Army Chief's show-cause notice to serving Lt Gen may upset line of succession

amitkriit

Tension between the Army HQ and the Defence Ministry has delayed at least half a dozen top appointments in the Army.

With exactly a week to go before current Army Chief General VK Singh retires, there is still no clarity on who would be the officers heading two of the Army's crucial commands - the Eastern Command headquartered at Kolkata and the Chandimandir (Chandigarh)-based Western Command.

While current Eastern Army Commander, Lieutenant General Bikram Singh, will take over as the new Army Chief, there is no word on who will be his replacement.

Lieutenant General Dalbir Singh Suhag, tipped to be General Bikram Singh's successor, is faced with a show-cause notice issued to him by the current Army Chief for lapses in command.

"Accordingly, opportunity is hereby afforded to you (Lt-Gen Suhag) to explain the reasons for the aforesaid lapses. Reply to this show-cause notice is requested within seven days of its receipt, failing which it would be assumed that you have no grounds to urge against the proposed action and an ex-parte decision may be taken,'' says the notice.
================
Current chief is taking on this Punjabi-Sindhi lobby which has become the power broker head-on. This Punjabi-Sindhi lobby became extremely powerful after Indira Gandhi came to power. It is time to get rid of these corrupt people, who live and die for power rather than for their country.

He has put a huge hole in their Succession Plan.

Army Chief's show-cause notice to serving Lt Gen may upset line of succession

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Promotion is based on the ACR and other criteria as per the Promotion Policy.

The only way it can be 'maoeuvred' is by placing chaps under Seniors who are plaible and who will write a good 'chit' irrespective of performance.

Therefore, what you are saying is a bit difficult to believe, though not impossible.

amitkriit

Promotion is based on the ACR and other criteria as per the Promotion Policy.

The only way it can be 'maoeuvred' is by placing chaps under Seniors who are plaible and who will write a good 'chit' irrespective of performance.

Therefore, what you are saying is a bit difficult to believe, though not impossible.
You have served in Army, you know how things are done. In case you don't know I can tell you the complete story but in private, I already knew the name of the successor of the successor several years in advance, everything was fixed not today, but even before the appointment of the current chief, in fact appointment of General Singh was a part of the overall strategy, but unfortunately it backfired for the master-strategists.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
You have served in Army, you know how things are done. In case you don't know I can tell you the complete story but in private, I already knew the name of the successor of the successor several years in advance, everything was fixed not today, but even before the appointment of the current chief, in fact appointment of General Singh was a part of the overall strategy, but unfortunately it backfired for the master-strategists.
I was not aware of any such manoeuvering.

Though I believe JJ SIngh is the architect of the present shmozzle!

arya

Country flag

close your eyes and there will be not cat . :)

amitkriit

You are talking fact. General VK Singh has so far managed to take care of (or at least mentally disturb) every person who was part of this plan (Sukhna Scam and all). Even the DOB issue had certain relation with the succession plan. It was decided internally that the Chief and the Government will reach an amicable settlement where each party would show acceptance and respect towards other party's specific stand and General would accept government's stand, but on the next day a big article with the heading "Self before Country" was published in a popular English daily (you know who was behind it), leading to all the drama which took place. VK Singh was not ready to eat the bullet without taking down a few.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
This type of murky stuff has started ever since JJ Singh had become the COAS.

I am not aware of the case, but I was seeing Headline Today where both Maj Gen Mehta and Lt Gen Kadian did mention that the whole boruhaha was over some Intelligence Corps Havildar.

Kanwal, the anchor, read out some signals from AHQ.

It appeared that the Gen VK SIngh was rather extra keen to know about the outcome of the case and that was the genesis of the show cause.

I do not know the facts, but prima facie, it is rather surprising that a COAS should concern himself about a Havildar and action taken.

But then, I do not know the case.

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Army chief targets Lt General, crucial posts in Army remain undecided
Army chief targets Lt General, crucial posts in Army remain undecided

New Delhi: A week before he retires as the Chief of the Army Staff, General VK Singh has sent a showcause notice to the man who is currently in line to head the Army in 2014.

General Singh has written to Lt General Dalbir Singh Suhag about alleged lapses in command during a failed intelligence operation conducted in Assam in December. Lt General Suhag heads the Dimapur-based 3 Corps, which is under the Eastern Army Command. Lt General Bikram Singh, who heads the Eastern Army Command, will become the new Army Chief at the end of May. So far, there is no word on who will replace him after his promotion. Lt General Suhag's elevation is endangered by the showcause notice issued to him - he has been accused of "abdicating responsibility" and behaving in "a most unprofessional and lackadaisical manner." He has a week to reply.

That delay in selecting a Commander, sources say, points to the worrying consequences of tension between the Army headquarters and the Defence Ministry. At least six top appointments in the Army remain undecided. There is no clarity on which officers will heading two of the Army's crucial commands - the Eastern Command headquartered at Kolkata and the Chandimandir (Chandigarh)-based Western Command.

Also Read
Antony hosts farewell dinner for army chief
Army Chief pays farewell visit to South Western command
The current Western Army Commander Shankar Ghosh retires along with General VK Singh on May 31, but his successor is not yet known since the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet is yet to clear the name of Lieutenant General Sanjiv Chachra, currently the Military Secretary at the Army HQ.

Three Corps Commanders - of 14 Corps based at Leh, 15 Corps based at Srinagar and 9 Corps headquartered at Yol - have completed their stipulated tenure as head of the formation but their replacements are yet to be named. Lieutenant General Ata Hasnain, who has had a very successful and busy tenure in the Kashmir Valley is tipped to be the next Military Secretary. Lieutenant General Ravi Dastane, heading the Leh-based 14 Corps is likely to come to Delhi as Deputy Chief of the Integrated Defence Staff, a tri-services organisation.

amitkriit

Sooner we get rid of these stateless people the better. These people have no loyalty towards their country, they don't respect the oath they took, they only want power. Most of these people migrated to India after partition, they are not the "gentlemen", they are hired guns, they will remain loyal as long as they are well compensated. We know how a son of an officer becomes an officer, while better individuals have to watch from the other side of the fence.

British left India in 1947, but their moles are still active.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sooner we get rid of these stateless people the better. These people have no loyalty towards their country, they don't respect the oath they took, they only want power. Most of these people migrated to India after partition, they are not the "gentlemen", they are hired guns, they will remain loyal as long as they are well compensated. We know how a son of an officer becomes an officer, while better individuals have to watch from the other side of the fence.

I think that is an exaggeration!

arya

Country flag

you are right sir every thing is same even worst then 1947

amitkriit

I think that is an exaggeration!
That's what people are talking about. Truth is that ancestors of many of these people were loyal to British and came under the Indian flag willingly/unwillingly (I would not like to know), they had no control over it, how can we be sure that these same people will not switch sides in future? They are like Gurkhas recruited from the other side of the border, you pay them and treat them well, they will fight for you.

What I am saying might be exaggerated, but it is not completely untrue. Just see how many of these "other" Singhs serving in army and likes have Pakistani connection. They are migrants, they lost their homes, their culture and their ethics, all they want is power and since their ancestors served in the Royal Army, they think it is their birth-right to be in control of the Indian Army. It is good to see their numbers coming down, just after independence they were virtually present everywhere thanks to their "Martial Race" qualities.

They are not sons of this soil.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
That's what people are talking about. Truth is that ancestors of many of these people were loyal to British and came under the Indian flag willingly/unwillingly (I would not like to know), they had no control over it, how can we be sure that these same people will not switch sides in future? They are like Gurkhas recruited from the other side of the border, you pay them and treat them well, they will fight for you.

What I am saying might be exaggerated, but it is not completely untrue. Just see how many of these "other" Singhs serving in army and likes have Pakistani connection. They are migrants, they lost their homes, their culture and their ethics, all they want is power and since their ancestors served in the Royal Army, they think it is their birth-right to be in control of the Indian Army. It is good to see their numbers coming down, just after independence they were virtually present everywhere thanks to their "Martial Race" qualities.

A little far fetched... It seems

panduranghari

Sorry to interrupt your flow.

Are you serious? If so that is extremely shocking

Zebra

Country flag

I do not agree with this sentence . May be few of them are not good but then can't blame all of them for that matter .

btw , Advani was HM and Dy PM of India and he was born in Karachi , we all know that .

Before 47 , that soil was Indian . Our own soil .

amitkriit

amitkriit

I do not agree with this sentence . May be few of them are not good but then can't blame all of them for that matter .

btw , Advani was HM and Dy PM of India and he was born in Karachi , we all know that .

Before 47 , that soil was Indian . Our own soil .
I was specifically talking about this Punjabi-Sindhi lobby in Defense Forces. I have met many and know many, and I can seriously question their professionalism and patriotism. I stick to my stand, most of them are nothing more than Hired Guns, you pay them, they will fight for you. They are homeless and technically speaking stateless.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles