Australia a nation once "roamed by rascals and outlaws", claims China

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Australia is a nation once "roamed by rascals and outlaws", claims China

A Chinese tabloid hits back at Australia in diplomatic row over its pro-Japan stance

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott in Canberra

Australia, once "roamed by rascals and outlaws from Europe", is in no position to criticise China, a newspaper with close ties to the ruling Communist Party said after an Australian visit by Japan's prime minister.

The Global Times newspaper condemned Australia's Prime Minister Tony Abbott after he praised Japanese military personnel during World War II in an address to Australia's parliament welcoming Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

Recalling a submarine attack by Japanese forces on the city of Sydney, Abbott said: "We admired the skill and the sense of honour that they brought to their task although we disagreed with what they did," according to a transcript on his official homepage.
The Global Times dismissed the remarks as an "outrage".

Beijing is embroiled in a territorial dispute with Japan and Abe is a frequent target of Chinese state media criticism.

He became the first Japanese leader to address Australia's parliament and along with Abbott oversaw the clinching of major free trade and security deals, including the sharing of defence technology.

The Global Times stressed that even as Australia sends exports to China it is "one of the loudest voices" condemning Beijing over human rights issues despite the country's own faults.

"Australia's history is not short of records of human rights infringement on the Aboriginal population," said the English-language editorial at the weekend.

"The country used to be a place roamed by rascals and outlaws from Europe."

The Chinese-language version referred to Australia's "filthy record of violating the human rights of Aboriginals".

The tabloid followed up on Monday with an article penned by former Australian diplomat Gregory Clark criticising what he sees as Australia and Japan teaming up against China.

"Japan and Australia are the odd couple in Asia," Clark wrote. "Canberra uses its long-standing close alliance with the US to justify the anti-China aspects of its pro-US and pro-Japan policies."

The weekend editorial also took Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop to task for comments made last week and seen as provocative.
In an interview with Fairfax Media, Bishop said: "China doesn't respect weakness" and Australia must "hope for the best and manage for the worst" in its relations with China.

"Bishop's verbal provocation made her look more like one of the often pointless 'angry youths' found in the Chinese cyber sphere than a diplomat," the Global Times said.

The Chinese-language editorial was in places more strongly worded, referring to Bishop as an "idiot".

She was already on the receiving end of a tongue-lashing from Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi when she visited Beijing in December. He delivered a stern rebuke after Canberra criticised China's declaration of an air defence zone in the East China Sea.

Australia is a nation once "roamed by rascals and outlaws", claims China - Telegraph
China, realising that it can do damn all against Australia, is venting its frustration in the typical Chinese juvenile style - Australia, once "roamed by rascals and outlaws from Europe", is in no position to criticise China.

It maybe that Australia initially was flooded by social malcontent of England, but is it the case now? What is the relation of who were the immigrants to Australia criticising China today?

Totally idiotic, mindless and juvenile an argument to say the least!

The Chinese being brutal hegemonic lot cannot understand the higher esoteric issues such as appreciating valour, even of the enemy. India appreciates as I have repeatedly showed with links. What is wrong in this - "We admired the skill and the sense of honour that they brought to their task although we disagreed with what they did,"

China to its neighbours is a demonic and most disagreeable and even detested nation. But if one praises their progress, does it mean that is incorrect or an outrage?

It is most humorous and even ludicrous of the Chinese to state - The Chinese-language version referred to Australia's "filthy record of violating the human rights of Aboriginals". They are so arrogant that they fail to realise that their human rights record is the pits. Ask the Tibetans, the Uighurs, the Christians, the Mongols, the Muslims, or even the Han themselves. What the dickens are the Laogais all about - freedom and justice? What about the cultural Revolution massacres? What about the Tienanmen Square massacres?

The Chinese double talk and eyes closed blindness to their own faults stinks when they spew with pious platitudinous bilge.

What Bishop said: "China doesn't respect weakness" and Australia must "hope for the best and manage for the worst" in its relations with China is true. Get tough with them and then they lose their balance as this article indicates where they mindless, with childlike anger foam at the bit! Act tough with them and then whimper in impotent rage!

If as the Chinese claim that Bishop is an 'idiot', then the Chinese requires tons to brain to even reach the level of being termed as idiots. They are way below being labelled cretins, let alone being labelled idiots.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Re: Australia a nation once "roamed by rascals and outlaws", claims Ch

Chinese think their rise has no limits and they can do what ever they want in their vicinity.

China defied economic laws, Chinese miracle of the century , Chinese policies ....... enough of it.

Chinese are made rich to spend and fuel global growth and also keep the western hegemony in tact.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

I wonder what @apple has to say of this.

Last edited by a moderator:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag

Regarding the title, I was in a quandary about the inclusion of the word "once" ?

Nevertheless the Aussies do from time to time show some signs of acquiring (even) human intelligence
( i hope ), and inviting the Japanese to join forces, as they have now newly done,
is certainly a movement in the RIGHT direction .

Please keep improving, Australia !

Last edited:

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag

Regarding the title, I was in a quandary about the inclusion of the word "once" ?

Nevertheless the Aussies do from time to time show some signs of acquiring (even) human intelligence
( i hope ), and inviting the Japanese to join forces, as they have now newly done,
is certainly a movement in the RIGHT direction .

Please keep improving, Australia !
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ashutosh Lokhande

China a nation still roamed by slight eyed dog eaters :)

anupamsurey

Country flag

look who is talking, have chinese forgotten injustice to tibetian, what about tinamen, do muzzies, christians, buddhist live peacefully in china?

apple

I wonder what @apple has to say of this.
It reminds me of when the Indian cricket team try to sledge.

It's either massively over the top, typically involving large doses of racism i.e.
/ Harby calling Symonds a monkey, delivered with such aggressive, hate filled stupidity as to be totally inappropriate and easy to walk away from.

Or, it's not offensive at all i.e. when the Indian team kept calling the Australian team "convict descendants", which makes the vehemance of its delivery somewhat confusing and the whole situation is pretty amusing.

These comments are nothing compared to what appears in the Indian press. Malaysia and Indonesia come up with some good stories too.

What is wrong in this - "We admired the skill and the sense of honour that they brought to their task although we disagreed with what they did,"
I can see plenty wrong with that. Was, until he got to be Prime Minister, rather neutral about Abbott but he's really beginning to piss me off. I am not part of Abbott's "we", but as he used admire in the past tense, presume he's referring to the post WW2 generation. In which case he's being massively misleading i.e. his statement is a lie.

Diplomatically, I can't see how he thought it would be useful.

While no one took him seriously and everyone knew his own party was going to stab him in the back, sooner rather than later, ex PM Rudd was greatly respected for his knowledge of Asia, in particular China. Another controversial ex PM, Paul Keating, also deeply involved himself in Asia and suspect Abbott wants to follow in the legacy of these two. Unfortunately for Abbott, Rudd was a subject matter expert, while Keating was a hard bastard, and both of them could handle themselves in the world of international diplomacy while Abbott continues to prove himself an embarrassment. First a purely domestic embarrassment, he's now gone international.

Voldemort

Country flag

@apple Few years back, there were a large number of racist attacks on Indian students and cabbies. And Harbhajan Singh was cleared of any wrongdoing in the episode you speak of.

apple

@apple Few years back, there were a large number of racist attacks on Indian students and cabbies. And Harbhajan Singh was cleared of any wrongdoing in the episode you speak of.
Yeah, I know... while the "racist attacks" is a big subject, can certainly understand how that situation would generate bad press. And I think I might follow a strict policy of not mentioning Monkeygate anymore.

I wasn't trying to make throw any mud or make any judgements on anyone, or on their nation's press. Was just stating some (from my perspective) facts.

That Chinese newspaper's story is probably trying to be offensive but I don't find it that bad, just a bit weird... I wish I could be more of a rascal. While stories I've seen in other nations newspapers I have found immensively offensive.

p2prada

@apple

I don't follow cricket, but the Indian player did not call Symonds a monkey. "Maa ki" is a common Indian slur and we can understand why Symonds mistook it for monkey, and he obviously took it personally. As a matter of fact, I can't imagine any adult Indian using monkey as a slur in any situation. It simply does not fit. More so when we know Singh was from Punjab and most likely to use the slur Maa Ki rather than monkey.

Hell, you can ask the Pakistanis and even they will tell you the same.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag

great "opportunity " to link with reasonably developed Chin frends
( as there doesnt exist a word between friends and fiends )

and at the same time use SAMURAI (!) to control frends from the back ? :laugh:
:laugh:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

It reminds me of when the Indian cricket team try to sledge.

It's either massively over the top, typically involving large doses of racism i.e./ Harby calling Symonds a monkey, delivered with such aggressive, hate filled stupidity as to be totally inappropriate and easy to walk away from.

Or, it's not offensive at all i.e. when the Indian team kept calling the Australian team "convict descendants", which makes the vehemance of its delivery somewhat confusing and the whole situation is pretty amusing.

These comments are nothing compared to what appears in the Indian press. Malaysia and Indonesia come up with some good stories too.
Actually, Harbhajan did not call him 'monkey'.

He had said - "Teri Ma ki", which was incorrectly understood as 'monkey'.

Of course, the media does go berserk at times, but then Global Times, is a part of The Peoples' Daily and thus the media of the CCP and hence of the Chinese Govt. That is where the difference lies. Nothing in Global Times can be printed with the official go ahead.

I can see plenty wrong with that. Was, until he got to be Prime Minister, rather neutral about Abbott but he's really beginning to piss me off. I am not part of Abbott's "we", but as he used admire in the past tense, presume he's referring to the post WW2 generation. In which case he's being massively misleading i.e. his statement is a lie.

Diplomatically, I can't see how he thought it would be useful.
You PM is a liar?

I understand why the PM has pissed you off too!

I reckon the diplomatic spin off was possibly because Australia is finding the Chinese aggressive and unending encroachment to the South in the SCS a trifle alarming and so the Australian PM was merely shoring up the flanks and cautioning China thus far and no further.

While no one took him seriously and everyone knew his own party was going to stab him in the back, sooner rather than later, ex PM Rudd was greatly respected for his knowledge of Asia, in particular China. Another controversial ex PM, Paul Keating, also deeply involved himself in Asia and suspect Abbott wants to follow in the legacy of these two. Unfortunately for Abbott, Rudd was a subject matter expert, while Keating was a hard bastard, and both of them could handle themselves in the world of international diplomacy while Abbott continues to prove himself an embarrassment. First a purely domestic embarrassment, he's now gone international.
Rudd was an expert on Asia? Since when?

All he was an expert in is Manadrin (at least by Australian standards) and Mandarin is surely not Asia!

How is Abbot an embarrassment. He has done many good legislations from the Australian domestic standpoint such as repealing the Carbon Tax, commencing Operation Sovereign Borders, which received strong public support, the yeoman's service for the Aboriginal people and so on.

How's his statement on recognising valour an international embarrassment?

If it were so, then is it not also an embarrassment that the West recognised and lauds the military prowess of many German Generals, who masterminded tactics and plans that killed thousand of American, British, Australian, Indian troops in WWI & II?

Or the West's acknowledgement of Mao and Che as great exponent of Guerilla Warfare?

Blackwater

Australia a nation once "roamed by rascals and outlaws", claims China

In 2014 its pakistan:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

apple

Actually, Harbhajan did not call him 'monkey'.

He had said - "Teri Ma ki", which was incorrectly understood as 'monkey'.

I can actually refer to H. Singh again, with out describing Monkeygate. Harbhajan had admitted to using the term monkey well before Monkeygate. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, the first (and arguably only) time he used it he possibly didn't understand how objectionable a term it is in English.

Of course, the media does go berserk at times, but then Global Times, is a part of The Peoples' Daily and thus the media of the CCP and hence of the Chinese Govt. That is where the difference lies. Nothing in Global Times can be printed with the official go ahead. Have never really understood how the Chinese media works.

You PM is a liar?

I understand why the PM has pissed you off too!

I reckon the diplomatic spin off was possibly because Australia is finding the Chinese aggressive and unending encroachment to the South in the SCS a trifle alarming and so the Australian PM was merely shoring up the flanks and cautioning China thus far and no further.

I would consider Abbott's use of the word honour, in regards to the conduct of the Japanese armed forces in WW2, to be very objectionable. I'd like to think I' m pretty open-minded and I certainly know plenty of Australians who are far more nationalistic or xenophobic than myself. If I don't "admire the honour" of the Japanese during WW2, I really don't know who this "we" is that Abbott is talking about. Also, he was talking in the past tense i.e. he was referring to Australian's of past generations. Public opinion of Japanese post WW2 was, to put it mildly, not good.

I consider the accuracy of Abbott's remarks to cross over the border from dubious, into false. So yes, I consider that statement of his a lie.

Personally, I think Abbott's statement was purely intended for a Japanese audience and that he presumed it wouldn't be widely reported in Australia and he hadn't even considered the Chinese. But, I'm started to get pretty biased against Abbott and strongly suspect he's quite incompetent. So, I'm not the best judge.

Rudd was an expert on Asia? Since when?

All he was an expert in is Manadrin (at least by Australian standards) and Mandarin is surely not Asia!

While it doesn't conform with accepted use of the word, when Australians say Asia we mean S.E. Asia+ China and Japan. India, etc... is the Subcontinent. West of Pakistan is the Middle East and (sorry about this Kazahks, etc...)Central Asia doesn't exist. Will try to use a more international English in the future.

How is Abbot an embarrassment. He has done many good legislations from the Australian domestic standpoint such as repealing the Carbon Tax, commencing Operation Sovereign Borders, which received strong public support, the yeoman's service for the Aboriginal people and so on.

How's his statement on recognising valour an international embarrassment?

If it were so, then is it not also an embarrassment that the West recognised and lauds the military prowess of many German Generals, who masterminded tactics and plans that killed thousand of American, British, Australian, Indian troops in WWI & II?

Or the West's acknowledgement of Mao and Che as great exponent of Guerilla Warfare?
The repeal of the Carbon Tax and border control have received strong support from his voter base and strengthened his position with- in his own party. But they weren't universally appreciated and exist amongst a plethora of stupid plans, and statements, of his. Don't think he's won over many new supporters and his support within his own party is slipping.

Don't like using the term "The West", in general. Particularly on this forum.

For example, I "represent" the West. I consider Rommel an incompetent, unreformed Nazi, with the blood of millions of innocents on his hands and I sincerely hope that he's not enjoying burning in hell. The only thing great about Che was his beard, and Mao was a coward, who only came to power because Chinese society of the time was such a failure.

great "opportunity " to link with reasonably developed Chin frends
( as there doesnt exist a word between friends and fiends )

and at the same time use SAMURAI (!) to control frends from the back ? :laugh:
:laugh:
What??? There also doesn't "exist a word" between racist and troll.

In 2014 its pakistan:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
As with Roma's comment... What?

In 1479 its Tree green Derrida :laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

ladder

Country flag

The repeal of the Carbon Tax and border control have received strong support from his voter base and strengthened his position with- in his own party. But they weren't universally appreciated and exist amongst a plethora of stupid plans, and statements, of his. Don't think he's won over many new supporters and his support within his own party is slipping.

Don't like using the term "The West", in general. Particularly on this forum.

For example, I "represent" the West. I consider Rommel an incompetent, unreformed Nazi, with the blood of millions of innocents on his hands and I sincerely hope that he's not enjoying burning in hell. The only thing great about Che was his beard, and Mao was a coward, who only came to power because Chinese society of the time was such a failure.

What??? There also doesn't "exist a word" between racist and troll.
Can you possibly provide a link to when Harbajan Singh as admitted to the use of the word 'Monkey'?

thethinker

Country flag

Aussie cricket team has a history of sledging violent threats.How can such a team take offense to something they perceive as racial is confusing. When you threaten other players with serious bodily injuries, Harbhajan's maaki abuse seems pale.

Some notable sleges :

12th Man Sledge

Players involved: Ravi Shastri and Mike Whitney
Series: Second Test in Melbourne 1991/92 vs India
What happened: Not one known for his mental resoluteness, Ravi Shastri was batting when the 12th man for Australia Mike Whitney was called on as a substitute fielder. Shastri attempted to pinch a quick single to Whitney at mid-off who yelled out at the 80-Test veteran, "If you leave your crease I will break your f---ing head."

Without flinching, Shastri replied angrily, "Hey! If you could bat or bowl as well as you could talk, you wouldn't be f---ing twelfth man!"

Recent series :

Michael Clarke's verbal barrage at England's last man standing James Anderson has well and truly brought to life this summer's Ashes series, as both sides prepare to dish it out during the next four Tests.

Clarke was heard through the stump microphone on the field telling Anderson that he should "get ready for a broken f----ing arm."

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Can you possibly provide a link to when Harbajan Singh as admitted to the use of the word 'Monkey'?
I wonder how he could admit to something he never said and what he said was misinterpreted by a person, whose self guilt of looking like a monkey must have irked him.

apple

Thought he'd admitted it when the crowds in Wankhede, etc... started the monkey chants for Symonds in 2007. But, it would seem he never publically acknowledged he'd said that word. Sorry about that, although I'm even more sorry I mentioned his name in the first place and brought this subject up as it's not that relevant.

Aussie cricket team has a history of sledging violent threats.How can such a team take offense to something they perceive as racial is confusing. When you threaten other players with serious bodily injuries, Harbhajan's maaki abuse seems pale.
Cultural differences, which actually maybe has some relevance to this thread. Threatening someone with violence, while frowned on, wouldn't lead to any sanction in any western professional sport. Well, except maybe golf or billiards or something.

Likewise, I strongly suspect that Chinese article was attempting to be extremely offensive to Australia. But, I'm not sure whether the article can be judged on intent and I'm not really sure what the intent was...

Is an awkward situation, but I guess a common one in International Relations.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Peoples' Daily is the more restrained views of the Govt of China.

The Global Times is the unrestrained view of the Govt of China spouting on behalf of the Govt of China what they don';t want to say upfront.

The Global Times (simplified Chinese: 环球时报; traditional Chinese: 環球時報; pinyin: Huánqiú Shíbào) is a daily Chinese tabloid under the auspices of the People's Daily newspaper, focusing on international issues,

The Global Times differentiates itself from other Chinese newspapers in part through its more populist approach to journalism, coupled with a tendency to court controversy.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles