Ashdoc's movie review---Uri : The surgical strike

ashdoc

Country flag

Based on real events that occurred in the year 2016 , this movie shows Pakistani terrorists launching a terror attack on an Indian army camp in Uri in Kashmir . The attack on sleeping Indian soldiers catches the Indian army by surprise , killing many of them . While India pretends to be ruminating over what to do , actually Prime minister Narendra Modi has given the order for retaliation in form of a surgical strike into Pakistan occupied Kashmir . The surgical strike is successful , killing scores of Pakistani terrorists in surprise attack . The movie shows a partly real and partly fictionalised version of the events .

The fiction lies in Bollywood tale of the hero Major Vihan Singh Shergill ( played by Vicky Kaushal ) losing his brother in law Major Karan Kashyap ( played by Mohit Raina ) in the Uri terror attack , and volunteering for the surgical strike to take revenge . He then successfully takes a team of commandos across the line of control to kill Pakistani terrorists in their living quarters in Pakistan occupied Kashmir . As he had promised , he kills the terrorists by entering their very homes . This is of course like a typical Bollywood revenge story .

But the major difference from other Bollywood revenge stories is that both the Uri terror attack and the retaliatory surgical strike actually happened . The movie does show the actual manner in which the Uri terrorists must have infiltrated the Indian army camp and killed Indian soldiers . And the retaliatory Indian surgical strike is the main event of the movie , for which I and the audience had come to the theatre .

The movie is successful in creating the grief of the families of those who lost their sons in the Uri terror attack . And the desire for revenge . The surgical strike is filmed brilliantly , and unfolds like an action thriller . Except the fact that the emotions are real and you do not feel detached from the events in the movie like you feel for a normal action thriller . This is your country's soldiers taking just revenge for their brothers in arms killed and hence you feel deeply connected with the movie .

The fighting has been shown well , with automatic rifles blazing and grenades exploding at regular intervals . The grenades explode creating yellow flames and the bullets hit hard sending the Pakistani terrorists to their deaths . Knives are used to sever body parts , and at times the fighting becomes physical combat . Meanwhile Bofors artillery guns keep the Pakistanis busy on the border by regular shelling . Indian troops are transported to attack by helicopters painted in Pakistani colours . The Pakistani terrorists' living quarters are booby trapped by grenades , and getting past them is a tricky task . But Major Vihan takes his men past the obstacles to annihilate the terrorists and brings Indian soldiers back to Indian territory without losing a single man , just as he had promised .

The film has war cries and patriotic chants , and they serve to heighten the drama of the movie . But there is no excessive jingoism . Paresh Raval plays a character like national security adviser Ajit Doval and he is in overall charge of the operation . Rajat Kapoor plays PM Modi . They have some tense moments as they wait in the command centre masterminding the operation . The movie has some women characters like Yami Gautam playing an intelligence agent , and Kirti Kulhari playing the pilot who flies the helicopter that takes the men back to Indian territory .

Colours of the movie are decent , and background music and songs are decent too . Acting is good by everyone . Cinematography is good , especially of the surgical strike . The movie will be appreciated by all nationalists and patriots .

Verdict---Good .

Four stars out of five .

Yggdrasil

Country flag
Friends, I just watched this movie. It's my first Bollywood movie after 20 years or so in the cinema. I had boycotted Bollywood because of the terrorist Khans, but now it's slowly getting back on track.

Worth watching. We need to make 5 movies a year like this. Looking forward to The Accidental Prime Minister and Manikarnika. I may watch Thackeray as well, depending on reviews.

We need to up the pro-India propaganda, so the more the merrier I say.

Haldiram

Country flag
Friends, I just watched this movie. It's my first Bollywood movie after 20 years or so in the cinema. I had boycotted Bollywood because of the terrorist Khans, but now it's slowly getting back on track.

Worth watching. We need to make 5 movies a year like this. Looking forward to The Accidental Prime Minister and Manikarnika. I may watch Thackeray as well, depending on reviews.

We need to up the pro-India propaganda, so the more the merrier I say.
Uri is made by the same company which made Kedarnaath. (RSVP)

pruthvi24

Country flag
I would like to say what i felt in few points if you disagree with that i'm perfectly fine with that
*First of all movie is great when you look from Bollywood standards at least our hero is not romantically involved in with the ladies in the film or he is not singing Swag se karenge sab ka swagat with ISI agent in greece or wherever that fucking location is(god i wanted to puke when i saw tiger zinda hain on my computer)
*some body need to educate our critics that no matter which army you take Night Vision Devices and rifles will always be same this is particularly for anupama chopra who thinks climax is lift off from zero dark thirty
* the combat scenes were great
*I have problem with some scenes like DRDO LAB and bringing that NERD Intern to Kashmir as if we don't have any drone pilots or agents who can look after tech for army and agencies
*or our hero straight away going to army chief and saying that i want to take revenge send me
*killing mohit raina as no SF man was killed in Uri which made this movie about personal revenge
*Rescue from Helicopter i think it is fictional
Having said that all these its a must watch and it also give me insight one important thing how bloody difficult it becomes when terrorists wear the same uniform as you are in middle of chaos it is extremely difficult to identify who is who is with you and against you

cannonfodder

Country flag
Great movie, last one bollywood movie i watched in theatre was bahuballi-2.. I thought end could have been better without helicopter rescue; just saying. At the end it should have been press release of the operation by IA. :biggrin2:

Something I wanted to know:
1. Did we use UAV's during real operation?
2. Did we use Mi Heli's or ALH for these operations or both. I would have preferred showcasing some desi ALH used during this operation. I remember reading that ALH were also used.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Just remembered that Main Hoon Na (2004) was released on 30th April, 2004 with LS 2004 elections going from 20th April to 10th May. The movie was essentially pro Pakistani propaganda which demonised nationalism and the Indian Army and was aimed at showing how unstable and war prone the then NDA government was!

The Khan Syndicate at the time was riding on the post 90s wave and they bolstered the Congis and were widely lauded. BJP supports Uri and TAPM indirectly and you get this reaction! What the hell were these people thinking?

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
Great movie, last one bollywood movie i watched in theatre was bahuballi-2.. I thought end could have been better without helicopter rescue; just saying. At the end it should have been press release of the operation by IA. :biggrin2:

Something I wanted to know:
1. Did we use UAV's during real operation?
2. Did we use Mi Heli's or ALH for these operations or both. I would have preferred showcasing some desi ALH used during this operation. I remember reading that ALH were also used.
Yes.... UAVs were used in real operation. Footage of same has been shown in the Discovery documentary.

Since the whole thing was low key op, chances were higher of using ALH rather then heavier Mi.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles