Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

p2prada

Dyamn. I gotta get me one of these.

I can shoot up the neighbourhood and be a real gangsta.

Warning: Kids, don't try that at home else a man with a smiley face will give you a good spanking. :D

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Gujarat police to procure 4000 INSAS rifles

Gandhinagar, Apr 13 (PTI)

In a bid to equip its police force with modern weapons, Gujarat police would be acquiring 4000 Indian Small Arms System (INSAS)rifles in October this year.

"We procured 2,000 INSAS rifles in 2008-09 and will be getting 4,000 more in coming October. INSAS rifles are mostly used by BSF, CRPF and para military forces," a state home department official said.

He also said that the state's pending demand for 12 more marine police stations is likely to be approved by the Union Ministry of Home Affairs.

Currently, there are 10 marine police stations in the state, along the 1600-km-long coast line.

On various plans to strengthen the state's security apparatus, the official said that in last two years, around 5,000 posts in the police force have been created with the addition of State Reserved Police (SRP) battalions.

"We created around 5,000 new posts in the force. Moreover, we will add four more chetak commando units next year," he said.

"Currently, we have two Chetak commando units, which is based on NSG model and two more will be added this year while we plan to double it by next year, and then the commando units will be spread across the state and stationed in Saurashtra, Kutch and South Gujarat," he said.

Each chetak commando unit has 120 commandos which are trained extensively."One commando unit is under training at Jodhpur and subsequently, that unit will be sent for advanced training in jungle warfare," the official said, adding "we strictly follow the age and physical fitness standards in the commando units."

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
Kalantak is very old news, more like short barrel INSAS rifle, or a off shoot of failed INSAS carbine. No indication that it has been or will be adopted

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Kalantak is very old news, more like short barrel INSAS rifle, or a off shoot of failed INSAS carbine. No indication that it has been or will be adopted
Kalantak was a good rifle but suffer with overheating and inaccurate fire, if it was chambered for 5.56x30mm it may showed some +points..

thanks for pic, can you provide more info on the rifle scope........
ELCAN C79 Optical gunsight with 3.4x magnification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C79A2

Last edited:

AJSINGH

i dont get it , if INSAS can be improved by DRDO itself ,as we have seen picture of the rifle , then why isnt IA buying these improved rifles ?

Logan

Country flag
i dont get it , if INSAS can be improved by DRDO itself ,as we have seen picture of the rifle , then why isnt IA buying these improved rifles ?
Because they are improved but might still suffer from some problems as my frnd Kunal has pointed out.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag

can anyone name this rifle. actually i am also confused whether it is FN FAL or any varient of INSAS.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
So plz tell me whether it is related Indian army or not. I mean whether IA uses it or not . Or is IA planning to acquire it in future?
No it has no relation with Indian Army, Insas 5.56mm is Indian army regular assault rifle, Insas replacement can only be Insas, and its possiable a bullpup varient..

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
paramvir

These guys dont look like Indian army personnel.
paramvir have you seen the Ghurkas and North east Indians? Thats really ignorant and insulting for you to say that. Because a lot of them give up their lives for India.:13:

Param

paramvir

paramvir have you seen the Ghurkas and North east Indians? Thats really ignorant and insulting for you to say that. Because a lot of them give up their lives for India.:13:
I said that beacuse they were not in uniform and there are a number of insurgent groups in the NE that have weapons looted from our security forces.
How could I distinguish them if they were wearing casuals ?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles