Army bans usage of pen drives

sasi

Army bans usage of pen drives
~
New Delhi, Nov 26 (IBNS) In the wake of increasing threat to cyber security, the Indian Army has bannedthe usage of pen drives on Internet computers.
"Union government is aware that cyber-crime is becominga major threat to national security and armed forces are bracing to cope with the challenge. Usage of pen drive on Internet computers has been banned as a policydue to inherent security threat posed by pen drives," Defence Minister AK Antony said in the Lok Sabhaon Monday.
"Computers and communication systems in Ministry of Defence are procured from recognized Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs)/Companies as per the procurement procedures of the Government," he said.
A Cyber Security Policy 2008 issued by the Ministry of Defence is under implementation, which inter-alia, includes continuous awareness campaign, audit of networks, strengthening of cyber security activities and maintaining of air gaps.
"Cyber security issues are also coordinated by National Security Council Secretariat (NSCS) at the national level,"he said.
/-

mahesh

Country flag
First remove and BAN the installation of pendrive ports in defense sensitive computers, "In goes a pole, until there is a hole"

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
^^ Exactly so. One fails to understand why a defence related computer would need a usb port in any case. Why would the mainboard of such a computer be accessible to all users anyway?

Snuggy321

^^ Exactly so. One fails to understand why a defence related computer would need a usb port in any case. Why would the mainboard of such a computer be accessible to all users anyway?
Question, do the Armed Forces still use normal OS like Windows ???
I have seen IAF computers using Windows XP some years ago..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Majority use Window 7 pirated :D

Though sensitive areas use other not to my knowledge..

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Policy is one thing. Having well-trained Security Managers is another.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Policy is one thing. Having well-trained Security Managers is another.
Yes. But in the Indian armed forces, am sorry to say, there is a need for both.

Question, do the Armed Forces still use normal OS like Windows ???
I have seen IAF computers using Windows XP some years ago..
Yes, they still use windows. Hell, they even use windows inside tanks' fire control system. Can you imagine using a non-realtime, non-premptive OS in a battle machinery? So, what exactly happens when the enemy is just a few hundred metres away and your windows hangs? :lol:

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Yes sir, they should start using a Unix based OS that suits their needs, or ask C-dac to create one for them.
C-Dac has already created a linux OS called BOSS Linux :D but not for the IAF Bharat Operating System Solutions | BOSSLinux which used Kgeography and Marble in EduBOSS distro and they stopped supporting the distro because it showed the wrong map of India :scared2:

But I read in some thread that DRDO was going to create a hacking-proof OS for Indian armed forces :hmm: what happened with that?

Victor Sierra

Country flag
Yes sir, they should start using a Unix based OS that suits their needs, or ask C-dac to create one for them.
Defense should create there own Operating System based on Linux. I have seen Cyber Security Organizations like Innobuzz, claiming that they have job placements in Army, Paramilitary & Ministry too. So that means we can get too many students out here or maybe in Armed forces who can do this job well.

India should strictly ban these Chinese products. Even Akash Tablet, the second version is a Chinese products.

Victor Sierra

Country flag
Yes. But in the Indian armed forces, am sorry to say, there is a need for both.

Yes, they still use windows. Hell, they even use windows inside tanks' fire control system. Can you imagine using a non-realtime, non-premptive OS in a battle machinery? So, what exactly happens when the enemy is just a few hundred metres away and your windows hangs? :lol:
I once received a call from a sensitive location of North Kashmir. The guy had forgot the password & asked for help. He was running XP on that. Then they told me that they don't even have the installation disc.

Last edited:

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
I once received a call from a sensitive location of North Kashmir. The guy had forgot the password & asked for help. He was running XP on that. Then they told me that they don't even have the installation disc.
If this is the condition of the desktops is sensitive locations, then I am appalled to think about the machines which reside in perceived 'safe locations' like Army HQ/ MEA/ RAW/IB HQ. How do they even expect to protect top secret information on the computers if they are so casual about computer security.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles