Article: What if India was allied with the US during the Cold War?

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Australia? Come on man! Those losers who enjoy "curry bashing"? I think we should show the middle finger to the roos and get on with improving ties with the rest of the countries including New Zealand. We don't want a bunch of convict-racists telling us down all the time.

Those people aren't even capable of fighting properly. After WW2 under British and American leadership, tell me how many wars have they fought in modern scenario, single-handedly? None. They're arrogant, weak, racists and only-show material. None of that is of any use to our armed forces. Let them continue sucking up to the Chinese and I think we should engage its immediate neighbour New Zealand more. They might not be strong military but at least they are decent and civilized lot.

Saudi has always been a backer of Pakistan no matter how much India cooed and curried to Arab/ Palestine side. In today's world we got to be realistic and keep only non-strategic side i.e. trading with Arabs while militarily focus should be on Israel. Turkey yes, there is a good chance if radical AKPs leave the throne and let the more nationalist and non-Islamist leaders come.
But then again, Turkey has as strong military ties with Pakistan as we have with Israel.. further bound by common religion/faith. Decent ties with Turkey and Saudi just enough to have a diplomatic relation is enough.

Jumping the NATO band-wagon so soon isn't good. We're non-aligned and independent and let it be that way. No need to put any extra speed after the cold-shoulder Obama and his companies've been giving us. Let's take our time slowly and steadily and see what we can give in exchange for a good benefit.

Maintaining strong and balanced ties is what we are known for. We're not Pakistan to jump the cars every 2 decades and start begging another power by totally siding with that one. First it was US now it is China.

This is what separates us and maintains our uniqueness. Let it be that way.

chex3009

Country flag
In that case India would be next Pakistan today, ready to be invaded by US itself.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
In that case India would be next Pakistan today, ready to be invaded by US itself.
Rightly said.india would 've been in place of pak and pakistan would ve been in place of india.

ejazr

Ambassador
Australia? Come on man! Those losers who enjoy "curry bashing"? I think we should show the middle finger to the roos and get on with improving ties with the rest of the countries including New Zealand. We don't want a bunch of convict-racists telling us down all the time.

Those people aren't even capable of fighting properly. After WW2 under British and American leadership, tell me how many wars have they fought in modern scenario, single-handedly? None. They're arrogant, weak, racists and only-show material. None of that is of any use to our armed forces. Let them continue sucking up to the Chinese and I think we should engage its immediate neighbour New Zealand more. They might not be strong military but at least they are decent and civilized lot.
Not all Australians are how you describe them to be. Besides, I am talking about governmental relationship. Right now they may be inclined more towards China because of their heavy dependance on trade with them but if India starts consuming raw materials, it can develop a favourable relationship with US prodding. We have to think rationally and not let incidents and cricket rivalries get in the way of strategic thinking.

Saudi has always been a backer of Pakistan no matter how much India cooed and curried to Arab/ Palestine side. In today's world we got to be realistic and keep only non-strategic side i.e. trading with Arabs while militarily focus should be on Israel. Turkey yes, there is a good chance if radical AKPs leave the throne and let the more nationalist and non-Islamist leaders come.
But then again, Turkey has as strong military ties with Pakistan as we have with Israel.. further bound by common religion/faith. Decent ties with Turkey and Saudi just enough to have a diplomatic relation is enough.
Again the flaw of looking at international relationships from a religious angle like most Pakistanis do rather than purely from national interests. Turkey, Saudi Arabia. Israel and Pakistan all were in the same bloc during the cold war and had covert if not overt relationship. Infact, Turkey and Israel arguably have had closer military relationship than India with Israel or Turkey with Pakistan.

Post Cold war this is all changing. Saudi Arabia provided no support to Pakistan during the Kargil War and 2006 King Abdulla visit and the counter visit by Manmohan Singh has set a completely new level of engagement. This was evident in the Saudi intelligence chief visit right after Mumbai attacks as well as the increasing level of military co-operation.

Briefly, there are changing dynamics here that should be taken advantage of rather than be hesitant and avoid them. A simple google search can give you and idea of strategic partnership developing with India-GCC countries.

Jumping the NATO band-wagon so soon isn't good. We're non-aligned and independent and let it be that way. No need to put any extra speed after the cold-shoulder Obama and his companies've been giving us. Let's take our time slowly and steadily and see what we can give in exchange for a good benefit.

Maintaining strong and balanced ties is what we are known for. We're not Pakistan to jump the cars every 2 decades and start begging another power by totally siding with that one. First it was US now it is China.

This is what separates us and maintains our uniqueness. Let it be that way.
Agreed, no one is talking about joining the US in a formal military alliance. But that doesn't mean we will not be working with the US closely in the near and medium future.
What this means is to pursue good relationships with every country with which we have no direct conflict of interests. And that excludes only Pakistan and China. Almost every other country is game for having good relations with India and there is no reason why we should no pursue them, wether its Australia, Saudi Arabia, Israel or Turkey.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
If INDIA was an ally of the U.S. during the cold war then we would have been an other Pakistan now..............................

U.S. is always known for dumping their allies..................

Global Defence

New threads

Articles