Astra BVRAAM

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
500 wouldn't be enough to equip all of those aircraft. When India ordered Mica for M2K it was 500. That order would be for Tejas.
Probably.
But there will be other orders, maybe in improved model, for other platforms.

Advaidhya Tiwari

From the same article.

According to Rafael, the I-Derby ER has a range of up to 54nm (100km), with the weapon also carrying a new radar seeker

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I-DERBY ER is not same as I-DERBY. I DERBY ER having 100km range is known but that doesn't mean it is tested. I-DERBY has been tested and I-DERBY ER is yet to be tested

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Agree on Micas. But according to Shiv, Pythons may still be ordered for Tejas. Personally, I don't see much sense in that as Asraams have already been chosen for Tejas and will probably equip Sukhois as well.
According to the ADA report the Python 5 failed its trials as it suffered excessive vibrations at Mach 0.9 and had to be aborted. There was no attempt after that to get a successful test.

An MBDA official commenting on the matter shed some light on the problems...“The Python-5 has many more control surfaces than the ASRAAM. That’s a problem. It’s also 15-20 kg heavier than the ASRAAM, which is a problem for a platform where weight is an issue directly under address.”

I don't see Python 5 coming back to the IAF.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I Derby was integrated and fired from the Tejas.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/a...issile-test-after-i-derby-integration-439175/

The Meteor cannot be used on the Tejas or any other aircraft of the IAF except mirage and Rafale. So its use is limited.

The Russian BVRs and Astra dont have the required range to take on 120Cs. So for most of the IAF fleet, I derby is the best option.
Derby was successfully tested, Derby ER has not. Why even waste time talking about it when you make Astra? That is the BVRAAM going on Tejas, not Derby.

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
Tejas will have ASRAAM as wvr with astra and derby ER as bvr.

Rafale and mirages will have mica(both variants) and meteor.

Mig29 upg and Su 30 mki will have r73 and asraam as wvr and astra,r77 as bvr ( a new russian bvr to be added with super 30 upgrade..maybe k77m to replace r77)

Long term sfdr and astra mk 2 will be desi indigenous options.

AmoghaVarsha

Country flag
Can ASRAAM be integrsted on Russian and Israeli platforms?

Also which BVR is used by the Russian AF?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
How do you know that actual testing didnot happen?

Why will they integrate it if not to test?

It is no secret, if it happens it is published in the annual ADA report much less open media.

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
Can ASRAAM be integrsted on Russian and Israeli platforms?

Also which BVR is used by the Russian AF?

Yes because its an IR missile it is easy to integrate..but active radar guided missiles like meteor cant be integrated as they need codes to integrate with radar.And russian will not share info with israelis and vice versa due to politics.
Its only possible if radar is indian (pay for privilage)or european..only then can you integrate a european radar guided missile like meteor.

Absolut_Vodka

Quarantined Abdul
Banned
Country flag
Pakis are getting new AWACS ( only frames or with radar not confirmed)

We should had a Su 30 MKI armed with AWACS killer missile on 27 Feb. Infact this is right punishment to misadventure of Pakis.

Pakis should not fly AWACS to look into our territory and give real time battlefield advantage to F sola and Bandar. I wonder why we never fired at their AWACS after Abhi release.

Advaidhya Tiwari

We should had a Su 30 MKI armed with AWACS killer missile on 27 Feb. Infact this is right punishment to misadventure of Pakis.

Pakis should not fly AWACS to look into our territory and give real time battlefield advantage to F sola and Bandar. I wonder why we never fired at their AWACS after Abhi release.
We never fired because we did not want to escalate. Moreover, it was not predecided that Abhinandan will b captured. Once captured India issued threats and Pakistan followed up with releasing him

abingdonboy

Country flag
Derby was successfully tested, Derby ER has not. Why even waste time talking about it when you make Astra? That is the BVRAAM going on Tejas, not Derby.
IAI have already said they’ve conducted work to integrate Derby ER on LCA.

Astra will come on LCA I’m sure but currently it’s range is no match for the ER (>100km), this is the kind of capability that will change the entire paradigm of air warfare in S.Asia.

no smoking

Country flag

Because no one will allow the enemy's fighter to fly close enough to hit their AWACS.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Because no one will allow the enemy's fighter to fly close enough to hit their AWACS.
Maybe that's where that A-2-A Brahmos NG that they're talking about comes in.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

Astra will come on LCA I’m sure but currently it’s range is no match for the ER (>100km), this is the kind of capability that will change the entire paradigm of air warfare in S.Asia.
That is the same work that went into testing the Derby as the integration of both are the same. They did not test fire the ER or even run captive trials. There has never been a test firing of the ER anywhere, much less on the LCA.

Astra is the indigenous option with sufficient range, it is the only choice for India's indigenous fighter.

Advaidhya Tiwari

The code for integrating derby is same as derby er. But the question is whether that wing end pulling can carry it due to increased weight. Also the astra has very similar range as derby er

Absolut_Vodka

Quarantined Abdul
Banned
Country flag
AWACS kill missiles are usually in range of 300 - 400 km. It's more than enough to kill paki AWACS from within Indian territory. AWACS is slow moving target and it cannot maneuver like fighter jet to escape.

Even if pakis land their plane after seeing missile homing towards it still it will be another physiological factor next time AWACS flies.

It will be rerun of atlantique episode. Just deny them privilege of flying AWACS without risks.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles