Ashdoc's movie review---Parmanu ; the story of Pokhran

ashdoc

Country flag
Parmanu is the story describing how India dramatically declared itself as a full fledged nuclear power on the world stage by testing 5 nuclear bombs in 1998 , surprising the whole world . Eventually India's nuclear weapon status was legitimized by a nuclear deal with the USA , which proves the hindi maxim 'duniya jhukti hai , bas jhukane wala chahiye' which means 'the world will bend for you , if you have someone with the will to make it bend for you' . In this case the 'someone' was India's prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee , and the team of scientists which carried out the tests was led by Dr A P J Abdul Kalam .

The story begins with an IAS officer Ashwat Raina ( John Abraham ) suggesting in a high level government meeting that in response to China testing it's 43rd nuclear bomb , India must respond by testing it's own nuclear bomb . This is in 1995 . Against scepticism by others , this plan is implemented by the government but without Ashwat's involvement . Ashwat had chalked out an elaborate plan to avoid the watch of American satellites , but that is disregarded . So the preparations for testing come to the notice of American satellites in space and America raises a hue and cry about the impending tests , due to which they are aborted . Ashwat is suspended from his job and is forced to retire to the hill station of Mussourie .

But in 1998 a new nationalistic government led by the BJP comes to power , and Ashwat is reassigned to the job of leading a team to test nuclear bombs in Pokhran in the desert state of Rajasthan close to Pakistan . His main contact with the PMO is Himanshu Shukla ( Boman Irani ) who is principal secretary to the PM . Ashwat selects a team of military professionals and scientists who are given code names from the hindu epic Mahabharata .

The biggest challenge in front of the team is to make preparations for the nuclear tests without the americans knowing about them . So they have to work in times when the American satellites are not watching them---known as blind spots . Before the satellites see them , the team and the military personnel assigned to them have to cover their tracks . The preparations go on for several days , so this has to be done repeatedly---a challenging task indeed . Sand storms in the desert create their own problems which have to be dealt with .

The other challenge is to avoid being detected by American and Pakistani spies at Pokhran . Here the director takes the cinematic liberty of making the Pakistani spy interfere in Ashwat's personal life by making his wife ( played by Anuja Sathe ) suspect that he is having an affair with a female member of his team ( played by Diana Penty ) . Needless to say , this is all fiction though it does heighten the entertainment quotient of the film . A totally filmy fight is shown between Ashwat and the Pakistani spy . None of this really happened in real life and is shown for increasing the drama in the film .

The last part of the film is like a race against time . The americans are closing on to the reality through the spies and the satellites are putting an ever increasing watch on the Pokhran test site . As the americans come to realise that a nuclear test is imminent , the Indians have to speedily put into action the mechanism for exploding the bombs . Thus the climax of the film is almost a nail biting thriller . Just before the americans put the stops , India manages to explode nukes that shatter the sands of the uninhabited desert and send shockwaves throughout politico-military establishments across the globe . A new nuclear power has been born....

As the Indian flag flies tall in the aftermath of the tests near the test site and the soldiers stand to salute it , you cannot but feel a sense of pride and thrill of patriotism . The emotional music score does heighten your feelings at this point .

Acting is good by everyone and so is the background music . Songs are good too , though they are mostly in the background . Photography is decent and so are the colours .

The movie will be understood mostly by the educated audience and is not for the masses . It is of course a must see for all nationalists of whom I am one .

Verdict---Good .

Three and a half stars out of five .

ashdoc

Country flag
@airtel@aditya10r@Abhijat@A chauhan@Alien@alphacentury@Ancient Indian@ankitPurohit@anupamsurey@armyofhind @bharatEk Khoj @Bhumihar@blueblood @brational@Bangalorean@Blackwater@Bornubus @bose@Bullet@cobra commando @DingDong@DFI_COAS@dhananjay1@ersakthivel @F-14B@fooLIam@gpawar@guru-dutt@here2where@hit&run@HariPrasad-1@IndxTechStyle@Kshatriya87@jackprince@Kharavela@Illusive@I_PLAY_BAD@LETHALFORCE @Lions Of Punjab@maomao@Mad Indian@OneGrimPilgrim@Peter@piKacHHu @Pinky Chaudhary@porky_kicker@Razor@raja696@Rowdy@Sakal Gharelu Ustad@SanjeevM @saty@sydsnyper@Srinivas_K@Screambowl@sorcerer@Simple_Guy@Sylex21@wickedone@tarunraju@TrueSpirit2@thethinker@Tshering22@vayuu1@VIP@Vishwarupa @VIP@Varahamihira@roma@gekko@WARREN SS@Willy2@3deffect

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Watched the movie on weekend. No wonder the India was shining after getting rid of those termites who have started coming out of their mounds again.

My cousin who is a movie buff told me that some political party tried to delay the movie. Not sure if it is true.

F-14B

#iamPUROHIT
Country flag

A true motivational song for any Nationalist

Berkut

Country flag
Watched the movie on weekend. No wonder the India was shining after getting rid of those termites who have started coming out of their mounds again.

My cousin who is a movie buff told me that some political party tried to delay the movie. Not sure if it is true.
We had a hall full of people in Event Cinema in Auckland stand up and clap when in the movie the button got pressed for triggering the nukes.

salute

there must be a scene bragging about how cia was fooled by india because that story was bigger than the blast itself ,
every time someone talks about pokhran the highlight is always fooling of cia rather than nuke , me always like to tell them to relax cia is fooled by a lot of other countries including pakis and china . :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Watched the movie yesterday. Really liked it. I did have a few complaints though. They did not go into the efforts of scientists who actually made the bombs quite enough. They just showed the scientist picking them up from the BARC facility and casually mention that it's a nuclear bomb to the troops in the truck. Secondly, the monologue by our protagonist felt a little bit cheesy, especially with that zoom in camera. Too similar to many communistic propaganda movies. But otherwise the movie was very well done. Good chemistry between the characters. Good pacing. And they made a very good decision by showing many real news clips which added to the realism of the movie. In the end it did make me feel very proud.

Jameson Emoni

Watched the movie yesterday. Really liked it. I did have a few complaints though. They did not go into the efforts of scientists who actually made the bombs quite enough. They just showed the scientist picking them up from the BARC facility and casually mention that it's a nuclear bomb to the troops in the truck. Secondly, the monologue by our protagonist felt a little bit cheesy, especially with that zoom in camera. Too similar to many communistic propaganda movies. But otherwise the movie was very well done. Good chemistry between the characters. Good pacing. And they made a very good decision by showing many real news clips which added to the realism of the movie. In the end it did make me feel very proud.
I am glad to hear that Bollywood has not totally gone worthless.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
So, Indian govt aborted ( or not conducted) tests for many years due to US hue and cry.

After that BJP govt tested our own nukes in our own land by AVOIDING AMERICAN SATELLITES' is Greatest achievement for India.
What a SLAVE MENTALITY Indians has ..... :hehe:
The pride is because of the finest operation Indians did with secrecy.

Watched the movie, a good movie.

Icarus

Country flag
Is it possible to watch it online (not netflix or zee). Some free streaming site.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
So ,'Testing our own nukes in our own land in secrecy' is pride moment for India. :facepalm:

..majority Indians are not only idiots but also SLAVES.
The manner in which they executed was the pride movement. They have taken every factor into the account and beaten the cia in their own game.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles