Ashdoc's movie review---Yaariyan

ashdoc

Country flag
The only thing interesting about ' Yaariyan ' is the songs . Like so many movies in the past from Dev Anand and Mala Sinha's 'Maya' to Ajay Devgan and Madhoo's 'Phool aur kaante' this film too hopes to ride onto box office success on the strength of it's music inspite of a mediocre script.
.....And indeed the music score is memorable , and is almost capable of lifting the film alone on it's shoulders....

Of course , for people of naughty tastes there is the other temptation---plenty of half naked girls....
Girls in hot pants and shorts and lingerie try their best to bring the audiences to the theater by gyrating their bodies so that the more ample parts are on show.....
Sadly , that did not manage to bring any people to watch the movie---for the theater was practically empty on a weekday nightshow.....

To be honest , the audiences were smarter than me in staying away---for I was regretting my decision to see the movie halfway through....

Lookswise , the cast of the film is rightly chosen---the hero looks like a nice little puppy and the heroine is a cutie pie....
Above all , the heroine's Australian rival who manages to steal the hero's attention for a while reminded my of my fave actress Dia Mirza , and I was lost in her dreams for a while....

.....But beyond dreams there is reality , and the reality is that I had landed myself into seeing a mediocre film....
The acting by everyone is unconvincing , the script is badly written and the direction is stupid....
The sequence in which many of the scenes are shown is disjointed , and the story is corny as hell....

So what's the corny story ??
It's about a boy studying in a college in the Himalayas in the state of Sikkim who dreams of and is indeed surrounded by girls and girls and more girls....
He has contempt for his father who had laid down his life for the country in the past and his ambition is life is nothing but to have fun with girls....
And the movie is awash with girls in various states of undress curving and arching their bodies....

The first half is so stupid that I was laughing at the stupidity of the movie and the stupidity and laughter was giving me some enjoyment---that is , until I laughed and laughed too much and began to cough....

Finally the story began to move with a contest between the hero's college and an Australian college for which the hero and 5 others are chosen to go to Australia . Here the hero falls for the Girl who reminded me of Dia Mirza---but unlike Dia she shows off her sensational body in red bikinis....

But the Australians are not fair contestants and the hero suffers a personal tragedy while contesting with them which finally turns the film into serious mode....
But why did the director put the huge clonking sound in the film when the tragedy occurs ??.....Oh , I forgot she ( yeah , it's a 'she' ) had decided to make the film as silly as possible and was staying true to form....

The second half has some half hearted patriotism as the Australians come to Sikkim for the remaining part of the contest , and the hero comes to terms with his father's sacrifice for the nation . There is some melodrama about upholding the nation's flag in face of the Aussie challenge....

But did the director have to interrupt even this with the second romance ??---that of the hero with the heroine , who is shown to be a typical Indian girl who ultimately wins the hero's heart after he has had the fun with all the bikini babes in the typical hypocritical style of Bollywood where modern girls are shown to be only for fun while marriage is done with the gharelu ladki.....
The only thing that was modern about this was the fact that the mother of the hero is the one who encourages the hero and the heroine to fall in love . This a pleasant change from the era of films showing parental opposition as the main obstruction to love....

So does the hero manage to uphold the nation's honour in the high Himalayas ??
And what about the fact that there is betrayal in his own camp ??
To go to see the movie for answers to these questions is not worth it even if you like music and semi naked girls---better buy a CD for the music and watch 'Bikini destinations' on TV if you like semiclad girls....

The second half is somewhat more bearable than the first half due to the theme of patriotism but does not manage to salvage the film .

Verdict---Waste of money and time .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles