Astra BVRAAM

AmoghaVarsha

Country flag
IAF has wanted to get rid of the unreliable R-77 for a long time. Astra is the natural candidate to replace that. There is little reason to have the inferior Derby either. There is no replacement for MICA IR as that is the only way to counter stealth aircraft at BVR. Meteor will never fly on a Russian aircraft so you can forget about that.
I Derby is not inferior to any of the missiles you mentioned except Meteor.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Advaidhya Tiwari

I Derby is not inferior to any of the missiles you mentioned except Meteor.

Are you sure that we are using er version in tejas? If it is normal derby, it is inferior to all missile available with India. Derby er has much higher weight & is unlikely to fit on Tejas wing tip

Kay

Country flag
MBDA wont accept meteor on sukhoi.Not on any russian and israeli radar.Only tejas if it has indian AESA.And mirage 2000.
IAF has wanted to get rid of the unreliable R-77 for a long time. Astra is the natural candidate to replace that. There is little reason to have the inferior Derby either. There is no replacement for MICA IR as that is the only way to counter stealth aircraft at BVR. Meteor will never fly on a Russian aircraft so you can forget about that.
https://www.livefistdefence.com/201...in-the-indian-air-forces-missile-arsenal.html

Both versions of MICA will continue to be operated for Miragee as well as Python.
Python can be later replaced by ASRAAM and Derby by Astra.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
https://www.livefistdefence.com/201...in-the-indian-air-forces-missile-arsenal.html

Both versions of MICA will continue to be operated for Miragee as well as Python.
Python can be later replaced by ASRAAM and Derby by Astra.
Python does not operate on Mirage. The upgrade from Magic II and Super 530D is MICA IR and MICA RF respectively. The purchase has already been made.

Python will not be ordered as the captive trials aboard LCA caused excessive vibrations. ASRAAM has been selected for Jaguar and Tejas.

https://theprint.in/defence/hal-set...-to-arm-tejas-with-air-to-air-missile/188015/

Kay

Country flag
Python does not operate on Mirage. The upgrade from Magic II and Super 530D is MICA IR and MICA RF respectively. The purchase has already been made.

Python will not be ordered as the captive trials aboard LCA caused excessive vibrations. ASRAAM has been selected for Jaguar and Tejas.

https://theprint.in/defence/hal-set...-to-arm-tejas-with-air-to-air-missile/188015/
Agree on Micas. But according to Shiv, Pythons may still be ordered for Tejas. Personally, I don't see much sense in that as Asraams have already been chosen for Tejas and will probably equip Sukhois as well.

AmoghaVarsha

Country flag
IAF doesn't operate Derby ER. The goal is to reduce missile types by having an indigenous missile, not operating all BVRAAMs ever made.
I Derby was integrated and fired from the Tejas.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/a...issile-test-after-i-derby-integration-439175/

The Meteor cannot be used on the Tejas or any other aircraft of the IAF except mirage and Rafale. So its use is limited.

The Russian BVRs and Astra dont have the required range to take on 120Cs. So for most of the IAF fleet, I derby is the best option.

Reactions: Kay

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Tejas is using deby....
But derby er is not tested yetm....

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Any idea on total no of Astra we may have in next 5 years?
First 50 Astra Mk-1 to be delivered by year end. IAF to place order of more than 500 Astra for Tejas, Su-30MKI, Mirage-2000-5 Mk-2, Rafale, Mig-29K/UPG

.....bdw astra is only tested with sukhoi...for now

mystic avatar

First 50 Astra Mk-1 to be delivered by year end. IAF to place order of more than 500 Astra for Tejas, Su-30MKI, Mirage-2000-5 Mk-2, Rafale, Mig-29K/UPG

.....bdw astra is only tested with sukhoi...for now
Astra's integration with tejas should be completed with great speed.

Advaidhya Tiwari

AmoghaVarsha

Country flag
This is a quote from the article you gave -

This says that ER version is not yet tested
From the same article.

According to Rafael, the I-Derby ER has a range of up to 54nm (100km), with the weapon also carrying a new radar seeker

AmoghaVarsha

Country flag
I derby.....tested....

Not derby er....
Read that report
Read the report sir.

According to Rafael, the I-Derby ER has a range of up to 54nm (100km), with the weapon also carrying a new radar seeker

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles