Army to train students in border areas?

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
Military Training Could Be Made a Part of the Curriculum: Govt

India could start some element of military training for its youth, especially in border areas, but compulsory training on the lines of Russia and other countries is ruled out.

Under the programme, which could be launched on trial basis in border areas, military training could be imparted for an hour or as a separate course as part of school and college curriculum, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar told the Rajya Sabha today.

"It can be introduced as an hour in a course or as a separate course. We can work out something like that. We can start on a trial basis. Let us do in some districts in borders where there is more enthusiasm," he said while replying to a debate on a private member's bill.

"After consulting members, something will be worked out, may be in few months," he added.

The bill, moved by BJP member Avinash Rai Khanna during last session of Parliament, proposed one-year compulsory military training in the age group of 14-15. It was defeated by voice vote.

Supporting the intent of the proposal in the bill, Parrikar, however, said compulsory military training was not possible in view of the huge costs of the tune of Rs 60,000 crore each year.

"...I would have supported the bill had I been sitting there (in opposition), but I am sitting on this side in government ....I will support the bill but I will point out issues which will create problems," he said.

"The idea is excellent but the bill needs to be withdrawn as it is not possible to provide compulsory military training in age group of 14-15," he said.

Khanna was not present in the House for withdrawing the bill because of which it was put to vote.

Explaining how the proposal was "not physically possible", Parrikar said if the country has 16 crore youth in that age group and half of them are fit for training, it will cost the exchequer Rs 60,000 crore each year. There will also be problems on account of infrastructure and resources.

The Defence Minister objected to a member's contention that poor youth join military for livelihood. "Though I do agree that some consider it as 'rozi-roti' (livelihood), I disagree that youth join army to get killed for 'rozi-roti'. There has to be some pride."

Asserting that nation-building and character development does not happen by military training alone, Parrikar said education system must do so, but "our teaching has slipped."

The National Cadet Corps (NCC) training too has "diluted" although the strength has increased to 15.18 lakh now from 13.8 lakh 3-4 years back, he added.

"The kind of NCC we used to have earlier is not today. It is diluted," the minister said, while disclosing that he too had to clear a course on NCC to complete his IIT.

He also shared that he wanted to join National Defence Academy as youth but could not for some reasons.

Participating in a debate, V P Singh Badnore (BJP) said 50 per cent of the countries have military conscription, which is compulsory enrolment of persons for military service.

"In India, we must have this for many reasons. ...You can have selective conscription," he said and suggested the government to divert some MNREGA and NCC funds for this.

Veer Singh and Mansukh L Mandaviya (both BJP) said it was a must for inculcating discipline, patriotism and nationalism among children.

Bhupinder Singh (BJD) and Chaudhary Munavver Saleem (SP) too supported the bill saying this would guide the youth towards nationalism and eliminate the problems like extremism and separatism.

Ram Gopal Yadav (SP) said the resolution should be taken seriously even if the bill not not passed. Satyanarayan Jaitya (BJP) also participated in the debate.

Military Training Could Be Made a Part of the Curriculum: Govt

pmaitra

Source: Army to train students in border areas? - The Times of India

Commentary outside quotes:

NEW DELHI: Government on Friday hinted at taking up pilot projects to impart partial military training to students undergoing graduation degree in border districts.
This should be available all across the country. In the border areas, we can have military training, and in the hinterland, folks could be trained in fire fighting and disaster rescue.

Responding to a private member bill on providing compulsory military training in Rajya Sabha, defence minister Manohar Parrikar said that if the government can work out a module it can start this on a trial basis in certain districts "where there is enthusiasm, districts face border". He said module can be prepared for 50-60 hours training that can be done over a period of time.
Great. Private bills should be encouraged. It is good to see people taking interest in the country and introducing private bills. My salutations to whoever did that.

"One can take it as a course; like the way history, maths etc, we can take one course of defence training. But I feel, along with this, what we need is nation building, character building," the minister said. But he ruled out any compulsory military training.
This is a good format. Students will get credits for taking up these things as a course, thus incentivising getting a college degree.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

Source: Army to train students in border areas? - The Times of India

Commentary outside quotes:

This should be available all across the country. In the border areas, we can have military training, and in the hinterland, folks could be trained in fire fighting and disaster rescue.

Great. Private bills should be encouraged. It is good to see people taking interest in the country and introducing private bills. My salutations to whoever did that.

This is a good format. Students will get credits for taking up these things as a course, thus incentivising getting a college degree.

This is already existing in one form or the other....

However, this needs formalising. But how.. ??

Catch them young and in Schools.....

Popularise NCC ..... a well established institution under MoD.

Formalise NCC as a subject from class 8th onwards when students are enrolled in NCC... NCERT, State boards and UGC must endeavour to recognise and formalise NCC as an academic subject to be optional or elective subject.

Impart weapon training and military training to the students besides incalcating character building, leadership training, discipline and adventure training, sports, gradually and progressively.

By the end of "C" certificate examination, a NCC Cadet should be trained enough to be a junior leader capable of leading others, in conventional warfare, disaster management, fire fighting and organised social work such as encouraging people to vote, sanitation, tree plantation, environmental awareness, water conservation, cleanliness drives, save energy campaigns, save girl child etc.

It should be recognised and adopted as a "national Policy" directed towards nation building without any political strings attached.

@pmaitra

A good thread where even D O D Os can contribute

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

Already merged before your posted your post. :taunt1:

However, this needs formalising. But how.. ??

Catch them young and in Schools.....

Popularise NCC ..... a well established institution under MoD.

Formalise NCC as a subject from class 8th onwards when students are enrolled in NCC... NCERT, State boards and UGC must endeavour to recognise and formalise NCC as an academic subject to be optional or elective subject.

Impart weapon training and military training to the students besides incalcating character building, leadership training, discipline and adventure training, sports, gradually and progressively.

By the end of "C" certificate examination, a NCC Cadet should be trained enough to be a junior leader capable of leading others, in conventional warfare, disaster management, fire fighting and organised social work such as encouraging people to vote, sanitation, tree plantation, environmental awareness, water conservation, cleanliness drives, save energy campaigns, save girl child etc.

It should be recognised and adopted as a "national Policy" directed towards nation building without any political strings attached.
Agreed.

@pmaitra

A good thread where even D O D Os can contribute
You should get into a university and join a course on ornithology. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
What I meant was that military training in border areas used to exists in one form or the other..... but in now needs formalisation through NCC..

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Re: Military Training Could Be Made a Part of the Curriculum: Govt

Does NCC cadets have access to INSAS?

pmaitra

What I meant was that military training in border areas used to exists in one form or the other..... but in now needs formalisation through NCC..
I did not say what you have quoted. You are essentially talking to yourself.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
A welcome move.

I thought they would mandate NCC training and also include training to assemble and disassemble rifles, engage students in obstacles courses and hour-long runs with backpacks.

A 1-year military training (not necessarily by formally joining the army, but by further militarizing the NCC) should be mandatory for ALL abled Indian citizens. Boys and Girls.

The training should be imparted along the lines of the Indian Army.

Hope this semi-conscription comes in.

I would love to see my son and daughter be a proud part of this sort of future.

Vishwarupa

Country flag
A welcome move.

I thought they would mandate NCC training and also include training to assemble and disassemble rifles, engage students in obstacles courses and hour-long runs with backpacks.

A 1-year military training (not necessarily by formally joining the army, but by further militarizing the NCC) should be mandatory for ALL abled Indian citizens. Boys and Girls.

The training should be imparted along the lines of the Indian Army.

Hope this semi-conscription comes in.

I would love to see my son and daughter be a proud part of this sort of future.
agreed brother,

apart from the usual military drills and maneuvers, we should appraise our kids on what is geo-politics is all about, what is pakistan, china & other countries doing wrt to India & its strategic interest. What is covert & overt operations( just basics) etc should be thought to our kids along with other mentioned pointers.

I am sure if India makes it mandatory, all the future citizens will be nationalists & will work for the betterment of the country & will make India proud.

Ky Loung

The USA have a military high school program design for students that are interested in military careers. It called Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps (JROTC). It like a high school class. No students are force to join. It counts toward graduation just like other classes. It induce and prepare high school student to military life if they desire it as a career choice after high school.

Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Global Defence

New threads

Articles