Army may scrap FMBT and focus on Arjun

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Re: Army proposes to scrap Future Main Battle Tank: instead build on A

I had a article in 2011 where Chief said Arjun MK3 have green light, where as FMBT specs are not even ready yet..

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
FMBT is scrapped and we will see the Arjun back on track

http://idrw.org/?p=16066

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Not a good idea, we need both projects and we can afford it.

On the other hand who will wait for 40years between programs, the scientific pool probably left to in private sector or to USA. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

sathya

Country flag
Arjun is a proved design, And its evolving into more improved version as per need..

Its logical to work on something you know and improve it rather start from beginning..
i totally agree with that..

Even if we reach mk 5 levels, how many tanks, army will buy ? 1500 ?

After that they have to move to FMBT..
let DRDO pit something against T90 in the same weight category ..

sathya

Country flag
i am not against t90sm deal, lets buy 350 & upgrade all our t 90 to sm standard..

lets stop with that.. and start FMBT thereafter..

i dont like to see any more imports after that saying ARJUN is heavy.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It is not so, Specs drawn for FMBT will be implemented on Arjun MK3..

FMBT will shape in Arjun MK3..

Even if we reach mk 5 levels, how many tanks, army will buy ? 1500 ?

let DRDO pit something against T90 in the same weight category ..
------------------------
------------------------

Just pointing out, T-90MS does not share same spare as Upgraded T-90S, Buying new tank will force to import all kind of spares too, Bolt may cost 1000/-..

IMHO, T-90MS is not needed coz T-90S is not outdated also there are plenty of Upgrade there to keep T-90S as good as T-90MS..

i am not against t90sm deal, lets buy 350 & upgrade all our t 90 to sm standard..

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned
Hurrey this is what is required an existing platform has to be nurtured and after gaining enough exposure through constant upgrade one should move to new platform;):)

At last Indian Army came out in defence of indigenous project , Navy is always favourable , Hope good sense prevails to IAF as well

LCA should also be nortured like this before we jump in AMCA , LCA Mk1 is yet to get FOC ,Mk2 is yet to fly , ADA/HAL is jumping on AMCA that is not the way and even IAF is keen on AMCA which is totally pathetic:mad::tsk:

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned
Arjun is a proved design, And its evolving into more improved version as per need..

Its logical to work on something you know and improve it rather start from beginning..
Is there any chances of Arjun Mk3 or Mk4 with reduced weight , mean to say in the class of T-90 weight so that can be deployed in Ladakh & sikkim:rolleyes: region

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Secret stuff.

But like I said already. The Army knows best. So, trust in their decisions. This is what I have been saying since Day 1.
sir you like me is here most of the time. I also do bold part. So we are in same page. :rofl:

p2prada

FMBT to focus on weight reduction of battle tanks, says DRDO chief - Express India

FMBT to focus on weight reduction of battle tanks, says DRDO chief

MK-II variant of Main Battle Tank (MBT) Arjun has entered into the user trial phase and DRDO is looking at the Futuristic Main Battle Tank (FMBT) project aimed at reducing the weight of the battle tanks, said DRDO chief V K Saraswat, who was in the city to attend the valedictory function of Post Induction Training School (POINTS) - 17 at the Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT) at Girinagar in Khadakwasla.

Talking to the reporters Saraswat said, "The trials of MK-II variant MBT Arjun are expected to be complete within a year after which we will be in a position to produce 300 to 400 units for the Army." On being asked about FMBT he said, "The idea is to reduce the weight of the tank. Developed nations such as the United States of America and Israel have been working on reducing the weights of battle tanks. Heavy weights of tanks affect their maneuverability. We are therefore looking to reduce the weight of FMBT to 50 tonnes each."

Commenting on the Indian Operating System (OS), Saraswat said that Indian OS is relevant in the time of cyber warfare and the DRDO has set a time-frame of three years for the project to materialise. About 250 outstanding senior faculty members from important Institutions such as IITs, IISc, NITs, DIAT and other institutes of national importance along with scientist faculties from various DRDO labs/establishments and Armed Forces have delivered customised lectures during this POINTS - 17 programme, a press release issued by Press Information Bureau said.
So, this means FMBT will happen for sure.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
FMBT = Arjun MK3 .

Three important realizations drive the DGMF's new proposal. Firstly, there is growing acceptance of the Arjun, after its strong performance in field trials. Secondly, the need for an industrial "eco-structure" for providing spares and maintenance backup for the Arjuns that are already operating. This would come up only if a viable number of tanks are in service. Finally, the DGMF believes that there are no recent breakthrough technologies in armoured vehicle design, which eliminates the logic for building an entirely new tank.
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/indian-army/44441-army-may-scrap-fmbt-focus-arjun.html

==============================================

It depends, but decision have to be faster ..

DivineHeretic

Country flag
It would be a vey wise move to design the FMBT on the Arjun. It would be appropriate to mention the general expression of the israeli delegation to our FMBT conference last year that tanks are an evolutionary concept, and we'd be wise to continue evolving the Arjun to the standards as required by the army.
Another point to be noted is that there has not been any real revolution in tank warfare except maybe the emergence of the APS system.
A point we'd be better off keeping in mind IMHO is that to design the tank in a modular way, so as to enable major upgrades to be done to key systems without tearing apart the tank or worse replacing it completely. My particular interest would be the new concept of adapting camoflage that is being researched in UK and the US, and at a later stage the rail gun.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
My particular interest would be the new concept of adapting camoflage that is being researched in UK and the US, and at a later stage the rail gun.
AFAIK, Rail gun is at least 50yrs away...

Also, BAE Adaptiv is good for Occupied Territories, not useful for a Pak vs IN or PRC vs IN scenario due to terrain restrictions.

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned
But Army was in proposal of scrapping FMBT right?

DRDO should have gone to working on Arjun Platform instead of pitching into new tank

DivineHeretic

Country flag
They way I see it, it would be vey difficult to shave some 15-17 tonnes from the Arjun mkii without significant changes to the overall structure,including to the chassis. So the estimates of FMBT in the range of ~50 tonnes is maybe unrealistic for the DRDO if it wants to use the arjun as its base.
They could do it by removing one man from the crew of the tank or by a more dangerous approach of reducing frontal armour, instead entrusting the protection to APS. This in my opinion is not the proper approach seeing as the future battlefield will be saturated by EW systems and possibly EMP attack platforms/munitions which could take out any hard kill active protection system,leaving the expensive monster at the mercy of cheap AT/IED ambushes.
The US found this the hard way when their expensive Strykers were being relatively easily breached by RPG fire
Maybe a proper solution would be to develop a lighter vesion of the composite used in the Arjun aka the Kanchan II.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles