a decade.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Most BD guys i meet in my College in Bangalore where nice guys, they did not have this vindictive mentality that you see with the Kashmire and paki kind. It is easier to mend fences with them.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Read the article and then the comment- and you will realize the diversity of opinion in Bangladesh and why it's not a hopeless case like Pakistan.There is still hope for South Asian cooperation.
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=223585#comments
No thanks...!!!! They wanted partition and we gave them.... Let them develop on their own..... No need for SAARC citizenship non sense.... If you want to give citizenship to someone, give it to people of Bhutan and Nepal.... if you want to include more, even bring Afghanistan, Maldives and Burma into this clout, but keep the Porkis out FOREVER... and frankly, Bangladesh has not earned our trust yet and we cant give it out to them just yet........

pmaitra

Read the article and then the comment- and you will realize the diversity of opinion in Bangladesh and why it's not a hopeless case like Pakistan.There is still hope for South Asian cooperation.
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=223585#comments
Thank you. I have reproduced two comments here:

No my friend that is wrong! Protectionism policies followed by India will not help us! Bangla has a very strong foundation! Banning Hindi is not the answer, clearly it shows that we are doing something wrong! Do you know why people watch Hindi? Because Bangla cinema is rubbish... it is unwatchable! I would do anything but watch Bangla cinema, maybe increasing the Bangla cinema standard may have a better effect rather than banning Hindi! You can respect all languages, that is what international mother language day is about! On that day of 1952 the sons not only fought for Bangla but also for other languages! Their legacy ought to live on and restricting Hindi would be a shame to them

: Syed
Urdu has been eliminated from Bangladesh after 1971. Again same language invaded in Bangladesh in the name of Hindi..but its script is different from Urdu.

: ZAFAR IQBAL
Apparently, for some Bangladeshis, there is no difference between Urdu and Hindi. They want neither. They just want Bengali.

yasinbin

The Daily Star is one of the most respectable newspaper in Dhaka, it gives you the view from all the people and to all the people, with rare political BS. Then it is for you to decide. This news paper is followed by a lot of people like our university professors, kept in our library, i found it also in Archer K Blood Library - of American Embassy, British Council,many corporate offices in Dhaka.

yasinbin

There is no problems with Bangladesh except the influx of illegal immigrants and the cattle rustlers at the border.

These cattle rustlers were shot at by the BSF, but it has been stopped.

But then, the Bangladeshis killed a BSF jawan recently!

Even if Bangladesh wants to invest in Myanmar, they will be very tardy since they have a huge problem with the Rohingyas, who they consider to be Bangladeshis and repeatedly push them into Bangladesh.
If you look at the history, you will see that when the British left, they drew the map clearly between Burma and Arakan State, whose people were called Rohingya's . The Burmese annexed it, called these people muslim and Bengali's and if you read some independent report like UN reports, you will get an idea what they have been doing ever since. These people are living as refugees in our country for decades now. And they are in millions now, and they don't use birth control stuff i guess. It's a huge drain in our economy. Of course we want to sort it out for once and all. Wouldn't you?

yasinbin

I am more comfortable with a powerful Burma or a Nepal than a future-BNP/Jamaati led government becoming south Asian power.
They are like back stabbing bastards, they take military hardwares gift from you guys, and they allow China to set up bases in their country so that they can spy on your country.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
They are like back stabbing bastards, they take military hardwares gift from you guys, and they allow China to set up bases in their country so that they can spy on your country.
:shocked: We don't give military hardware gifts to anyone. We may sell some stuff though.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
where do you get these info really?

Last time i checked, Nepal is an indian protectorate. And myanmar is abandoning china. Its your country which is currently providing lots of developmental works to the Chinese, despite taking 3.5bn$ of aid from us... Besides, myanmar send illegal immigrants into our country, but your country does

ejazr

Ambassador
Bangladesh: a role model in poverty battle : WTO chief

Bangladesh is a role model for the least developing countries (LDCs) in reducing poverty through increased global trade under the rules of the multilateral forum, World Trade Organisation, its Director General Pascal Lamy said yesterday.

He particularly mentioned the growth of Bangladesh's readymade garment, which created more than three million jobs, and enhanced growth of the pharmaceutical industry.

The future challenge, however, is extending the progress to other sectors so that economic shocks like the one the world has experienced do not negatively affect Bangladesh's trade and development outlook, he said.

Lamy was the convocation speaker of Dhaka University's 46th convocation ceremony held at the university's playground. The university conferred him honorary Doctor of Laws degree.

President Zillur Rahman, chancellor or the university, inaugurated the convocation. The university conferred graduation degrees to 16,800 students, MPhil degrees to 56 researchers and PhD degrees to 84 researchers.

Addressing the huge gathering, Lamy said the garment sector is a source of more than 75 percent exports and today accounts for roughly 10 percent of gross national product.

Phasing out of quota in world textile and clothing trade in 2005 created apprehension that the sector in Bangladesh would not survive. But the reality has been profoundly different, said Lamy, also political adviser and honorary president of Paris-based think tank -- Notre Europe.

The sector has not just survived but thrived, he said.

"Removing the quotas revealed Bangladesh's comparative advantage. Simplification of rules of origin governing the duty and quota-free market access to the EU has led to another surge in Bangladesh's garment export."

Bangladesh's pharmaceutical industry also saw its growth consolidated by the flexibilities of the two LDCs under WTO rules on intellectual property, he added.

"Here again Bangladesh is a model for other LDCs in using the flexibilities of the multilateral trading system to achieve concrete development outcomes," Lamy said.

Impacts of these developments have been evident, Lamy said, noting last year's household poverty survey that showed drop in 8.5 percent in absolute poverty.

"Few countries of the planet have recorded 8.5 percent drop in absolute poverty over a five-year period. Progressive trade opening has helped Bangladesh reduce poverty," he observed.

Lamy, a twice elected director general of the WTO, lauded Bangladesh's vision 2021, saying it provides a compelling image of how Bangladesh is going forward. "I believe the government is well on track to meet many of the time-bound targets including achieving the middle income status by 2021.

He also said, as a coordinator of the LDCs in 2003, 2007 and last year, Bangladesh has ably advanced the interest of the LDCs within the WTO.

The flexibilities under the WTO system are helping Bangladesh grow, he said. To best use those, Bangladesh needs to invest in services, infrastructure, trade facilitation programmes and help the businesses into integration of global economy.

"It is a transformation that will require a great deal of strategic planning. You will find the WTO as a willing and sympathetic partner," Lamy said, suggesting that Bangladesh's active civil society, vibrant private sector and profound social transformation will make it happen.

He said Bangladesh is a natural leader, but if Bangladesh is to continue its leadership, it needs leaders.

"This country needs an internet generation that will tweet, blog and network Bangladesh into the global economy."

He negated protectionism in trade, saying its very nature is a source of conflict and deprives others of the benefits of their talents and comparative advantage.

"And, in doing so it raises the cost of all -- producers and consumers alike, while creating economic inefficiency," he said, adding that nationalistic and protectionist policies earlier contributed to the national violent and aggression in the 1930s and 1940s.

President Zillur Rahman congratulated the graduates and suggested that they get engaged with the global advancements in terms of information technology and biotechnology. He called upon the students and teachers to conduct more and serious researches and utilise those for common people's wellbeing.

The president said students of Bangladesh have a glorious past of sacrifice and achievements, but that is not reflected today. Intra- and inter-party conflicts in the student bodies are not expected, he said, urging them to regain their past glory.

Dhaka University Vice Chancellor Prof AAMS Arefin Siddique called upon the graduates to establish their leadership in politics, economics and culture.

However, he reminded that there are various challenges including rising prices of essentials, climate change, unemployment, but more serious problem is the deterioration of values.

"One can compensate financial loss over time, but not value if it once gets damaged," Siddique said, urging the students to maintain self dignity, without which a nation cannot flourish.

The educationist asked the graduates to cherish the culture, values and philosophy of the land, observing that getting detached from the roots never leads to anything great.

Pro-Vice Chancellor Prof Dr Harun-or-Rashid, Treasurer Prof Dr Mijanur Rahman, Registrar Syed Rezaur Rahman and deans of all faculties were present at the stage.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
@ Mad Indian...I think you dont deal with many Nepalese. Isn't it?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles