Army scraps the world's largest assault rifle tender

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Colt had gone bankrupt last month in U.S. , maybe govt can ask Colt is interested in shifting some of the manufacturing facility to india.

CrYsIs

Country flag
Quality control...what is wrong with your INSAS? Our RK62 is 53 years old and will be in service until 2035...quality control....
INSAS is simply a bad rife.It's good for Police vs thief scenario but not for Counter Insurgency.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Colt had gone bankrupt last month in U.S. , maybe govt can ask Colt is interested in shifting some of the manufacturing facility to india.
Yes it will be like TATA acquiring Jaguar and Land Rover from Ford Motors. Acquisition of Colt would open India to America's huge arms market. :cowboy:

I don't think Indian PSU's such as OFB are allowed to purchase foreign arms companies. Private sector (with govt. support) should take interest in this.

avknight1408

Country flag
Yes it will be like TATA acquiring Jaguar and Land Rover from Ford Motors. Acquisition of Colt would open India to America's huge arms market. :cowboy:

I don't think Indian PSU's such as OFB are allowed to purchase foreign arms companies. Private sector (with govt. support) should take interest in this.
You think US regulators will give approval for such a takeover? NO WAY. America wont even give ToT.

anupamsurey

Country flag
What are the major shortfalls or disadvantages of indigenous developed MCIWS?
Since it is a first by DRDO, it will take some time to be fine tuned.
second, it will be a mammoth task to please army, and its corrupt generals. foreign items carry one or other kind of kickback, which the army top brass, loves to the extent of ignoring shortcomings in the products, this is what has happened in almost every foreign weapon procurement so far.
third, I am not too entusiastic with the DRDO tag on weapons same apples to army too.

anupamsurey

Country flag

it is a good Idea but impossible at the same time, american govt will never let such a thing to happen.

archie

Country flag
49% ownership sould be nice.. or some indian american going for outright purchace should be nice

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Self delete.....................................................

Last edited:

jouni

I think Indians should buy Colt, I remember the old westerns when indians were always outnumbered when cowboys got Colts and Winchesters. Sweet revenge...

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
You think US regulators will give approval for such a takeover? NO WAY. America wont even give ToT.
One of the reasons COLT had gone under is because U.S. army had bought all the design rights for M4 if I am not mistaken. We are not talking about takeover, but about encouraging them to set a plant in india. They can keep their ToT, we don't need it.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Since it is a first by DRDO, it will take some time to be fine tuned.
second, it will be a mammoth task to please army, and its corrupt generals. foreign items carry one or other kind of kickback, which the army top brass, loves to the extent of ignoring shortcomings in the products, this is what has happened in almost every foreign weapon procurement so far.
third, I am not too entusiastic with the DRDO tag on weapons same apples to army too.

I have been reading your useless comments and posts which I can without hesitation declare to be in bad taste.
So Generals are corrupt ... army top brass.. do you know who those are? Can you back up your claims or it is DFI freedom that makes you piss where you desire like a bovine..

Rest all are "doodh ke dhule" .... including who so ever you are !!

So how much are you being paid to tout that line ?? Or you are indulging in narcissism having orgasm by abusing generals.... which you can not become in seven births !!!

How many times did you fail in your SSB ?

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
I have been reading your useless comments and posts which I can without hesitation declare to be in bad taste.
So Generals are corrupt ... army top brass.. do you know who those are? Can you back up your claims or it is DFI freedom that makes you piss where you desire like a bovine..

Rest all are "doodh ke dhule" .... including who so ever you are !!

So how much are you being paid to tout that line ?? Or you are indulging in narcissism having orgasm by abusing generals.... which you can not become in seven births !!!

How many times did you fail in your SSB ?
Enlighten us all then why this multi cal tender framed by such esteemed generals failed after seven years of plodding through the mudfields?

What is the guarantee that RFI for FRCV will also not meet the same fate ten years down the line, leaving future IA armored column straddled with crap like T-90 which was bought repeatedly changing GSQR for Arjun?

How such esteemed DGMF has left IA crippled with T-90s that cant fight in deserts in thousands, and arjuns that can fight there only in 124 numbers?

shafiq alam

Country flag
@Abhijeet Dey no one knows.. but "Traditionally" in Army's mind set imported is always way better than DESI, I just fail to understand why didnt they periodically made or demanded suggestions to OFB to improve INSAS system as the Swedish did with their AK-5 (FNC) just amazing how things work in INDIA.

jouni

I can understand that you have difficulties developing home-grown Arjun or Tejas, but AR....it is not rocket science for gods sake.

pmaitra

I can understand that you have difficulties developing home-grown Arjun or Tejas, but AR....it is not rocket science for gods sake.
We are not having any difficulty with an Assault Rifle. It is the imported rifles who are having difficulties proving their mettle in the conditions they were tested. Please read the INSAS threads.

pmaitra

@Abhijeet Dey no one knows.. but "Traditionally" in Army's mind set imported is always way better than DESI, I just fail to understand why didnt they periodically made or demanded suggestions to OFB to improve INSAS system as the Swedish did with their AK-5 (FNC) just amazing how things work in INDIA.
The INSAS is just fine. I am not saying there is no room for improvement. There always is. The problem is elsewhere, and you got it right - the mindset.

Also, refer to what Gen. V. K. Singh said about the INSAS.

SafedSagar

Country flag
I think Indians should buy Colt, I remember the old westerns when indians were always outnumbered when cowboys got Colts and Winchesters. Sweet revenge...
Wait... what? When on earth did this happened? Are you refering to Native Americans or what?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles