'U.S. wants to use India in missile shield against Russia, China'

Country flag
http://iafnews.nuvodev.com/posts/‘u-s-wants-to-use-india-in-missile-shield-against-russia-china’/

THE HINDU

The United States has been trying to rope in India for its plans to build a global missile defence system threatening Russia and China, the Komsomoloskaya Pravda, a popular Russian daily published from Moscow reported on Thursday.

In a story based on the WikiLeaks releases, the report said the U.S. has not only been planning to deploy a missile shield against Russia in Europe, but had also been negotiating with countries along Russia's borders, such as Japan and India, to jointly build missile defences that would also target Russia.

"The noose [around Russia] is tightening," the newspaper said. "Thanks to WikiLeaks, it has become known that Washington has been simultaneously conducting talks with countries in other parts of the world for building U.S. missile defences on their territories. Those are different countries, but they form a chain around Russia."

A 2007 confidential cable from the U.S. embassy in New Delhi carried by the daily refuted media reports that India had abruptly turned its back on a 2005 agreement with the U.S. to cooperate on missile defences. The cable said the Indian media had misinterpreted remarks by External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee after the Russia-India-China trilateral meeting in Harbin, China, on October 24, 2007. Mr. Mukherjee had dismissed as "groundless" the idea that India was going to join a U.S.-led missile defence system.

SHASH2K2

Its quite foolish of American strategists to target Russia at this point of time. Russian power is on decline and economy is not going to revive anytime soon. These actions of USA will push Russia towards China and if it happens it will be real headache for them. I am sure India will never be part of any plan against Russia but we need to balance our relationships else it may hurt our interests.

Neil

Country flag
Its quite foolish of American strategists to target Russia at this point of time. Russian power is on decline and economy is not going to revive anytime soon. These actions of USA will push Russia towards China and if it happens it will be real headache for them. I am sure India will never be part of any plan against Russia but we need to balance our relationships else it may hurt our interests.
they are targeting 3 countries at the same time....if you look at their strategies they established missile shields at places which are vulnerable to either Iran Russia or china....but yes it s pushing these countries to the edge.....especially russia-which has better ties with US or NATO than china or Iran....

India will not join US bandwagon but it could help us make are own missile shield and target china without using a single dollar...

Last edited:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
No fcuking way we're going to be a part of this. Let the Americans go and do it with Japan and others.

ganesh177

Country flag
If you can omit russia and only target china then its fine.

SHASH2K2

I think Russia will also join USA some day. There is already a discussion going on with NATO for missile defence cooperation . So very soon Russia will also be part of Global missile defence shield . That will be best time for us to Join Global missile defence shield against China and few rogue countries in Asia.

AOE

I'm not surprised why Russia is in the crosshairs in recent times, with behavior like selling long range missiles and weaponry to Iran, its imperialism towards Georgia, its aggressive economic behavior towards the EU and Eastern Europe in general, and it has become increasingly autocratic in the last 10 years under Putin. Its existence on the UN security council is useless as well, making a veto of everything related to western or US foreign policy initiatives (good or bad), and generally behaving as if the Cold War is still on.

None of this is the behavior of a country that wants to improve relations with the EU, NATO, or the US; or perhaps its sending mixed messages. I would hope all of this can change soon.

Param

I'm not surprised why Russia is in the crosshairs in recent times, with behavior like selling long range missiles and weaponry to Iran, its imperialism towards Georgia, its aggressive economic behavior towards the EU and Eastern Europe in general, and it has become increasingly autocratic in the last 10 years under Putin. Its existence on the UN security council is useless as well, making a veto of everything related to western or US foreign policy initiatives (good or bad), and generally behaving as if the Cold War is still on.

None of this is the behavior of a country that wants to improve relations with the EU, NATO, or the US; or perhaps its sending mixed messages. I would hope all of this can change soon.
The West would be happy with some one like Yeltsin who sells off Russia's assets at throw away prices. Or maybe some one like Gorbachev would be just fantastic.

Last edited:

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I don't know what made the Americans think that we'll play ball with them on this one, given our relations with Russia that have been more or less same since the independence.
It seems impossible in near future, at least for a decade or two. Then also, I couldn't think of what probable reason could India have to join this shield against Russia.

Regards,
Virendra

Neil

Country flag

cross chairs...??u mean concluding START agreement with the US or purchasing mistral class from france or getting invited to the NATO meeting for the 1st time in its history or backing the sanction imposed by US on iran and not selling them S-300 SAM....they are inclined towards west like never before....but yes there are some differences between them but not as strong as USSR did....

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I think its a great idea, with Russia turning into some sort of Tsar Putin Empire and their poor supply of weapons and cheating us on the Gorshkov deal etc., I think the time has come we moved away from an dead ally who no longer is an Ally by sprite but only because of monetary benefits. It would make good sense to keep China under the shield with their growing support to Pakistan.

Remember the USA did not play imperialistic games with us it was only Britian and so we should not punish the Americans for the ills of Britian. Not to mention China and Pakistan have invaded us.

sandeepdg

Its absolutely stupid to think India will join a missile shield against Russia. That's just not gonna happen. We have had a steady relationship with Russia for six decades and I see no change in that relationship because of certain recent issues at least for a considerable period of time. We rather need a defense shield against Pakistan and China.

AOE

cross chairs...??u mean concluding START agreement with the US or purchasing mistral class from france or getting invited to the NATO meeting for the 1st time in its history or backing the sanction imposed by US on iran and not selling them S-300 SAM....they are inclined towards west like never before....but yes there are some differences between them but not as strong as USSR did....
You'll have to forgive me as it's been a while since I have read up on the happenings with Russia in the last year. If that is all true then I'm very glad, and would also hope to see Russia become less autocratic in the process.

Neil

Country flag
You'll have to forgive me as it's been a while since I have read up on the happenings with Russia in the last year. If that is all true then I'm very glad, and would also hope to see Russia become less autocratic in the process.
hey bro....no problem...please no forgiveness and stuffs....we are here to exchange knowledge so....

but yeah there has been lot of change in russian behavior in last 2 decades from being anti-western to being pro-western

chex3009

Country flag
This is not at all in India's interest, afterall we need an ally which is not far away sitting somewhere else and sending some carriers when asked for help, nor do we require such kind of help from our allies, but India standing up against Russia is not happening.

Actually the US should be convinced about the missile shield requirements against the Chinese and the Pakistanis, thats where the real threat lies for India. The US' reaction would be worth watching then....

pmaitra

My vote:

Against PRC? Sure.
Against Russia? No.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
I think Russia will also join USA some day. There is already a discussion going on with NATO for missile defence cooperation . So very soon Russia will also be part of Global missile defence shield . That will be best time for us to Join Global missile defence shield against China and few rogue countries in Asia.
that has actuall been my thinking a loong way back ...since the 1960's in fact ..... the whole world will come against prc before too long ( yeah ...including russia as well ) ....it is gonnna be like the good ol days in teh 1915's when 8 euro countries decided tto take territory there ...even the germans tooo. ...and i think all these usa coalitions against saddam and all are a preparation for the real coalition against the dragon .

amoy

but yeah there has been lot of change in russian behavior in last 2 decades from being anti-western to being pro-western
Russia can't be closer to the west than Yeltsin's era LoL For a giant bear his interest lies not in getting boxed into an "alliance" but in leveraging......

Recommendation: "Three Kingdoms" one of most popular Chinese ancient novels

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Why should we listen to what a foreign country says on something as important as missile defence?

India is developing its own missile defence system and should use it as a safeguard against any possible attack, whether they come from the West or East.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I think its a great idea, with Russia turning into some sort of Tsar Putin Empire and their poor supply of weapons and cheating us on the Gorshkov deal etc., I think the time has come we moved away from an dead ally who no longer is an Ally by sprite but only because of monetary benefits. It would make good sense to keep China under the shield with their growing support to Pakistan.

Remember the USA did not play imperialistic games with us it was only Britian and so we should not punish the Americans for the ills of Britian. Not to mention China and Pakistan have invaded us.
What a ridiculous post.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles