3. Punjab, Rajasthan, Kerala (tie)

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
now average indian height 173cms for male
163/164(not sure) for female
Nope. 5'5" -5'6" is the average height for Indians overall. Which. Sans 165-168. This for makes. For females it's about 5'2".

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
This is :bs:
Kids these days are friggin Tall.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
^^Not necessarily. It is well-known that Mallus are Aryans who somehow got displaced in the southern tip of India.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
@LurkerBaba

1. McCarrison's experiments showed the superiority of the Sikh diet over other Indian diets (Wheat diet over Rice diet)

Within the same area of interest were the comparisons drawn by McCarrison between
the growth rates and vital statistics of rats fed on good diets and bad diets. One of the
good diets was the so-called Sikh diet, resembling that of the Hunzas whom he never
forgot; this diet, composed mainly of whole wheat, milk and vegetables, became the
stock diet of the thriving Coonoor rat colony. The poor diets, including one called
the 'poor Madrassi diet' or 'the poor rice-eater's diet' which was used in much
subsequent work, produced opposite effects : a high infant mortality, poor growth,
disease of various kinds and premature death
http://journals.cambridge.org/downl...cover=Y&code=b2a4b84bc4899883954f7b01a59f9543

I will try to reproduce some more of these findings.

One can deduce that wheat eaters are generally sturdier and healthier than rice eaters.

===

2. One research proves that eating excessive wheat fiber burns through bodies vitamin d reserves, which makes the skin appear lighter. And it is also known that paler skin generates more vitamin d.

Reduced plasma half-life of radio-labelled 25-hydr... [Br J Nutr. 1983] - PubMed - NCBI
White skin & wheat? | Gene Expression | Discover Magazine

====

The current increase in height, is imo due to 2 reasons
1. Excessive calories leading to maximal growth (this is not necessarily good for longevity)
2. Hormones in food

Last edited by a moderator:

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
I am > 6 feet tall and am lovin it :crusin:

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
@LurkerBaba

1. McCarrison's experiments showed the superiority of the Sikh diet over other Indian diets (Wheat diet over Rice diet)

Within the same area of interest were the comparisons drawn by McCarrison between
the growth rates and vital statistics of rats fed on good diets and bad diets. One of the
good diets was the so-called Sikh diet, resembling that of the Hunzas whom he never
forgot; this diet, composed mainly of whole wheat, milk and vegetables, became the
stock diet of the thriving Coonoor rat colony. The poor diets, including one called
the 'poor Madrassi diet' or 'the poor rice-eater's diet' which was used in much
subsequent work, produced opposite effects : a high infant mortality, poor growth,
disease of various kinds and premature death
http://journals.cambridge.org/downl...cover=Y&code=b2a4b84bc4899883954f7b01a59f9543

I will try to reproduce some more of these findings.

One can deduce that wheat eaters are generally sturdier and healthier than rice eaters.

===

2. One research proves that eating excessive wheat fiber burns through bodies vitamin d reserves, which makes the skin appear lighter. And it is also known that paler skin generates more vitamin d.

Reduced plasma half-life of radio-labelled 25-hydr... [Br J Nutr. 1983] - PubMed - NCBI
White skin & wheat? | Gene Expression | Discover Magazine

====

The current increase in height, is imo due to 2 reasons
1. Excessive calories leading to maximal growth (this is not necessarily good for longevity)
2. Hormones in food
I think rice is no good for growth. I personally eat rice only once or twice a month.
If I m not mistaken excessive calories (rice) gives you a tummy, but sufficient protein and nutrients (for maintaining proper level of growth hormone) is what leads to proper height. The reason old people in India are short is coz they ate too much rice.

Last edited by a moderator:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I think rice is no good for growth. I personally eat rice only once or twice a month.
If I m not mistaken excessive calories (rice) gives you a tummy, but sufficient protein and nutrients (for maintaining proper level of growth hormone) is what leads to proper height. The reason old people in India are short is coz they ate too much rice.
Wow, are you really a South Indian! :shocked:

But even I am cutting down on rice, and eating more whole wheat breads and noodles.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Back in the days in Kerala. They would only have rice without much sides. Like they would eat beef once a week. Now they have a proper diet, without just rice. Back then they barely had a complete diet.

People in Kerala also eat a lot of meat. Especially us Christians and Muslims.

Still, 5'6 is still short.

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Wow, are you really a South Indian! :shocked:

But even I am cutting down on rice, and eating more whole wheat breads and noodles.
Yup. The thing is me and my roomies buy a big pack of basmati rice, they eat rice everyday but we make biryani about once or twice a month. That's the only time I eat rice :)
Otherwise I buy chicken (cooked, just have to microwave), veggie blend from kroger (again, cooked eat directly), chapatis, paratas (both frozen), noodles, and of course milk :)yey:)

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Back in the days in Kerala. They would only have rice without much sides. Like they would eat beef once a week. Now they have a proper diet, without just rice. Back then they barely had a complete diet.

People in Kerala also eat a lot of meat. Especially us Christians and Muslims.

Still, 5'6 is still short.
That's probably the reason why Keralites are taller than the other S. Indians according to the study, all that protein has to do something.

Last edited:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Brown rice is good, not white rice. White rice has almost all its nutrients removed.

I think it also boils down to genetics. High-protein diets lead to maximal growth, and some South Indian or Bengali diets are likely higher in protein (higher fish intake) compared to North Indian ones. Wheat is a good source of protein as well, but not enriched wheat (maida). So I'm not sure if a wheat rich Punjabi diet would compensate for the lack of animal protein sources such as fish. Maybe the Aryan ancestry also has something to do with it.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Brown rice is good, not white rice. White rice has almost all its nutrients removed.

I think it also boils down to genetics. High-protein diets lead to maximal growth, and some South Indian or Bengali diets are likely higher in protein (higher fish intake) compared to North Indian ones. Wheat is a good source of protein as well, but not enriched wheat (maida). So I'm not sure if a wheat rich Punjabi diet would compensate for the lack of animal protein sources such as fish. Maybe the Aryan ancestry also has something to do with it.
Certainly genetics does play a part. I don't know about Punjabis, but I believe the rest of India is mixed, to an extent. So, the genes that play a part in inducing release of growth hormones may suddenly become active in a certain individual, which may lead to greater height provided the diet is rich and balanced.
And no offense to any one, just putting it out there. I have noticed that Rajasthanis are particularly short. I mean they re well built and all, but I haven't personally seen one Rajasthani who is taller than me (1.79m). I'm not sure how the ancestry and genetics part, I'm just ignorant about genetics.

Last edited:

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

Are you telling us the maximum growth for keralites is 5'6? And will stay that way, because of more consumption of meat?

You seriously don't think that average will go up to 5'9 as Kerala further develops?

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
The average height of a Japanese person like 80+ years ago was 5'3-4. Now it's 5'8-9.

North Korea and South Korea started at like 5'4. But S. Koreans are now averaging at 5'9. N. Koreans height stayed at 5'4 for obvious reasons.

pmaitra

Merely eating meat won't help. One needs calcium as well. Milk is a good source of calcium.

Rice is bad. Wheat is slightly better, but still bad. The best that I have personally tried so far is buck-wheat.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles