Arjun mk-2

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag

Second generation of Arjun Mk-2 has been cleared recently by the Ministry of Defence and funding allocated , while the Army has ordered more 124 Arjun Mk-1 to keep the production line in Avadi busy till the Arjun Mk-2 will start rolling out from 2013-14 onwards .

DRDO rather than starting all over again the Arjun MK-2 will have the same design of Arjun MK-1, but major changes are planned for the new generation variant of Arjun Tank to keep up with the new technological changes which are been incorporated in the MBT's world over .
Arjun MK-2 will have Battle Field Management System (BFMS) which will enable the tank to get feed from UAV's and Helicopters, which then enable the Arjun mk-2 tank crew much aware of their surroundings and better understanding of the battle zone, this will lead to improvement in coordinating with other Friendly tanks in the zone and also avoid Friendly kills, it will also give information regarding enemy tank movement along with their troops and help navigate terrain in the battle zone.

Self-diagnostic system (SDS) will also be added to Arjun Mk-2 which is like a health monitoring system. it will not only tell the tank crew if it is having any problem but also point out the trouble area , it is also important when Tank has taken multiple hits from different position and from different ammunition after a self-diagnose Tank crew will know exact damage inflicted on the Tank .

Arjun Mk-2 will get a new efficient 1500bhp engine which has been in development by DRDO in India its self, they are reports that a Indian Private industry is also working with DRDO on the engine development, currently Arjun MK-1 is powered by German supplied 1400bhp engine which is quite old in design and technical parameters but still a powerful and respected engine in the world.

NERA (non-explosive reactive armor) will be added to Arjun Mk-2 this will give the tank additional protection against anti-tank munitions, unlike ERA, NERA will enable tank to take multiple hits anti-tank munitions, but also increase the weight of Arjun MK-2 to 60 tons from its current weight (Arjun MK-1) of 58 tons.

It is much likely that Arjun Mk-2 will also spot Air-conditioning system for the crew, which will be powered from an APU which will draw its power from the Main engine of the Tank; this will enable the tank crew to operate in higher temperature of desert heat without any discomfort to the tank crew, Arjun MK-1 already has hardened electronics that function perfectly even in the Rajasthan summer without requiring any Air-conditioning system.

More changes will take place in Arjun Mk-2, above mentioned are mostly likely changes which will take place in the new variant.

http://asian-defence.blogspot.com/2010/09/arjun-mk-2.html

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
the above is a 1 old verticle regarding the arjun mk2 probably appeared first on irdw.org.now the question is whether the arjun mk2 will possess nera or era,or hybrid armour because the drdo is supposedly working all thee(as reported in different articles).
i think drdo should work on a more powerful gun system may be 140mm for arjun mk3 or fmbt.drdo can also consider a joint venture with the russians or israelis for the same if it lacks sufficient expertise though i think it is not the case.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
arjun mk2 will possess nera or era,or hybrid armour because the drdo is supposedly working all thee(as reported in different articles).

i think drdo should work on a more powerful gun system may be 140mm for arjun mk3

israelis for the same if it lacks sufficient expertise though i think it is not the case.

Both, Nera is lighter and very effective against morden HEAT rounds, Morden upgrades like addon armour on Leo2 is basically NERA..
DRDO already filding ERA cover over arjun and devloping or devloped K5 class ERA, This updates are hardly 1-2ton heavy and will be applied over main armour which will be mordanised Kanchan armour..

No, I40mm have more drawbacks for a 50ton Tank, 140mm is good but also its weight and size also increase the turret volume and size..
The ex tram blow-back is countered by muzzle flasher by french and American countered it by more bigger shock absorbers, Germans had one which is too heavy..

140mm is still immature, Most countries even US M1A3 prototype is using L55..

Israeli have large part i our program specially electronics and FCS..

Last edited:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Second generation of Arjun Mk-2 has been cleared recently by the Ministry of Defence and funding allocated , while the Army has ordered more 124 Arjun Mk-1 to keep the production line in Avadi busy till the Arjun Mk-2 will start rolling out from 2013-14 onwards .
So let me get this straight: IA had earlier ordered 124 MK1s okay.... then they ordered another 124 MK1s to keep production line busy Till MK-2 arrives. So this means IA is going to have more than 248 Arjuns. But earlier it was reported that IA won't buy more than 250 Arjuns and will cap it there. :twitch:

So what is the final number of Arjuns in all configurations does IA want?

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag

Japanese Type-10
The Japanese and Chinese have an eerily common system of designating their tanks. Both use "Type" as designations rather than specific names or some alphabet followed by some digit like T-90 etc. Wonder why is that...

The Type-10 looks awesome though! :)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
So let me get this straight: IA had earlier ordered 124 MK1s okay.... then they ordered another 124 MK1s to keep production line busy Till MK-2 arrives. So this means IA is going to have more than 248 Arjuns. But earlier it was reported that IA won't buy more than 250 Arjuns and will cap it there. :twitch:

So what is the final number of Arjuns in all configurations does IA want?
U should follow T-90M thread from page6, Lots of discovery.. :)
http://defenceforumindia.com/showthread.php?t=208&page=6

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I cant find any pics of this Tank so far!! How come its still in the dark!!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Although is looks good.

It can't be real , it looks like completely re-designed tank.
Chassis and turret are different.
# As i said 'More likely" ( Assumed )..

# MK2 will be a re-deigned model, From 58 it have to be 50tons, the turret of MK1 weights 20-25tons..

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Both, Nera is lighter and very effective against morden HEAT rounds, Morden upgrades like addon armour on Leo2 is basically NERA..
DRDO already filding ERA cover over arjun and devloping or devloped K5 class ERA, This updates are hardly 1-2ton heavy and will be applied over main armour which will be mordanised Kanchan armour..

No, I40mm have more drawbacks for a 50ton Tank, 140mm is good but also its weight and size also increase the turret volume and size..
The ex tram blow-back is countered by muzzle flasher by french and American countered it by more bigger shock absorbers, Germans had one which is too heavy..

140mm is still immature, Most countries even US M1A3 prototype is using L55..

Israeli have large part i our program specially electronics and FCS..
the reason i talked about 140mm tank gun because it supposedly has twice the muzzle velocity compared to the current 120mm.the 140mm came into existence with an experimental german project in response to fst1,2 of the soviet union in late 1980 which supposedly had a bigger gun(probably 152mm smoothbore) was able to ripp apart the frontal armour of 60ton+ leopard,abhrams tanks than possible by the 125mm of the t72,t-80 variants.now it was concluded that though the 140mm has a much higher muzzle velocity than the 120mm tank gun but its recoil is too much to handle for the third generation tank turret.after the fall of the ussr these projects were abandonned.but will increasing use of armour these in the frontal portion of western tanks it became imperative to have a bigger tank gun.the russian t-95 was supposedly going to feature a 152mm smothbore gun in a remote controlled unmanned turret but the project was cancelled in summer of 2010 mainly due to budjet constraints.hence i feel drdo should work on the 140mm or 152mm smoothbore gun for fmbt since the fmbt will surely have an unmanned remote controll turret like the t-95

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
the reason i talked about 140mm tank gun because it supposedly has twice the muzzle velocity compared to the current 120mm. 140mm has a much higher muzzle velocity than the 120mm tank gun but its recoil is too much to handle for the third generation tank turret.

after the fall of the ussr these projects were abandonned.i feel drdo should work on the 140mm or 152mm smoothbore gun for fmbt since the fmbt will surely have an unmanned remote controll turret like the t-95

Muzzle velocity depend on the length of the gun and the ammo..
But keeping in mind bigger caliber doesn't meant high muzzle velocity..

In case of 152mm developed by Russian which still exist today is not comparable to western 140mm coz Russian auto-loader is still of T-80UDs, The Russian auto-loader limits the length of the rod and propellent/Charge is same as 125mm`s, Where as French, Germany and American have no limit in length of the round, Besides Western round are single piece and 140mm Round is also single piece ammo..

140mm fired from French MBT leclerc, German MBT Leo2 and American CATTB prototypes..
140mm gives no advantage when 120L55 giving the same result that's the reason Recent Abrams BLOCK3 are equipped with L55s..

Also RCGS in today's world operate only-only RUGH 120mm cannon, No RCGS till able to handle a L44 / L55..

Leopard2 with German 140mm

French MBT leclerc with 140mm giat cannon

American CATTB prototype with 140mm

Russian T-80 with 152mm

Last edited:

kavin

wow these tanks looks really solid and after getting these indian army will get another warhead.

EagleOne

India to make Arjun Mk-II tanks by 2014

After more than 90 upgrades, an advanced variant of the Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) will undergo serial production in 2014. The tank, Arjun Mark-II, will be equipped with an indigenous engine a year after the start of its serial production to replace its German power plant, Defence Researchand Development Organisation (DRDO) officials told Press Trust of India.

"The advanced Arjun will be equipped with Explosive Reactive Armour and missile-firing capability from its main gun and better night-vision capabilities," they said. The officials said that the gear box of the tank too would be upgraded to improve its performance.

Meanwhile, the DRDO has decided to go ahead with the first phase of the tank's trial in June this year. "The user -- Indian Army -- would be involved in the trial from the phase one itself. The second phase would take place sometime early next year," said the officials. 124 Arjun Mark-I tanks, comprising two regiments, have already been inducted into the Army after being manufactured in Heavy Vehicles Factory (HVF) in Avadi. The regiments are based in the western sector.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
About the ERA, is that really needed since Kanchan armor is far superior according to many officials and reports that we came across. Sorry for my limited knowledge guys. Arjun production rate has been pretty good. If HVA/DRDO can think of a bit of marketing, I think Arjun MK1 will find quite good export markets since it is cheapest tank in its range of near-60 ton class tanks.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
About the ERA, is that really needed since Kanchan armor is far superior according to many officials and reports that we came across. Sorry for my limited knowledge guys. Arjun production rate has been pretty good. If HVA/DRDO can think of a bit of marketing, I think Arjun MK1 will find quite good export markets since it is cheapest tank in its range of near-60 ton class tanks.
Its a Cheap Upgrade, Light too and effective against both Kinetic as well as Chemical..

Lets have a 2nd HVF and we can talk abt Export..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles