Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Instead of elongated cartridge, powerful propellant are being used, Example can be 5.56x30mm of INSAS amogh carbine ..

2900fps is more than enough, what scientist did is to make it smokeless, New generation OFB 5.56 x 45mm hardly make smoke when fired ..

I dont mean totally new round, just the case will be longer to have more propellant charge while keeping 5.56x45mm diameter projectile.

India22

Ok, but the about 4.16 gram projectile is still weak I think to penetrate Level 4 Vest. That's why I was saying if the over round was lengthened the projectile too would be by at least 2 gram and allow more propellant charge to be used.

Wait we can use Tungsten and steel alloy instead, it would increase the weight without increasing length of projectile.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Their is a new 5.56mm went into trail which is heavier than present 4.16gram bullet, But Army intend to stick with present 5.56mm round as it deemed sufficient for Assault rifle use ..

Level IV body armor uses ceramic materials. Such materials are brittle in nature and may provide only single-shot protection. This armor protects against sniper caliber armor-piercing bullets with nominal masses of 10.8 g (166 gr.) impacting at a velocity of 868 m/s (2,850 ft/s) or less.

Ok, but the about 4.16 gram projectile is still weak I think to penetrate Level 4 Vest. That's why I was saying if the over round was lengthened the projectile too would be by at least 2 gram and allow more propellant charge to be used.

Wait we can use Tungsten and steel alloy instead, it would increase the weight without increasing length of projectile.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Instead of elongated cartridge, powerful propellant are being used, Example can be 5.56x30mm of INSAS amogh carbine ..

2900fps is more than enough, what scientist did is to make it smokeless, New generation OFB 5.56 x 45mm hardly make smoke when fired ..
Now @Kunal Biswas since you talked about MINSAS, doesn't MSMC too is making use of the same round?

Chinmoy

Country flag
Yes, 5.56 x 30mm is used by MSMC also ..
So any update on induction of Amogh or MSMC? I think Amogh is used in limited number by Navy and some state police, but never seen one other then OFB archive. Got any info of it?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Amogh is used by coast guard`s STF, It replaced old age 9mm carbine..

MSMC cleared all its trails including user during last year December, Army has not done anything afterwards.

So any update on induction of Amogh or MSMC? I think Amogh is used in limited number by Navy and some state police, but never seen one other then OFB archive. Got any info of it?

uoftotaku

Country flag

MSMC cleared all its trails including user during last year December, Army has not done anything afterwards.
They must be surprised that it cleared trials. Now waiting to create some excuses out of their imagination to reject and Import some new maal

singh100ful

Country flag

Is it true that some countries were interested in MSMC while it was in development

ghost

I was already aware of the difference between M4 and Insas rifle, but today while watching tactical maneuver of Indian soldiers with Insas rifle followed by watching ISIS members maneuver with m4 the difference was glaring. Insas rifle looked long,fat and cumbersome with poor maneuverability in comparison to the m4.

Apart from good ergonomics m4 has the advantage over Insas rifle in the following:

1 Weight :
Insas rifle - 4.15 kg
M4 - 2.77 kg

M4 advantage: Lighter by 1.38 kg

2 Length :

Insas rifle - 960mm
M4 - 756.9mm (round off 757mm)

M4 advantage : shorter by 203mm

3 Effective range :

Insas rifle - 400m
M4 - 600m

M4 advantage : Longer range by 200m

4 Rate of fire (round/min) :

Insas rifle - 600 to 650
M4 - 700 to 950

M4 advantage 100 to 300 round/minute

5 Stock :
Insas rilfe - fixed
m4 - retractable

M4 stock is adjustable.

6 Recoil :
Though I don't have exact figure of m4 but I am sure m4 would have lesser recoil than Insas rifle.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Keep away comparison sake debates from dedicated weapon threads ..

Their are plenty of things are wrong in your comparison, It seems the specs are directly copied from wiki ..

I was already aware of the difference between M4 and Insas rifle, but today while watching tactical maneuver of Indian soldiers with Insas rifle followed by watching ISIS members maneuver with m4 the difference was glaring. Insas rifle looked long,fat and cumbersome with poor maneuverability in comparison to the m4.

Apart from good ergonomics m4 has the advantage over Insas rifle in the following:

1 Weight :
Insas rifle - 4.15 kg
M4 - 2.77 kg

M4 advantage: Lighter by 1.38 kg

2 Length :

Insas rifle - 960mm
M4 - 756.9mm (round off 757mm)

M4 advantage : shorter by 203mm

3 Effective range :

Insas rifle - 400m
M4 - 600m

M4 advantage : Longer range by 200m

4 Rate of fire (round/min) :

Insas rifle - 600 to 650
M4 - 700 to 950

M4 advantage 100 to 300 round/minute

5 Stock :
Insas rilfe - fixed
m4 - retractable

M4 stock is adjustable.

6 Recoil :
Though I don't have exact figure of m4 but I am sure m4 would have lesser recoil than Insas rifle.

su35

Country flag

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Wiki refer from outdated OFB site and you quoted the details of early 1B1s, besides that their are plenty other error in it including comparison of variant with fixed stock with folded one ..

========

1B1 range is 650ms with optics, With iron sights its 400ms at best because one cannot shoot a human size beyond that distance in static ..

M4`s range is not based on capabilities of its human operative but machine capabilities,

This further shed light on the designers intentions as one is made to advertise itself for further sale and other is design as per solider`s understanding of its own capabilities and not for export as a priority but to arm its own Indigenous armed forces..

If I am not wrong INSAS is an assault rifle while M4 is a carbine
I am skeptical about M4 effective range to be 600m
My still suffers from heating issue which is multiple time discussed in the thread

Zarvan

So what happened to the new Rifle program either indigenous or foreign ?

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
So what happened to the new Rifle program either indigenous or foreign ?
In pipeline.
This is just temporary replacement till final piece comes.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Tapatalk

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles