Asian? Yes. How about Pakistani? Or is speaking the truth racism?

Scalieback

Professional
No, black could be (1) Afro-American, (2) African, or (3) Carribean.
Thanks for that, you proved my point. You've got further sub divisions of that as well such as American Carribean and American African IIRC. See what a minefield it all is? How can you or I tell whether a black person is Afro-American etc?

Indians are called Indians, and justifiably so. Native Americans are also called Indians, but then, whenever there is any scope of ambiguity, it is clarified.
Indians are called Asians in America. Until they know they're Indian that is.

Family Guy is fun, but then, they take metaphors too far. Does not quite reflect the reality on the ground.
I'd disagree from working with Americans and from my various trips over there. I went in December 2001 for example and they were certainly venting their spleens at any person from the Indian sub continent that I saw.

I haven't watched Simpsons, so I have no idea.
Apu Nahasapeemapetilon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
A Sikh was murdered in the midwest US as a result. (He wore a turban, so he must have been one of those A-rabs.:-()
That is right.

Anti Muslim tirade and mistaken identity because of poor education and knowledge.

You should also see My name is Khan!

Scalieback

Professional
Not really.

Many thing are in the statutes.

Application is tardy.

Then there is the Vote Bank politics that I see Britain has learnt.

Appeasing those who can tilt the scales to enter Parliament and then , a majority, seize power.

That is why you find things like 'civil society' crusades going on in this country.

Have you anything like an Anna Hazare Movement?
So did we leave anti kiddie fiddling legislation or not?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Ray Sir, let's forget about ARRSE now. Scalie is doing all right here an nothing that he is posting here reflects on how the nut heads over there are.

Let's move on.

Scalieback

Professional
French are romantic, well, at least their language is. French women, fur-pies, French wine, second to Australian.

I have quite a few acquaintances who have visited Europe. They have good opinion of the Germans, Dutch, Scandinavians, but almost always have forgettable opinion about the French. Perhaps they should simply refuse entry to non-Francophones into their country.

Personal experience: A German would struggle to speak English, but will go out of his way to help a foreigner.
Really? Last one I heard about was visiting a former work camp in southern Germany and beamed widely when saying that we would all be eligible to go for SS selection apart from one lad who looked (but wasn't) Jewish.

pmaitra

A Sikh was murdered in the midwest US as a result. (He wore a turban, so he must have been one of those A-rabs.:-()
Are you in California? Anyway, good morning from North Carolina. It's pretty early here. :D

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Damn (biting my tongue).

Will think twice before using that now.
Spade as a racial epithet in the US is long out of use, and I never heard it used in the South.

To "call a spade a spade" in the sense of a digging tool has been around since at least 1542, Wiki tells us.
Philippus aunswered, that the Macedonians wer feloes of no fyne witte in their termes but altogether grosse, clubbyshe, and rusticall, as they whiche had not the witte to calle a spade by any other name then a spade.
To call a spade a spade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Scalie, you still didnt get my point. After knowing the person is a Paki, should have been called one. Why the media prints Asian is the debate.

pmaitra

Really? Last one I heard about was visiting a former work camp in southern Germany and beamed widely when saying that we would all be eligible to go for SS selection apart from one lad who looked (but wasn't) Jewish.
You should see the movie: The Plot to Kill Hitler (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This will clear all the stereotypes about the Germans.

P.S.: Since the Axis Powers were our allies in WW2, many people here take a very objective view of the Germans, unlike the victorious history makers, i.e. the Allied Powers.

Scalieback

Professional
True, treat paedophiles as paedophiles, and a plough as a plough.

They are

I understand the outside perspective. It probably looks like that.
Perhaps you should see this thread from a fraternal Afghan: http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/foreign-relations/35650-afghanistan-loves-india.html

This should clear your doubts whether this is about Muslims or Pakistanis. Also, Pakistanis are also to blame, for their very own boastful claims as flag-bearers of Islam, which they are not IMO.
That's what scares the bejesus out of Pakistan. A strong Afghanistan, hence their continued attempts to destabilise it.

So if it's not race or religion, what is it? An unfounded dislike such as that for the French?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Thanks for that, you proved my point. You've got further sub divisions of that as well such as American Carribean and American African IIRC. See what a minefield it all is? How can you or I tell whether a black person is Afro-American etc?
You would not understand.

Given what is the mentality one sees in ARRSE, you have no desire to learn beyond you fog bound island or even from books and educational TV.

There is a whole lot of difference from a Caribbean black, African black, or others.

Habit, style of movement, style of speaking.

But if inb your mind it is black, you will miss the subtlety!

pmaitra

That's what scares the bejesus out of Pakistan. A strong Afghanistan, hence their continued attempts to destabilise it.

So if it's not race or religion, what is it? An unfounded dislike such as that for the French?
Newton's Law. Every action of hatred has an equal and opposite reaction of hatred. Just that Indian reaction has been more on the lines of Geneva Convention, unlike the other side.

Scalieback

Professional
Yes, identifying oneself as a Pakistani was a matter of humiliation, even if he was a good person. If a South Asian was at risk of being attacked, somehow communicating to the attackers that he is Indian could save his life. This is a fact.
Really, and you do on about the UK?

Said that, no such attacks happened here in North Carolina. If one says he is Pakistani, he is less likely to be attacked. Americans are generally very welcoming.
Sounds it. Remind me to take my hooded white pointy hat over there next time, just so I'm not mistakenly attacked.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Ray Sir, let's forget about ARRSE now. Scalie is doing all right here an nothing that he is posting here reflects on how the nut heads over there are.

Let's move on.
You are right.

It is a fine forum!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Oh and yes just one last time about ARRSE scalie. Tell those idiots Ray and Yusuf are not the same person. How dumb of them to not make out the diff.

Scalieback

Professional
Scalie,

You live in the UK.

Do you have a Pakistani or a Bangladeshi restaurant?
Dunno, how do I tell if it's Indian or Pakistani? There's lots of curry houses btw and a few Nepalese.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

It is not about religion. It is about securing national interests.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Dunno, how do I tell if it's Indian or Pakistani? There's lots of curry houses btw and a few Nepalese.
How cute (US expression!).

Obfuscation at its best.

Show the interest in the British to know about issue beyond their comfort zones!

But always ready to be knowing all!

Scalieback

Professional
And you find delight with Goodness gracious me programme! ;) :rofl:
No, it was used as a mickey take. I referred you to 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum' which is now considered racist in the UK:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles