Ashdoc's movie review---Student of the year

ashdoc

Country flag
Movies for the bubblegum crowd and candyfloss romance---that's the world of Karan Johar.....and that's the only world he knows.....

Or maybe thats the only world he SHOULD know---for he's pretty good at making movies ( and most importantly moolah ) on it.....as this effort shows.....

So lets immerse ourselves into Karan Johar's world.....

.....all designer clothes costing in the several thousands---branded clothes are for only for poor people.....and nonbranded ?? sshh !! those who wear nonbranded clothes dont exist in Johar's world.....

And college proms and games with cheerleaders and girls in bikinis....you might be forgiven for thinking you are in some american college.....

Only problem ?? the characters have to speak not in english but hindi !!
......for Karan Johar may live in his high brow world but his moolah comes from the desi audience !! how sad for poor Karan.....

And into this world of super-rich Rohan Nanda and his girlfriend Shania ( Alia Bhatt---muslim named daughter of Pakistan lover Mahesh Bhatt of aman ki asha fame....hence the muslim name ) comes Abhimanyu Singh from a middle class family.....
Middle class means he probably wears only branded clothes instead of the designer ones which Rohan and Shania wear.....

Ahh---Shania( Alia )....so how is she compared to her older half sister Pooja ( hindu name---did Mahesh Bhatt's heart make a change over in between later towards Pakistan ? ) Bhatt.....??
Well....Alia lacks the spunk , the verve and above all the attitude of Pooja---the very facts that made Pooja such a hit among the hip crowd before she began to date too many boyfriends and lost interest in acting.....
But for that very same reason Alia has innocence.....and looks like a pretty doll.....in fact I found myself thinking about her on my way home......

Also thinking about her in the movie is Abhimanyu.....for after initially befriending Rohan he falls for Shania ( Alia ).....and worse , she gets attracted to him too---invoking jealousy in Rohan the poor rich boy who has the misfortune to be also hated by his domineering father......

And Rohan and Abhimanyu the goodlooking hunks come to blows over Shania.....and they promise to beat each other in the ' student of the year ' competition of the college to teach each other a lesson....

So who wins the competition ?? and who gets the girl ??
Go watch the movie for that.....

The movie is made funny by some light hearted moments courtesy the gay dean played by Rishi Kapoor.....
In fact too many gay moments in the movie.....is Karan Johar planning to come out in the open about his....err.....preferences.....??

This is the kind of movie that will play well in multiplexes and will be liked by classy women.....

And where there are classy women there will also be ashdoc the connoisseur of class.....

So I liked the movie too....

Verdict---decent .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles