Bangalore inches closer to Delhi in vehicle density

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
NEW DELHI: Creation of IT jobs in Bangalore and Hyderabad seems to have a direct impact on the growth of private vehicles in these two cities. Bangalore, in the past two years, has emerged as next only to Delhi in terms of annual vehicle registration while Hyderabad recorded a big increase in this category in the past two years.

Data accessed by TOI shows that while Delhi remains the city with maximum registration of vehicles both in 2011 and in this year till November, number of vehicles in Bangalore is fast increasing. In 2011, Delhi recorded 4.76 lakh vehicle registrations and till November this year, the national capital saw registration of 3.99 lakh vehicles. On the other hand, Bangalore witnessed a huge jump from 2.72 lakh vehicle registrations last year to 3.28 lakh in the past 11 months.

The trend is similar in Hyderabad. The city witnessed an increase of at least 14,000 from last year in registration of vehicles, taking its total to 46,163. "Young people with handsome earnings from the IT industry are shifting to these two cities, you will find most of them buying a vehicle within months after coming here. This trend will continue for the next couple of years. In Bangalore, you have long jams because of the high vehicular growth," said a senior road transport and highways ministry official.

On the other hand, vehicle growth (based on annual registration figure) in three other cities - Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata - has stabilized. For example, in Chennai this year, registration stood at 1.91 lakh in comparison to 2.26 lakh in 2011 and in Mumbai, so far 1.60 lakh vehicles have been registered this year against 2.27 lakh in 2010. "We have a huge problem in Chennai where we add 1,000 vehicles every day, but the only difference is 80% of these are two-wheelers," said a Chennai Metro rail official.

However, Delhi is clearly under heavy load of vehicles and there is a need to find some solution considering vehicular pollution adversely impacting ambient air quality. The data also shows that total vehicles registered in Delhi is equal to the total number registered in Chennai, Mumbai and Hyderabad. The trend was same in 2011.

Bangalore inches closer to Delhi in vehicle density - The Times of India on Mobile

Tolaha

Delhi has heavy density of 4 wheelers but it has better broader roads and Metro as well. Bangalore roads are narrow and Metro is coming up slooowly! Huge investment is needed in Bangalore but with 2 tier cities already being starved of infrastructure investment in Karnataka, things are only going to get worse. Atleast until Metro takes up a major portion of the traffic!

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
This is not good news at all. :(

If we are going to grow this way, we need to build massive infrastructure, and our BBMP is certainly not up to the task. :rage:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
This is not good news at all. :(

If we are going to grow this way, we need to build massive infrastructure, and our BBMP is certainly not up to the task. :rage:
Is there a BBMP? Last heard the last flyover project was laid a decade back, new roads not built, garbage not collected. Hell there is no plan what they are going to do in the next 5 years. There is ZERO town planning. Hell wonder I'd the idiotic corporators even know what town planning is. But yes they don't mind going on foreign tours to "learn". In years of this "learning" they have done nothing.

sob

Mod
Country flag
This is bad news for other cities, because Delhi has a high ratio of roads to the total area.

The total road length in Delhi is 29559 KM and for Bangalore the figure is a dismail 4000 KM ( as per Bangalore Traffic Police Bangalore City Traffic Police)

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
This is bad news for other cities, because Delhi has a high ratio of roads to the total area.

The total road length in Delhi is 29559 KM and for Bangalore the figure is a dismail 4000 KM ( as per Bangalore Traffic Police Bangalore City Traffic Police)
What did I tell about there being no civic body worth it's name in Bangalore. We are at the mercy of God but then even God helps those who help themselves. Bangalore is beyond repair at the moment. Huge investments and some clear thought process and planning is required. Metro will help but it's. It going to be good enough.

Every junction in Bangalore takes 5-10 mins to cross minimum. Almost all major roads are now one ways. No flyovers or underpasses coming up. We need 10s of them.

There is only one route that connects Bangalore south (the old residential area) with CBD and Bangalore north which is JC Road all the way from Jayanagar and JP Nagar. All along all junctions are clogged. Once you reach JC Road, you will crawl you way up to the jun took of Town Hall. Then towards Hudson Circle. A distance on 1 km can take half and hour and I am not joking.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
:tsk: I have experienced far worse stuff! A kilometer taking about 75 minutes to cross!
Saar i am not talking about one offs. I am talking about daily ordeals.

My new showroom is in Whitefield. Takes me an hour and a half every day to travel 15 kms. Old Madras road is a nightmare.

sob

Mod
Country flag
@Yususf, I have had horrible experiences in Bangalore till about 4 years back, and now I understand the situation has become even worse.

But with the total Road length just measly 4000 KM, Bangalore needs some out of the box solution. It desperately needs to build satellite cities like Gurgaon and Noida, otherwise people will start migrating way and so will companies.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
@Yususf, I have had horrible experiences in Bangalore till about 4 years back, and now I understand the situation has become even worse.

But with the total Road length just measly 4000 KM, Bangalore needs some out of the box solution. It desperately needs to build satellite cities like Gurgaon and Noida, otherwise people will start migrating way and so will companies.
No new projects have come to Bangslore in the last 4-5 years. Be it industrial or IT. Te last major major set up in Bangalore was Toyota motors. That was a long time back.

Bangalore surive today on construction boom but that again is on IT. Once IT companies start to leave and it has already begun as major IT companies chose other cities for their expansion plans.

Industries have stagnated. Many closed down in what once upon a time used to the largest Industrial Area in Asia, PEENYA.

Tolaha

Saar i am not talking about one offs. I am talking about daily ordeals.

My new showroom is in Whitefield. Takes me an hour and a half every day to travel 15 kms. Old Madras road is a nightmare.
15 kms in 1.5 hours sounds ok to me relatively, but yes, it is a real pain! You could cover the same distance in half the time by going in a bike. But not many Apple iPhone users I know use bikes extensively! :troll: :hehe:

Bangalore had its tryst with satellite towns long time back. With the pathetic roads connecting Bangalore with Kengeri (Mysore road), it is a failure. Another satellite town, Yelahanka, had a rejuvenation of sorts, thanks to the 8 lane road built across it when the International airport was constructed. Other than these, a number of satellite towns are planned in the proposed Peripheral Ring Road. But all grand plans need sufficient funds backing them up. As it is never the case, we have tough times ahead!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
15 kms in 1.5 hours sounds ok to me relatively, but yes, it is a real pain! You could cover the same distance in half the time by going in a bike. But not many Apple iPhone users I know use bikes extensively! :troll: :hehe:
I did bike riding on pot holed roads for 11 years. By back got finished. Moved to car since. Still short distance is by bike.

But yes I still suffer from chronic back problem.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
What did I tell about there being no civic body worth it's name in Bangalore. We are at the mercy of God but then even God helps those who help themselves. Bangalore is beyond repair at the moment. Huge investments and some clear thought process and planning is required. Metro will help but it's. It going to be good enough.

Every junction in Bangalore takes 5-10 mins to cross minimum. Almost all major roads are now one ways. No flyovers or underpasses coming up. We need 10s of them.

There is only one route that connects Bangalore south (the old residential area) with CBD and Bangalore north which is JC Road all the way from Jayanagar and JP Nagar. All along all junctions are clogged. Once you reach JC Road, you will crawl you way up to the jun took of Town Hall. Then towards Hudson Circle. A distance on 1 km can take half and hour and I am not joking.
From Jayanagar, you should try taking the road via Wilson garden and Lalbagh to go to Hosur road, go North from there, use old Airport road (instead of old Madras road), cross Marathahalli and go to Whitefield via the EPIP industrial area. I think you will be better off, even though the distance is more. :notsure:

Some critical projects that will help decongest Bangalore are - completely signal-free ORR (which they are working on, but slowly), completion of peripheral ring road, shifting truck movement to PRR from ORR during the daytime, revival and quick execution of the ICRR (Inner core ring road) plan, and of course, continuing work on Bangalore metro.

ICRR was a great plan, but they have put it on the backburner. :tsk: The issue with building flyovers is that you just shift the bottleneck from one junction to the next. Look at what has happened in Yeshwanthpur after building that massive flyover there - we just get stuck at the next signal. :rage: Inner Core Ring road (ICRR) was a plan that would build a massive number of flyovers (55+ I think) on several junctions, such that it would form a completely signal-free corridor within the heart of the city, in the form of a giant circle. That project will revolutionize road travel within the city, if only the buggers get down to implementing it.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Bangalore had its tryst with satellite towns long time back. With the pathetic roads connecting Bangalore with Kengeri (Mysore road), it is a failure. Another satellite town, Yelahanka, had a rejuvenation of sorts, thanks to the 8 lane road built across it when the International airport was constructed. Other than these, a number of satellite towns are planned in the proposed Peripheral Ring Road. But all grand plans need sufficient funds backing them up. As it is never the case, we have tough times ahead!
Also, let us remember that Electronics City and Whitefield, where all the massive IT campuses were built, were considered far-flung out-of-the-way areas, like satellite towns. But look at what has happened now - the city has expanded so damn rapidly, that these so-called "satellite towns" have been gobbled up by the city, and are now part of Bangalore!! :hehe:

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
From Jayanagar, you should try taking the road via Wilson garden and Lalbagh to go to Hosur road, go North from there, use old Airport road (instead of old Madras road), cross Marathahalli and go to Whitefield via the EPIP industrial area. I think you will be better off, even though the distance is more. :notsure:

Some critical projects that will help decongest Bangalore are - completely signal-free ORR (which they are working on, but slowly), completion of peripheral ring road, shifting truck movement to PRR from ORR during the daytime, revival and quick execution of the ICRR (Inner core ring road) plan, and of course, continuing work on Bangalore metro.

ICRR was a great plan, but they have put it on the backburner. :tsk: The issue with building flyovers is that you just shift the bottleneck from one junction to the next. Look at what has happened in Yeshwanthpur after building that massive flyover there - we just get stuck at the next signal. :rage: Inner Core Ring road (ICRR) was a plan that would build a massive number of flyovers (55+ I think) on several junctions, such that it would form a completely signal-free corridor within the heart of the city, in the form of a giant circle. That project will revolutionize road travel within the city, if only the buggers get down to implementing it.
Seen Mumbai's flyovers? Basically gives you signal free north south travel. Yes Bangalore needs something like that. We have a huge traffic problem and it can only be solved with massive infrastructure build up.

BTW the ring road projects have been shelved.

Tolaha

I did bike riding on pot holed roads for 11 years. By back got finished. Moved to car since. Still short distance is by bike.

But yes I still suffer from chronic back problem.
Same with my back as well! :killme:

Some critical projects that will help decongest Bangalore are - completely signal-free ORR (which they are working on, but slowly),
Almost completed.

completion of peripheral ring road, shifting truck movement to PRR from ORR during the daytime,
This probably would take ages. IIRC, the project is still not in execution phase! Many have already started buying properties checking out the probable route followed by the PRR.

revival and quick execution of the ICRR (Inner core ring road) plan, and of course, continuing work on Bangalore metro.

ICRR was a great plan, but they have put it on the backburner. :tsk:

The issue with building flyovers is that you just shift the bottleneck from one junction to the next. Look at what has happened in Yeshwanthpur after building that massive flyover there - we just get stuck at the next signal. :rage: Inner Core Ring road (ICRR) was a plan that would build a massive number of flyovers (55+ I think) on several junctions, such that it would form a completely signal-free corridor within the heart of the city, in the form of a giant circle. That project will revolutionize road travel within the city, if only the buggers get down to implementing it.
Aggrieved parties who would loose portions of their land filed a case against Inner Ring road. Some expert claimed that as per studies in Europe, widening of roads doesn't actually de-congest roads. A minister accepted it and was put on hold! :dafuq:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Seen Mumbai's flyovers? Basically gives you signal free north south travel. Yes Bangalore needs something like that. We have a huge traffic problem and it can only be solved with massive infrastructure build up.

BTW the ring road projects have been shelved.
Yeah, Mumbai is linear, so a N-S corridor works well there. Here, we need a circular corridor in Bangalore, and that is what the ICRR envisaged. The BBMP didn't have the guts to go ahead with it. And I agree that the BBMP just shouldn't go ahead with such plans by themselves - they can't build a simple underpass on time, and keep missing deadlines. The whole project should be given to someone like L&T. Unfortunately, it is not viable to charge toll on these inner roads, so the entire project will have to be financed by BBMP, and I don't think BBMP has funds for it. That is the reason it was shelved. We need a central government grant for this. A massive grant. This project will revolutionize Bangalore traffic.

While ICRR has been shelved, PRR is still on. Basically, one half of the PRR is already ready - NICE road. It needs to be extended from Tumkur road to Yelahanka, and Yelahanka to Whitefield, and whitefield to electronics city. That will be another massive project, once it is complete.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yeah, Mumbai is linear, so a N-S corridor works well there. Here, we need a circular corridor in Bangalore, and that is what the ICRR envisaged. The BBMP didn't have the guts to go ahead with it. And I agree that the BBMP just shouldn't go ahead with such plans by themselves - they can't build a simple underpass on time, and keep missing deadlines. The whole project should be given to someone like L&T. Unfortunately, it is not viable to charge toll on these inner roads, so the entire project will have to be financed by BBMP, and I don't think BBMP has funds for it. That is the reason it was shelved. We need a central government grant for this. A massive grant. This project will revolutionize Bangalore traffic.

While ICRR has been shelved, PRR is still on. Basically, one half of the PRR is already ready - NICE road. It needs to be extended from Tumkur road to Yelahanka, and Yelahanka to Whitefield, and whitefield to electronics city. That will be another massive project, once it is complete.
Ring Roads are not the only solution. Like i said we news a massive infrastructure build up. Probably require a few billion dollars for it.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles