Australia to kick out Indian Nurses

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
In Australia, bad English spells trouble for Indian nurses
Published: Monday, Aug 9, 2010, 23:12 IST
Place: Melbourne | Agency: PTI

Hundreds of foreign student nurses, mostly from India, face deportation from Australia for lack of proficiency in English. Nursing students face the threat of being sent back home after completing their courses and having landed lucrative job offers.

The students, estimated to be 400 from India, China, Thailand and Philippines, are in this situation, as according to them the authorities have changed "goalposts" midway, by raising minimum English language standards.

The Nursing and Midwifery Board raised the international English language testing system minimum score from 6.5, which means a student has to be more proficient and a competent speaker, to an academic 7 levels.

The Australians are following the UK in applying strict standards in written and spoken knowledge in English as a must for allowing work permits and citizenship.

The troubled students have received backing from the Australian Nursing Federation (ANF), which has described the change in registration requirements as an "absolute bureaucratic debacle".

"The goalposts have been changed on these students," ANF Victorian branch secretary Lisa Fitzpatrick told The Australian.
Fitzpatrick said the students would struggle to pay back loans on nursing salaries in India, and many had sold their homes to finance coming to Australia.

An Indian nursing student, Prince Joseph, said he had completed an 18-month course from Ballarat University, but to meet Australian standards for a registered nurse he will have to qualify under the eligibility programme as a good speaker or else face deportation.

"I spent around $25,000 to be a registered nurse right now, but there is no registration and no job. It is clear discrimination," he said.

The tragedy struck students, who have just graduated mid-year or are about to graduate.

They said they received no notice of the change before it came into effect on July 1. Those whose visas are due to expire within weeks complain they don't have the time to take additional language studies or sit the tests before being made to return home.

They will then have to re-apply for migration, despite many having job offers from hospitals and aged care homes desperately trying to find new staff amid a national shortage of nurses.

http://www.dnaindia.com/world/repor...lish-spells-trouble-for-indian-nurses_1421124

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
sure sure and sure - just wait and see - a few years down the road ,perhaps a decade and they will overturn the decision to the other extreme - then they will invite tom dick and harry to be nurses

Oracle

Healthcare is a booming business in India. There are 1000s of jobs waiting to be pounced.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Well, the loss will be entirely theirs.

Indian nursing staff is known for their dedication to duty and their patience the world over.

Even the Vatican cannot do without Indian nuns who do the hard work to keep the Vatican going.

Of course, the Vatican puts it in a different way - the loss of spiritual path of the Keralite Catholics where less are coming forward to becoming nuns.

Indian Nuns a Problem Vatican Says

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I think at least for Indian and Filipinos the problem is not in lack of English proficiency, they're very proficient in their own versions of English (that's why the're the 2 biggest recipients of BPO boom), it is that their version of English is not that weird incoherent Australian English...

Last edited:

Oracle

their condition is worse than others.....
Qualified MBBS gets Rs 5000 to start with !!
Ah! You're talking about Govt jobs. I was talking about the private healthcare industry. And those nurses from Australia have a better chance to get selected to private hospitals, as they come with onsite experience armed with some of the best practices.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Well done. Australia took decision in her best interests. Why whine about it?.

They have their country to come back to. They can do just any other job and make do with their lives.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Ah I am not talking about the govt jobs where the pay in enormous..

I am talking about private health industry where they are not even ready to pay 5000 to an MBBS leave side a Nurse...

Oracle

Ah I am not talking about the govt jobs where the pay in enormous..

I am talking about private health industry where they are not even ready to pay 5000 to an MBBS leave side a Nurse...
Could you for God's sake be clear in your posts?

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Even Australians themselves can not score 7 in IELTS.

They are proficient in their annoying rude accent they think is the only thing accepted and required to survive along with them otherwise generally they are quite hollow when asked to comprehend readings or write any academic piece. This is from my personal experience, during our yearly accreditation assessments all the paper work, recording and compilation of scientific data, manual updating, inciting and finding academic references on reports of pathological finding suggested, were usually done by Indians or Asians in our hospitals. They were only good at doing physical services they love and get trained for or pretending native white face trophies who can easily get along with visiting white inspectors; going to decide their institution's accreditation.

Australia change its immigration policy every 3rd months. Those who think they be able to get Jobs and PR in Australia after finishing their studies are living in delusion and wasting of money and resources. Australians treat students from India as money cows. As they get stats from collages about how many of them have passed in one particular trade and how many of them have applied more in one particular category, they straight away change immigration rules to make their applications, even already submitted or in pipeline, null, void and in limbo forever. The application fee for any new visa application is highest in the world and its non refundable in any case.

Last edited:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Good. Please send them here, we need lots of professionals here, we have a shortage. The nurses that I have seen in Indian hospitals are very good at their job, but they hardly know English. We Indians don't have a problem with that. Send them all back I say, and let this phoren craze come down a bit.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Hundreds of foreign student nurses, mostly from India, face deportation from Australia for lack of proficiency in English. Nursing students face the threat of being sent back home after completing their courses and having landed lucrative job offers.

The students, estimated to be 400 from India, China, Thailand and Philippines, are in this situation, as according to them the authorities have changed "goalposts" midway, by raising minimum English language standards.
Please, its not Indian speak bad English

but Australians English is horrible and very difficult to understand..

:wat::hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackwater

Well i can i say if they kick out Indian nurses who will do the dirty job of cleaning potty??????

2ndly these indian nurses should learn english up to ausi level .while in rome do as roman do

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles