Army officers clash with cops over senior's arrest

CrYsIs

Country flag
An argument between an army officer and a group of policemen over parking of a vehicle snowballed into a major confrontation in Nashik after the former was arrested. Enraged over the action against their senior, about 150 army men on Wednesday vandalised a police station, injuring three cops, one of them seriously. The Nashik police have detained 20 young officers, while the army has ordered a probe into the incident.

A group of men in plainclothes arrived at Upnagar police station on 50 to 60 bikes and allegedly started breaking flower pots, signboards, windshields of vehicles parked outside. All of them were wearing helmets to hide their faces, said the police, adding that they figured out that the attackers were from the army from the number plates of the bikes. It was later found out that they were from the School of Artillery in Deolali.

All it began, sources said, on Tuesday when army officer Ashish Bagul came to the police station in connection with some matter pertaining to a relative. Bagul, 24, allegedly parked his vehicle in front of the police, leading to a heated argument with cops and his arrest. He was released after his seniors intervened.

However, things began to go wrong in a hurry after that, with scores of officers deciding to avenge the 'insult' and descending upon the police station.

"When I tried to stop them, they locked me in my cabin. I tried to pick the phone and alert the control room, but they pulled out all cables. They even manhandled women cops. I too am the daughter of an army man, but I am saddened by their behaviour," said inspector Namrata Desai. She said the intruders damaged wireless sets, computers, UPS and furniture.
Army officers clash with cops over senior's arrest | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

CrYsIs

Country flag
They are not fit to serve the armed forces with such monstrous ego that they undermine the civilian authority and therefore a court martial proceeding should be initiated against all of them.Further criminal proceeding should be initiated by the civil courts with stringent penal term.

In the army discipline is paramount where reporting even 1 day late carries punishment and this is a very very serve offence.

sgarg

NDA recruitment procedure is seriously flawed. The entire military structure of India is flawed and needs revision and reforms. The shortage of officers is an artificial shortage created by flawed recruitment policies of the military. These officers are not being groomed correctly as gentleman officers who can deal properly with civilians. Compartmentalization of military is a very serious flaw that can have very negative consequences for the country.

India needs some form of draft. India needs a large military backup in civilian population. The bond between civil society and military needs to strengthen. This collusion of corrupt politicians, civil servants, and military officers need to be broken that is eating this country from inside like termites. The military force and society must supplement and complement each other if India is to become successful.

DingDong

Country flag
NDA recruitment procedure is seriously flawed. The entire military structure of India is flawed and needs revision and reforms. The shortage of officers is an artificial shortage created by flawed recruitment policies of the military. These officers are not being groomed correctly as gentleman officers who can deal properly with civilians. Compartmentalization of military is a very serious flaw that can have very negative consequences for the country.

India needs some form of draft. India needs a large military backup in civilian population. The bond between civil society and military needs to strengthen. This collusion of corrupt politicians, civil servants, and military officers need to be broken that is eating this country from inside like termites. The military force and society must supplement and complement each other if India is to become successful.
I agree, having a large standing army alone is not going to guarantee national security, we need civilians to step in (Reserves). If an army officer has the mistaken notion of being the only saviour of the "humble civilians" then he/she is greatly mistaken. It was not the military but the civilians of the country who fought for independence and got it, while those in uniform kept licking the white butt.

Nobody is above the law of the land, not even these army men and we must make an example of them, these people are not fit to serve.

pmaitra

@sgarg and @DingDong, both of you made interesting observations.

It is true that in many countries, revolutions and civil wars have shaped the history and direction of the entire nation, and those struggles were carried out by both, trained combatants and civilians who took up arms. It is time to shake up this compartmentalization between civilian and military. Considering the number of people who lose their lives in the Mumbai suburban railway, it is debatable whether combatants face a greater threat to life than civilians, at least in India. Everybody serves the nation, and everybody should be part of serving the armed forces, even if it means one year mandatory participation in the reserved forces. NCC is a good example, that could be modified into some kind of draft for all Indians.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ankit Purohit

Country flag
Coin Has two Sides ,Tali Ek Hath Se nahi Bajti dosto,

Well Happy Army Day.

Blackwater

Report is half truth, Must not get quick conclusions ..
Even if this report that army officer parked his vehicle in front of police station gate blocking them enough proof of his arrogance and indiscipline

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Uninformed garbage.

The very fact that such things are happening shows how the self restrain and prestige of being a uniformed force is being lost on the uniformed personnel. It all because of too much of the unruly attitude of the civil society of taking law into one's own hand is creeping in ever since egalitarian profile has been given prominence.

The media loosely uses the word 'officer' and 'jawan' most loosely, wherein the public at large is given to believe that 'officer' is a 'commissioned officer' and 'jawan' is an Army soldier.

There is a difference between a commissioned officer and a JCO. And jawan which normally was used for the Army soldier is now universally applied to all from the various security forces.

In the instant case, the 'officer' is actually a JCO.

A JCO comes from the rank and file and he represents the archetypal of the egalitarian dream of @sgarg. So that much for egalitarianism and merging the societal blur.

NASHIK: A day after a junior commissioned officer was booked by cops for parking his motorcycle "wrongly" in front of the Upanagar police station here, around 150 Army personnel allegedly wrecked its precincts injuring three policemen, one of them seriously.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...on-over-parking-fine/articleshow/45891936.cms
Notwithstanding, strict action should be taken.

The egalitarian rot is spreading, thanks to the clamour of people like @sgarg that the military should become more of a Peoples Army and not stand aloof from the rough and tumble of society that is going from bad to worse.

if that is to be the watchword, then these incidents will become more frequent, more so when folks with such mentality enter the officer class, which they have already entered in scores.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
They should be court martialled off! Such men are disgrace to the Indian Army.

indiatester

Country flag
Even if this report that army officer parked his vehicle in front of police station gate blocking them enough proof of his arrogance and indiscipline
I would not jump to conclusions so soon.
I have been to police station a few times because I was the president of my society and we had to raise a few cases.
The police are almost always arrogant and unnecessarily aggressive.
The no parking in front is informed only after you park and go in and there is usually no board informing visitors.

Given my prejudice, I'd be on the army's side on this one.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
When army men attacks police personell then it is matter of indescipline and shame to the whole army and nation.But when some one from Kashmir or NE dies in army cuustody or in fake encounters then that is a matter of national security and everyone whitewashes such act by telling that such flaws happen every where..huh..#hypocracy..:p

DingDong

Country flag
When army men attacks police personell then it is matter of indescipline and shame to the whole army and nation.But when some one from Kashmir or NE dies in army cuustody or in fake encounters then that is a matter of national security and everyone whitewashes such act by telling that such flaws happen every where..huh..#hypocracy..:p
Enemies of the state don't have the right to seek justice from the state. And yes such deaths are totally acceptable.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Being a person residing near cochin i had came across few instances where naval personell had attacked police station near naval base in similar ways in retaliation for arresting their buddys for their misbehaviour.
Any way that sort of camaraderie couldn't be found anywhere else in any other govt.department be it state police or paramilitary.Thats a good thing. :)

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Are you sure all those men and women and children killed by army were terrorists?If your answer is Yes,then i dont have a reply for idiots like you..:/

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
I would not jump to conclusions so soon.
I have been to police station a few times because I was the president of my society and we had to raise a few cases.
The police are almost always arrogant and unnecessarily aggressive.
The no parking in front is informed only after you park and go in and there is usually no board informing visitors.

Given my prejudice, I'd be on the army's side on this one.
Coin Has two Sides ,Tali Ek Hath Se nahi Bajti dosto,

Well Happy Army Day.
Report is half truth, Must not get quick conclusions ..
More details need to come out. :confused:

Read in news(HT/TOI not sure) that there were complaints against this Police Station due to their arrogant and high handedness on people coming with complaints. :hmm:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Read it in the newspaper that 18 men were arrested.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles