Army says 910 "terrorists", 82 soldiers killed in North Waziristan

Neo

ISLAMABAD: A statement issued by the military on Wednesday put the official number of "terrorists" killed in Operation Zarb-i-Azb at 910 and added that 82 Pakistani soldiers had also lost their lives during the North Waziristan offensive.

The death tolls and their breakdowns could not be independently verified as journalists have limited access to the restive tribal region.

The statement issued by the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) added that 27 explosives and arms making factories have also been destroyed and the operation in North Waziristan was on track and going according to plan.

The army says it has taken over complete control of major towns of Miramshah, Mirali, Dattakhel, Boya and Degan, which were previously considered militant strongholds.

The statement said the 88-kilometre-long Khajuri-Mirali-Miranshah-Dattakhel road and the Ghariom-Jhallar road have been cleared.

"Huge caches of arms and ammunition, communication equipment, and other logistics facilities used by terrorists have been destroyed; uprooting their ability to attack as a coherent force," the ISPR said.

"A total of 2,274 intelligence-led coordinated operations across the country have been carried out to avert any blowback of the operation and 42 terrorists have been killed and 114 hardcore terrorists detained in these operations." It further said that since the start of the operation 82 Pakistani soldiers have lost their lives and 269 were injured.

The ISPR said relief operations for those "temporarily dislocated" due to Zarb-i-Azb were continuing, adding that so far 19,376 tonnes of rations had been distributed among 97,570 displaced families at six relief delivery points in Bannu, Dera Ismail khan and Tank.

Military operation Zarb-i-Azb was launched on June 15 following a brazen militant attack on Karachi's international airport and the failure of peace talks between the government and Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) negotiators.

Nearly a million people have fled the offensive in North Waziristan and taken shelter at camps for the displaced.

Army says 910 “terrorists”, 82 soldiers killed in North Waziristan - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

thethinker

Country flag
What is the point of posting articles without any context or viewpoint?

No comments, no explanation, simply lift pro Paki articles and dump them in DFI. And then accuse or claim biased moderating. :rolleyes:

Don't work overtime to restore Pakistan's image, too late.

Blackwater

ISLAMABAD: A statement issued by the military on Wednesday put the official number of "terrorists" killed in Operation Zarb-i-Azb at 910 and added that 82 Pakistani soldiers had also lost their lives during the North Waziristan offensive.

The death tolls and their breakdowns could not be independently verified as journalists have limited access to the restive tribal region.

The statement issued by the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) added that 27 explosives and arms making factories have also been destroyed and the operation in North Waziristan was on track and going according to plan.

The army says it has taken over complete control of major towns of Miramshah, Mirali, Dattakhel, Boya and Degan, which were previously considered militant strongholds.

The statement said the 88-kilometre-long Khajuri-Mirali-Miranshah-Dattakhel road and the Ghariom-Jhallar road have been cleared.

"Huge caches of arms and ammunition, communication equipment, and other logistics facilities used by terrorists have been destroyed; uprooting their ability to attack as a coherent force," the ISPR said.

"A total of 2,274 intelligence-led coordinated operations across the country have been carried out to avert any blowback of the operation and 42 terrorists have been killed and 114 hardcore terrorists detained in these operations." It further said that since the start of the operation 82 Pakistani soldiers have lost their lives and 269 were injured.

The ISPR said relief operations for those "temporarily dislocated" due to Zarb-i-Azb were continuing, adding that so far 19,376 tonnes of rations had been distributed among 97,570 displaced families at six relief delivery points in Bannu, Dera Ismail khan and Tank.

Military operation Zarb-i-Azb was launched on June 15 following a brazen militant attack on Karachi's international airport and the failure of peace talks between the government and Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) negotiators.

Nearly a million people have fled the offensive in North Waziristan and taken shelter at camps for the displaced.

Army says 910 "terrorists", 82 soldiers killed in North Waziristan - Pakistan - DAWN.COM
in the view of highlighted paragraph above ,the claims are baseless and close this mard-a-momen thread:cool2::cool2:

Neo

TTP's been badly dismantled. As I stated earlier, no major terrorist attacks since Karachi Airport Siege in June.
If they had the capability, they surely would have struck during the two Azadi marches in Lahore and Islamabad.

Blackwater

TTP's been badly dismantled. As I stated earlier, no major terrorist attacks since Karachi Airport Siege in June.
If they had the capability, they surely would have struck during the two Azadi marches in Lahore and Islamabad.

Quote Originally Posted by Neeraj Mathur View Post
brother dont take this wrong way but affording and maintaining a missile capable of carrying nuke and a nuclear submarine are two different thing. i think.
The point is never say never and don't underestimate your enemy. We are looking into two diffrent possibilities:
Arming a conventional sub with nukes till the full nuclear sub can be built within next ten years. Yes we can build, maintain and afford it. The SSN development programme started ten years ago and much progress has since been made.

as u said in one of the thread recently ,never underestimate ur enemy.:taunt1::taunt1:

Sambha ka Boss

Army says 910 "terrorists", 82 soldiers killed in North Waziristan - Pakistan - DAWN.COM
Quite surprising to know that no civilian has died in the military action, only Militants and soldiers died, rest of the world should learn from Pakistan how to handle counter insurgency operation.

Sambha ka Boss

in the view of highlighted paragraph above ,the claims are baseless and close this mard-a-momen thread:cool2::cool2:
Pakistan's counter insurgency operation is extremely flawed, first turning entire population into refugee and fighting a war using airforce, tanks and heavy artillery. Its in their history once militant fled they again comes back as happened in Tirah valley and other tribal agencies. Quite interesting, no civilian has died in the massive operation when they blame high precision American drones for killing civilians. :rolleyes:

Rushil51

Country flag
I agree with you,if they were capable they would have struck during the Azadi marches. But then again,maybe they just went underground and are waiting for the operation to be over. They may have fled to big cities just to avoid army assault and may regather there.

For years he cut Taliban commanders' hair to match the flowing locks of former Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) leader Hakimullah Mehsud, killed by a US drone last November, but in May a change in style was called for.

"The same leaders came asking for trimming their beards and hair very short, saying that they were going to the Gulf and wanted to avoid problems at Pakistani airports," Khan said.

Even Uzbeks and Tajiks with little knowledge of the local language came to him, he said.

"Knowing little Pashto, they used to utter four words: 'mulgari (friend), machine, zero, Islamabad'," said Khan -- asking him to shave their beards to nothing so they could go to Islamabad.

Taliban cut hair and beards to flee army assault - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

Reactions: Neo

Neo

I agree with you,if they were capable they would have struck during the Azadi marches. But then again,maybe they just went underground and are waiting for the operation to be over. They may have fled to big cities just to avoid army assault and may regather there.
True, it is far from over. TTP has been broken and decimised but there are splinter organisations claimimg minor attacks. Ahrar is one of them. These are considerably small organisations believed to be hiding in major.cities Karachi, specially the MQM has been crying for a clean up operation but the govt refused to send military to Karachi in May tgis year.
With Nawaz now clipped by the army there is still hope that the army will push for an operation in Karachi and Quetta.

Rushil51

Country flag
True, it is far from over. TTP has been broken and decimised but there are splinter organisations claimimg minor attacks. Ahrar is one of them. These are considerably small organisations believed to be hiding in major.cities Karachi, specially the MQM has been crying for a clean up operation but the govt refused to send military to Karachi in May tgis year.
With Nawaz now clipped by the army there is still hope that the army will push for an operation in Karachi and Quetta.
TTP days seem to be numbered,internal leadership conflicts along with army operation in North Waziristan etc. but it seems it will the case of one giant organization with a particular objective or objectives replaced by many small organization with different objectives. They will not only fight against the state but each other as well. MQM party is right,clean up operation is needed or else these group will re-group in the major cities which can literally have very bad consequences.

Reactions: Neo

Neo

TTP days seem to be numbered,internal leadership conflicts along with army operation in North Waziristan etc. but it seems it will the case of one giant organization with a particular objective or objectives replaced by many small organization with different objectives. They will not only fight against the state but each other as well. MQM party is right,clean up operation is needed or else these group will re-group in the major cities which can literally have very bad consequences.
There used to be a considerably large number of Tajik and Uzbek mercenaries with TTP but most have fled to Syria and Iraq to fight, others went to Afghanistan and some remained with the organisation.

We expect many terrorits to go to Afgjanistan once the USA has left. We will continue to fight them in FATA and other areas and take control of the territory like it used to be prior to US invasion of Afghanistan.

Worst part is over.

ladder

Country flag
The point to ponder is if the report is correct, there were '920' terrorists on Pakistani soil. That statistics itself raises many questions.

Neo

The point to ponder is if the report is correct, there were '920' terrorists on Pakistani soil. That statistics itself raises many questions.
There were 920 terrorits who got killed in North Waziristan. If you have been following the developments, you probably know that we started attacking TTP on
09-12-2013 and destroyed much of their infrastructure till they begged for peace talks and Nawaz gave into their demand releasing as much as 800 suspects. This upset the military because we had weather leverage and the Talibans were stuck in heavily snowed mountains. TTP regrouped and regained strength and struck again in Karachi Airport in June resulting in the launch of Zarb-e-Azb or Mohammed's Sword. A civil exodus had already started with 400.000 IDP taking refuge to the camps. A vast majority of foreign militants left for Syria and Iraq, many.fled to Kunar and Nuristan.

Their number is believed to be in thousands but whatever stayed behind got killed amd their infrastructure is fully destroyed. Many have joined other splinter organisations, the Ahrar group and fled to Quetta and Karachi.

Last edited:

ladder

Country flag
@Neo
Their number is believed to be in thousands
This statement is one of the points that I was hinting at in my post, that you quoted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo

@Neo

This statement is one of the points that I was hinting at in my post, that you quoted.
Different sources different statistics. What I know from my own reliable sources is that there were 5.000-10.000 foreign mercenaries which formed tje elite core of TTP and another.2.000-4.000 Pakistanis. Foreign mercenaries left as TTP was not able to pay them and they found richer sources in Syria/Iraq (Cia?) Pakistani TTP split and 70% is believed to have joined splinter groups.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles