Aviation minister nudges AI to take a tough stand on strike

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Air India mulls walk-in interviews to replace pilots on strike

NEW DELHI: Air India's 400-odd striking pilots are fast running out of time.

In a first, the airline is planning to conduct walk-in interviews for hiring pilots and overcome the shortage created by the 53-day-old strike by the Indian Pilots' Guild (IPG). These walk-ins are being planned days after AI placed ads for hiring pilots in the international media.

"We are planning to hold walk-in interviews on a particular day every week. AI has given ads on our website and in Flight International but in those cases we have to wait till the last date of application before beginning the process of selecting people. In walk-ins, we can conduct simulator tests, interviews and hire those who clear them," said a senior official. The last date for the vacancies advertised on AI website is July 23.

"The wait for IPG to return can't be an endless one. Before the strike, 45 routes were operated on widebody aircraft, a figure that is now down to 38. We need to resume to pre-strike schedules. Two committees are assessing the number of pilots required," said sources.

Top officials involved in the exercise of evaluating AI's pilot requirement say the IPG must return to work at the earliest. "If the actual requirement is less than the number of people on strike, then we may not be able to take back all of them," said an official.

Apart from deciding to fill the gap caused by pilots' strike, the management is also trying to correct the huge mismatch in its staff positioning and flight operations. While 75% of its flights operate from the new hub in Delhi, 75% of the pilots are based in Mumbai.

"There is huge movement of pilots between the two metros for operating flights. The two-hour flying time between Mumbai and Delhi is also counted in duty time of pilots flying as passengers to operate flights from the capital and vice versa. Apart from reducing their actual flying time as per flight duty time limitation, they also need to be paid allowances for this. This needs to be corrected now," said an official.

Sources say, the aviation ministry is ready to take back 91 of the 101 sacked people back along with getting all others strikers back in cockpits.

Air India mulls walk-in interviews to replace pilots on strike - The Times of India
It means that for once these pilots are going to be told where to get off!

aeroblogger

The fact that the aviation minister is still being so inflexible is a real shame.

The pilots have given up pretty much all their demands - they are willing to return to work on 2 conditions - 1) sacked pilots are rehired, and 2) union is re-recognized (so they have representation during contract talks). All other grievances they are willing to take up after returning to work.

Quite honestly, it's a reasonable position. Their earlier positions weren't, but they've finally come back to reality. Now, if the airline doesn't think it's reasonable, then they should at least be willing to hold talks and come up with a compromise. Until talks happen, the airline is going to remain in crisis mode.

Instead, Ajit Singh continues to hold onto his very firm position, which quite honestly is irrational. Hiring new pilots is not like hiring new taxi drivers - airline spend millions of dollars training each pilot. The safety culture, the efficiency, the experience which AI pilots have is not something which you can get in a day from new hires - it'll take years for a new pilot force to reach the same maturity. And that's costing very real $$ the whole time.

Not to mention the attitude AI management is taking is full of schadenfreude. The pilots are on hunger strike right now, asking for discussion. AI's Exec. Director of Industrial Relations, Vinita Bhandari, has been making awful comments like "Let them die - terminated pilots can die for all I care!" As soon as the hunger strike started, Ajit Singh decided to take a vacation to London, so he doesn't have to deal with the fallout. I'm not impressed. No, that's an understatement - I'm disgusted.

Personally, I think the airline should have used this opportunity to lop off significant parts of the AI network. Around 10 routes are responsible for 75% of AI's losses, and all 10 routes are operated by these striking pilots. This is AI's golden opportunity to cancel those routes, and transform itself into something viable. Not to mention, these striking pilots wouldn't be necessary anymore.

However, I don't think AI management has enough spine to try something radical like that.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I think government is right in taking strong position against these pilots. These pilots have gone on strike despite high court declaring it as Illegal. Its time for Pilots to eat their own bitter medicine for causing loss to the airline and trouble to the passengers. I would be happy if these pilots are kicked out of AI for all I care.

With Kingfisher pretty much hanging up boots, AI has a pool of experienced KF pilots with whom they can make full flight schedule work out. This is the time for consolidation.

aeroblogger

These pilots have gone on strike despite high court declaring it as Illegal.
The court also ordered AI to enter talks with the pilots and "sort out their issues" before taking action against the pilots.

Both pilots and management ignored court orders.

Its time for Pilots to eat their own bitter medicine for causing loss to the airline and trouble to the passengers.
Trouble to passengers, yes, but not loss to the airline. As I mentioned earlier, about 10 routes which striking pilots operate are losing so much money that they don't even pay for fuel cost. These routes combine to make up ~70% of Air India's monthly losses.

Since those routes aren't being operated any more, this is going to be one of the best quarters since before Praful Patel became Minister of Civil Aviaiton.
I would be happy if these pilots are kicked out of AI for all I care.
Your opinion does not constitute a rational decision
With Kingfisher pretty much hanging up boots, AI has a pool of experienced KF pilots with whom they can make full flight schedule work out. This is the time for consolidation.
That's won't work. Kingfisher operated an Airbus fleet, which mostly consisted of narrowbodies. The striking pilots operate widebody Boeing aircraft.

The (upfront) conversion training cost by itself (not to mention other costs) will go over a crore for each pilot they hire, not to mention months before those pilots are ready and qualified. How can management justify spending 400 crores to train new pilots when 400 fully qualified pilots are begging to be let back in?

Last edited:

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
The court also ordered AI to enter talks with the pilots and "sort out their issues" before taking action against the pilots.

Both pilots and management ignored court orders.
Yes, but the condition of AI was that Pilots have to stop striking before coming to talks. You cannot strike illegally and ask for talks.

Trouble to passengers, yes, but not loss to the airline. As I mentioned earlier, about 10 routes which striking pilots operate are losing so much money that they don't even pay for fuel cost. These routes combine to make up ~70% of Air India's monthly losses.

Since those routes aren't being operated any more, this is going to be one of the best quarters since before Praful Patel became Minister of Civil Aviaiton.
Your opinion does not constitute a rational decision
Please post some details for me to comment on this.

That's won't work. Kingfisher operated an Airbus fleet, which mostly consisted of narrowbodies. The striking pilots operate widebody Boeing aircraft.

The (upfront) conversion training cost by itself (not to mention other costs) will go over a crore for each pilot they hire, not to mention months before those pilots are ready and qualified. How can management justify spending 400 crores to train new pilots when 400 fully qualified pilots are begging to be let back in?
There are always qualified Pilots in the market for the taking. It doesn't have to be all over again.

aeroblogger

Yes, but the condition of AI was that Pilots have to stop striking before coming to talks. You cannot strike illegally and ask for talks.
That was the condition of AI, not of the court. I don't see how it is possible to get out of this impasse without talks. Strike was illegal, sackings were illegal, I can't see why illegality should govern whether this spat continues or not.

Please post some details for me to comment on this.
Not sure what details you want? Routes like YYZ and ORD lose over $50 million every year. ICN, KIX, NRT, PVG routes all are losing over $35 million each year. If you add in a few other unprofitable ultralonghaul routes, you've arrived at almost 75% of AI's losses.

Since these routes aren't being operated, AI is saving lots of money. Not to mention that they don't hvae to pay salaries of 400 pilots either.

There are always qualified Pilots in the market for the taking. It doesn't have to be all over again.
That's the point - there is a severe 777 pilot shortage worldwide right now. There are lots of unemployed CPL/ATPL holders out there, but to train them on the 777 would take months of training and hundreds of thousands of dollars of investment. Emirates is facing such severe crewing issues on its 777s that they've actually been forced to drop utilization of the aircraft heavily while more pilots can be trained.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
That was the condition of AI, not of the court. I don't see how it is possible to get out of this impasse without talks. Strike was illegal, sackings were illegal, I can't see why illegality should govern whether this spat continues or not.
If the sackings were illegal then pilots would have gone to the court. But it seems, they haven't. I think the spat has been continuing for many years now sporadically causing losses to the airline and inconvenience to the airline. Its only because AI is a govt. organization that these pilots are going to such lengths. If it were in a private airline they would have been fired by now. Some time firm measures are required to make the employees fall in line. I think AI wants to send a message to Pilots and their unions that this cannot continue forever. In current conditions, Pilots are at the wrong end of losing jobs. They should realize this and join the duties and then talk.

Not sure what details you want? Routes like YYZ and ORD lose over $50 million every year. ICN, KIX, NRT, PVG routes all are losing over $35 million each year. If you add in a few other unprofitable ultralonghaul routes, you've arrived at almost 75% of AI's losses.

Since these routes aren't being operated, AI is saving lots of money. Not to mention that they don't hvae to pay salaries of 400 pilots either.
I have no idea what routes are loss making and which route's pilots are striking. I think this kind of information can come only from a insider or commentator of this field. I just wanted some news articles on these routes and pilots. If what you are saying is true, then AI should take this opportunity to streamline the routes and pilots.

That's the point - there is a severe 777 pilot shortage worldwide right now. There are lots of unemployed CPL/ATPL holders out there, but to train them on the 777 would take months of training and hundreds of thousands of dollars of investment. Emirates is facing such severe crewing issues on its 777s that they've actually been forced to drop utilization of the aircraft heavily while more pilots can be trained.
Not an industry insider so not aware of such nuances. Thanks for the info.

aeroblogger

If the sackings were illegal then pilots would have gone to the court. But it seems, they haven't.
Lawsuit pending. Knowing the pace of the Indian court system, it might be settled in a century or two.
I think the spat has been continuing for many years now sporadically causing losses to the airline and inconvenience to the airline.
There have been periodic labor spats over the years, but none has been like this one. As I said, it's actually causing less monetary losses to the airline, although the loss in customer confidence and stuff is very real. And passenger inconvenience is definitely there.

Its only because AI is a govt. organization that these pilots are going to such lengths. If it were in a private airline they would have been fired by now. Some time firm measures are required to make the employees fall in line. I think AI wants to send a message to Pilots and their unions that this cannot continue forever.
And they have succeeded in doing that. The pilots only want the sacked pilots to be rehired and their representation back, which is a far more reasonable stance than they originally had.

And at some point, the airline has to realize that these pilots are not only employees, they are also assets of the airline. I'm sure Emirates would love to grab these pilots, because they save the millions of dollars which AI has spent training them.

In current conditions, Pilots are at the wrong end of losing jobs. They should realize this and join the duties and then talk.
As I said, this is a symbiotic relationship. The pilots depend on the airline for the paycheck, but the airline also has sunk a very large investment into each pilot which needs to be recovered.
I have no idea what routes are loss making and which route's pilots are striking. I think this kind of information can come only from a insider or commentator of this field. I just wanted some news articles on these routes and pilots. If what you are saying is true, then AI should take this opportunity to streamline the routes and pilots.
If you want a news article, here is a link from the Trash of India:
Air India flights to US, Europe biggest losers - The Times of India
In standard ToI form, the article contains numerous glaring inaccuracies (hence the nickname). However, it should give a general idea of the situation.

aeroblogger

For those of you curious about how court proceedings are going:

Mumbai, Monday, July 02, 2012: The Honorable Justice Ms. Reva Khetrapal from the Delhi High Court expressed a desire for an immediate resolution to the current impasse between the Indian Pilots Guild and Air India management.

The following are the salient points of the observations made by the Hon'ble High Court;

• The masses of India trust their lives with the pilots of Air India, who work tirelessly and transport invaluable lives and equipment to all parts of the globe.
  • Air India must adopt a parental attitude and work towards humanely and logically addressing the issues of all the agitating pilots.
The High Court has also observed that all aspects of the crisis must be amicably. The Hon'ble Judge has also commented "I want to see Air India as the best airline in the world."

In response to the observations made by the Honorable Justice Ms. Reva Khetrapal; the advocate representing the Indian Pilots Guild submitted that 'Once all Pilots have been reinstated without any preconditions; the IPG will proactively host discussions with Air India Management and work towards reconciliation.'

Due to the prolonged nature of this agitation and the inability of the management to resolve the issue, The Hon'ble High Court noted the urgency of the matter, and instructed the lawyers of Air India and IPG to arrive at a mutually agreeable solution and report to the court on 03 July 2012.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles