Astrology Thread

Is astrology a science?

• Total voters

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Scientific investigation requires a hypothesis to be postulated and tested. Such does not seem to be the case with astrology.

( I have not seen published research testing homeopathic hypotheses, but rather much anecdotal evidence.)
Before the hypothesis would be preposition.

My preposion is that whenever there is an angular diplacement between the Sun and the moon less than 30 degree and more than 150 degree, it is a time of low tide and high tide.

prove that wrong. It is predictive part of astronomy that is called astrology. One is science the other is observation or empiricism of science but not as accurate as the former.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I am no student of astronomy nor i believe in it.

Predicting the future with the stars 1000+ years old positions is lame, that is all i meant.
But who does that? you mean to say entire astro physics and astronomy is foolish. They, as per you, are observing galaxies that occupied a particular position a thousand years ago.

Your basic premises of thousand years ago position is wrong.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
But who does that? you mean to say entire astro physics and astronomy is foolish. They, as per you, are observing galaxies that occupied a particular position a thousand years ago.

Your basic premises of thousand years ago position is wrong.
They are studying what happened to them, with observation, evidence, reasoning and logic but that is not the same with astrology. Dont equate two unrelated things:doh:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
@Bachchu Yadav

the photographs and material you exhibited in support of your arguments are media hoaxes like Datti Maharaj.

They are frauds and hoaxes created by media to run their shops. Astrology in India is studied deeply and as regular subject / occupation by many for thousands of years. Please see and observe Varanasi Sanskrit University astrology scholars who have devoted their lives to it not for glamour or cheating but for the love of the subject.

You may say any thing, but due to you presentation and exhibitions, I can say astrology for you are those media and roadside quakes. Also that there is no family tradition of use and abuse of such sciences, arts in your traditions, family, culture or upbringing. There is nothing wrong in it but there is nothing so right in it that you start attacking the subject vehemently.

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
They are studying what happened to them, with observation, evidence, reasoning and logic but that is not the same with astrology. Dont equate two unrelated things:doh:
Mad Indian,

What I observed in the yesterday night in the skies was the position of starts 1000 years ago is plain ignorance of the subject.

What nonsense. What I am looking a ploe star this night is not true position of pole star. Entire navigation and astrophysics of planet earth will go for typsy turvey> Plain Nonsense (but deeply partailly correct) but not relevant to the context !!

plugwater

Mad Indian,

What I observed in the yesterday night in the skies was the position of starts 1000 years ago is plain ignorance of the subject.

What nonsense. What I am looking a ploe star this night is not true position of pole star. Entire navigation and astrophysics of planet earth will go for typsy turvey> Plain Nonsense (but deeply partailly correct) but not relevant to the context !!
Yes, its the position of stars 1000+ years back!! Is that difficult to understand ?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
You know they are predicting future with the movements of stars which happened thousands of years ago!!

To be clear the stars we are seeing every night are not really there since the light emitted by them take thousands of years to reach us!!
You are right. If a star got destroyed we wouldn't see it for many centuries yet they will be making charts with the star intact. :pound:

Bachchu Yadav

Stars do not move , it is our earth that moves. You can not see a perceptible difference in actual location even in 100years . But these astrologers comes everyday with new fortune based on "movement" of stars.

pankaj nema

Country flag
People LOVE to criticise Astrology and prove that they are modern and educated
but Astrology is here to stay FOR ever

And more and more people believe in it Because it is simple Human Nature

The desire to know the future and fear of the unknown

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I did not find any mention of Astrology in my school, college or university curriculum.

Are there any Govt recognized courses which focus on Astrology ?

Bachchu Yadav

Who has created poll ! ... I really thanks him, because I want that same but couldn't edit my posts later.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
When will Astrology became a recognized science stream ? can any astrologer predict this ? :troll:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I have heard of people who can predict the past perfectly; infact I went to one I shat me pants, but they are not very good with the future.But I don't think they are astrologers.

Bachchu Yadav

People LOVE to criticise Astrology and prove that they are modern and educated
but Astrology is here to stay FOR ever

And more and more people believe in it Because it is simple Human Nature

The desire to know the future and fear of the unknown
But why in this pathetic society this human nature is so pronounced, why not in western world. Aren't they human ? Astrology becomes part of mainstream culture of our society .

Please Astronomy is different than astrology. Astronomy is a science dealing with exploration of space. Neil Armstrong was astronaut not astrologer.

Bachchu Yadav

I have heard of people who can predict the past perfectly; infact I went to one I shat me pants, but they are not very good with the future.But I don't think they are astrologers.
Why to predict a past. I can tell my past very clearly why I need astrologer for that . But yeah , I can not make future prediction neither a astrologer. What is the use of astrologer ? apart from collecting 'Chanda'!

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Movement of stars deciding your destiny ? Id call that hogwash!
Movement of Moon sure does cause changes in sea which directly affects peoples related to it. Call it hogwash?

You are right. If a star got destroyed we wouldn't see it for many centuries yet they will be making charts with the star intact. :pound:
Position of a star is directly proportional to energy emitted and felt. Correct me if i am wrong, its the energy emitted by a star is what matters in astrology. So what matters if star itself died centuries ago but its energy is still being felt in the form of light.

Last edited:

Bachchu Yadav

Movement of Moon sure does cause changes in sea which directly affects peoples related to it. Call it hogwash?

Position of a star is directly proportional to energy emitted and felt. Correct me if i am wrong, its the energy emitted by a star is what matters in astrology. So what matters if star itself died centuries ago but its energy is still being felt in the form of light.
Energy emitted by a distant star is not more than candle light. Why don't you count that too:pound: ! Rubbishness half cooked in science is what you are promoting.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles