Astrology Thread

Is astrology a science?

• Total voters

pmaitra

From what I can remember now, Wednesday is named after Woden and Thursday is named after The Mighty Thor and so on. So a possible answer to your question is that the days were named after native Gods and these Gods had planets and/or stars associated with them. So the trend of associating the days with planets &/or stars continued even after the Gods more or less faded away. This is what I am guessing, the real answer may be far from my guess.
You are very close to accurate. They have explained much of it in the link.

AFAIK, Astrology began in ancient Babylonia and spread to the Greeks and thence, to Europe and India. So there has been a lot of amalgamation of the primary concepts of astrology with the native religions or faiths of the places it spread to.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Years ago a Cajun woman did an astrological reading on me. As I remember, it was extensive and plausible in terms of character traits, but not stunningly specific. So I would not argue that astrology is useful in understanding ourselves or events in our lives.

pmaitra

^^

What is Cajun woman? The only Cajun I know of is a kind of seasoning for food.

Edit: More on 'Cajun woman' or 'Cajun' people in general:
Coonass, or Coon-ass, is used in reference to a person of Cajun ethnicity. Many consider it an insult but others consider it a compliment or badge of honor. Although many Cajuns use the word in regard to themselves, other Cajuns view the term as an ethnic slur against the Cajun people, especially when used by non-Cajuns. Socioeconomic factors appear to influence how Cajuns are likely to view the term: working-class Cajuns tend to regard the word "coonass" as a badge of ethnic pride, whereas middle- and upper-class Cajuns are more likely to regard the term as insulting or degrading, even when used by fellow Cajuns in reference to themselves.[1] (In Sociolinguistics, this type of behavior is termed covert prestige.) Despite an effort by Cajun activists to stamp out the term, it can be found on T-shirts, hats, and bumper stickers throughout Acadiana, the 22-parish Cajun homeland in south Louisiana.[1] The term is also used by some of Cajun descent in nearby East Texas.

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coonass

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Ok, If you can predict the next Stock that will go up in the stock market i will give you 10,000 per question, if you fail will you give me all your money?

If your right even 50% of the time you can earn million in the stock market the truth is you cant even predict when you will burp next, if you can do that i will give you 10,000Rs. lol.
In the North there a very famous saying "Is aqal ke kitane Bhai Ho tum?"

(How many kinsmen do you have who have similar thinking?)

further meaning that I shall deal with all having such nasty ideas / thinking.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
An astrologer told me that I'd be super rich after 32 years of age. Still waiting for his words to come true.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
An astrologer told me that I'd be super rich after 32 years of age. Still waiting for his words to come true.
muh dekhe thapar mara hai. :rofl: :troll:

PS: The slap was befitting the face.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
In the North there a very famous saying "Is aqal ke kitane Bhai Ho tum?"

(How many kinsmen do you have who have similar thinking?)

further meaning that I shall deal with all having such nasty ideas / thinking.

What was nasty in what i said? Can you point out?

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Astrology only says that you may do this, or you may get this and you may go to this place, you may come across something. 90% of what astrology says is correct, but the remaining 10% is in our hands. If an astrologer says that a person may get gold medal and stand first in the university exams, 90% of it is correct, it says that the person is capable of doing so. But for getting that or to achieve that the person must prepare for the exam and also he must attend the exam and write the answers. Just by simply sitting in the house and thinking that he may get the gold medal and going to the exam and writing a single answer will not make him to achieve the task. He may get through the exam. What I mean is that the 90% of luck if followed by 10% hard work will get the desired result, but with 90% of luck followed by 0% hard work will get you the benefit of getting out with a pass.........

ajay_ijn

Country flag
Astrology only says that you may do this, or you may get this and you may go to this place, you may come across something. 90% of what astrology says is correct, but the remaining 10% is in our hands. If an astrologer says that a person may get gold medal and stand first in the university exams, 90% of it is correct, it says that the person is capable of doing so. But for getting that or to achieve that the person must prepare for the exam and also he must attend the exam and write the answers. Just by simply sitting in the house and thinking that he may get the gold medal and going to the exam and writing a single answer will not make him to achieve the task. He may get through the exam. What I mean is that the 90% of luck if followed by 10% hard work will get the desired result, but with 90% of luck followed by 0% hard work will get you the benefit of getting out with a pass.........
if a person is capable of doing something, that still doesn't mean 90% of its correct or 90% chance that he will do it successfully.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Little OT!
10 years back we were searching a suitable boy for my sister, a Brahman school teacher who was my mom's friend (my mom was also a teacher), came to our home for tea ; palmistry was her hobby. She examined my sister's palm lines and jumped out of excitement, she asked for sweets and said that, "she is going to get a very good husband and her bridegroom would come to see her in a day or two" (she was really excited while telling this), till then we didn't have any info that my brother-in-law was coming to see her.About 3 pm that Brahman teacher left our house for her school with my mom. And the most amazing thing happened my brother-in-law arrived at 6 pm with his father from Gujrat, and my sister got engaged next day, married within a month. Unfortunately i was not in the home so i missed the chance to show my hands to her because that lady got transfered within a month. Now i can't say that it was a co-incident or ...

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
What is Cajun woman? The only Cajun I know of is a kind of seasoning for food.
Actually the woman was French-Canadian, so I may have erred in calling her Cajun. Cajuns more properly descendants of those French people (Acadians) who were deported from Canada to Louisiana by the British in the 18th century. (Read Longfellow's Evangeline, A Tale of Acadie.) To wander further off-topic, I learned while visiting Nova Scotia that many Cajuns returned to their homes years later.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Apparently :
1) next decade is trouble for entire world, lots of wars
2) China will break into 5 pieces
3) US will become like UK, after 2030.
4) Trump will not win and will get institutionalised.
5) India will not get involved in any global wars.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
There is nothing new in the thread but still the thread pops up...
Why ?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles