Baichung Bhutia retires from international football

Sabir

DFI TEAM
India's former football captain Baichung Bhutia has announced his retirement from the international game.

The 34-year-old star striker has been struggling with injuries.

Bhutia was the first player from the sub-continent to sign a professional contract with a European football club when he signed for Bury in 1999.

He is also the only Indian footballer to play more than 100 matches for his country during his distinguished 16-year career.

"I had a fantastic 16 years of international football. I enjoyed every moment to have represented the country, to have contributed to the game," Bhutia told reporters on Wednesday.

"I wanted to continue playing but the last seven-eight months have been frustrating due to a lot of injuries. So I have decided to quit," he added.

The footballer said he would continue to play for his club, United Sikkim FC, which he founded.

"Lot of things in life do not happen the way we wish so I am quitting from international football but will continue playing for my club," he said.

Bhutia scored 43 goals in international football, the highest by an Indian footballer. He played for Bury FC in England for three years until 2002.

India won a premier South Asian championship three times under his captaincy.

Bhutia, a Buddhist, comes from the north-eastern Indian state of Sikkim.

India is ranked 158 among the 203 football playing countries, according to soccer's governing body, Fifa.

BBC News - India iconic footballer Baichung Bhutia retires

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The lone warrior of Indian football for quite some time. Thanks for your career mate. Wish you well.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Wish Baichung the best of luck for his future activities.

I just hope that he remains involved with Indian Football in an administrative role, as this is one area which needs to be cleaned up for Indian football to progress.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
The lone face of Indian football. He will be missed. I hope he takes pro-active role in nurturing young footballers for the Indian football team.

plugwater

Thank you for your service even though i never rated him.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
In my opinion Baichung was a better threat for defence in his teens and early twenties. But after coming back from Uk his style got changed. He was became powerful but lost his agility great extent. We have not seen his trade mark bicycle kick atleast for a decade.

pmaitra

^^

With age, everyone gains weight and loses their agility.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Congratulations on a distinguished career, Baichung.

He's looking to start a business*.

If he changes his mind, he could be something really big for the future of the sport in the country. Lots of foreign clubs looking to set up shop in the country. And he might be one guy, one face that could just coordinate a viable tourny.

*Correction, he has a 12-acre plot in Sikki, on which he plans to start a football academy over the next 3 years.

Last edited:

Sabir

DFI TEAM
@Rage Baichung is the promoter of United Sikkim FC which is participatting in I-league second division this year. It has already signed Renedy Singh, Manju etc. Players in Sikkim will now have a better opportunity to show their talent.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles