Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II

Enquirer

No, they are producing the hull with OFB.
OFB????
How did OFB figure in Arjun tank production????
CVRDE has the tank production line (&expertise) lying idle! I cannot understand why other entities are in the fray!!
Would you like to share any source on OFB/Reliance involvement in Arjun tank production?

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
OFB????
How did OFB figure in Arjun tank production????
CVRDE has the tank production line (&expertise) lying idle! I cannot understand why other entities are in the fray!!
Would you like to share any source on OFB/Reliance involvement in Arjun tank production?
CVRDE are the designers.

HVF is an OFB plant. News of reliance's involvement in mark 2 was around for some time. Mentioned by a Reliance rep before this. Now again, another rep is mentioning, quoted the same.

Enquirer

CVRDE are the designers.

HVF is an OFB plant. News of reliance's involvement in mark 2 was around for some time. Mentioned by a Reliance rep before this. Now again, another rep is mentioning, quoted the same.
Technically, you're correct that it's HVF. Given the cohabitation of HVF & CVRDE in Avadi, they appear as one; and unlike ADA, CVRDE bats big time for the production of Arjun in numbers!

Coming back to the report. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Reliance is developing a 'prototype' of Arjun (less than 50 tonnes)! What prototype is this? Even the HNS variant is supposed to be around 65 tonne! Other than the HNS variant what other Arjun prototype idea is floating around?

Kay

Country flag
Being pushed around by a corrupt army looking for kickbacks for long, Arjun finally gets the upgrade it needed to fight back - the Ambani PR module. Sorry Generals, it's game over. Rosoboronexport can't hold a candle to Ambani Power, leggy Russian models nothwithstanding.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Coming back to the report. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Reliance is developing a 'prototype' of Arjun (less than 50 tonnes)! What prototype is this? Even the HNS variant is supposed to be around 65 tonne! Other than the HNS variant what other Arjun prototype idea is floating around?

That part is false, they are referencing the FRCV program and the mistake was first done by another media outlet. They just added it on as filler for their article.

The hull is reduced weight demanded by new ia requirement, but not nearly that much.

mayfair

India does not import T90. It is fully indigenised and made in India. That is why India is slowing down Arjun tank and trying to get the best out of it
Once again you fail to point out that while T-90 may be fully assembled in India, the vital components such as the barrel and armour are still imported from Russia as Russia refused to share that technology.

Till recently, even the engine was not fully indigenised.

Enquirer

That part is false, they are referencing the FRCV program and the mistake was first done by another media outlet. They just added it on as filler for their article.

The hull is reduced weight demanded by new ia requirement, but not nearly that much.
That's what I thought! It must be for an FRCV or FICV prototype!
These are supposed to use HNS anyways.

Enquirer

The Trishul guy is ratifying that Reliance was indeed working on HNS based Arjun Mk2.
Irrespective, below 50 tonne is impossible. The strength-weight characteristics of HNS does not allow such a drastic weight reduction; it allows only for about 10% reduction! Given that the gun/Reactive-armor/tracks/wheels/etc won't use HNS, a reduction of about 3 tonne is all that would be possible!!!

mayfair

50 ton seems to be DDMitis..print something without checking the facts.

proud_indian

Country flag
The Trishul guy is ratifying that Reliance was indeed working on HNS based Arjun Mk2.
Irrespective, below 50 tonne is impossible. The strength-weight characteristics of HNS does not allow such a drastic weight reduction; it allows only for about 10% reduction! Given that the gun/Reactive-armor/tracks/wheels/etc won't use HNS, a reduction of about 3 tonne is all that would be possible!!!
According to prasun reduced weight Arjun would be around 62, which makes sense. But where is this frav come into picture already. I think it's just a concept as of now. Fabrication of it doesn't make any sense.

cyclops

Country flag
I doubt that it is less than 60 tonnes either. Even with the use of HNS, the target weight was around 65 tonnes - which is what IA was asking for.

I think the it was an article written by a rookie journalist (Russian living/working in India) who probably doesn't understand much!

Even the core news in the article appears fake! CVRDE has a complete assembly line to manufacture 100s of Arjuns (especially the metallic components) -which investment it is trying to recover by forcing IA to place more orders. Why would CVRDE 'outsource' the production of the basic 'hull & turret' that too for a paltry number of 118!!

It's likely that Reliance (if its involved in Arjun project) is contracted to supply some accessories to Arjun tank - maybe RCWS or mine plough (licensed production of the UK company's design) or something like that.... or maybe it's not related to Arjun tanks at all; it might be one of the new vehicles under design (like FICV etc.)
Reliance indeed is making the hull.

From the DRDO annual report 2017.
IMG_20180621_181233.png

Enquirer

According to prasun reduced weight Arjun would be around 62, which makes sense. But where is this frav come into picture already. I think it's just a concept as of now. Fabrication of it doesn't make any sense.
I doubt it'll come down to 62. 64 is a possibility (3 tonnes due to HNS hull/turret & 1 tonne due to aluminum wheels). IA is good as long as it's under 65!

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
I think the source meant that the weight of the hull delivered is 50 tons. And the stupid jurno wrote it down as the weight of the tank. :facepalm:

But thank god Ambani is involved in Arjun now. We might get to see some decent numbers inducted in Army (~500?). Maybe, just maybe, Arjun MkII will now have a shot at the FRCV tender? I mean, they have a lot of time to improve on the design, and maybe bring the weight down to below 60 tons (which is the weight limit specified in the FRCV tender).

Hope Ambani also gets contracted for FMBT. If these guys become defence contractors, Indian indigenous industry might see another sunrise.

proud_indian

Country flag
I doubt it'll come down to 62. 64 is a possibility (3 tonnes due to HNS hull/turret & 1 tonne due to aluminum wheels). IA is good as long as it's under 65!
Do you see Arjun being produced in numbers like 500+ in coming years after all the enhancements?

Enquirer

Do you see Arjun being produced in numbers like 500+ in coming years after all the enhancements?
The new hull/turret will need to go through years of trials!

Much depends on far away FRCV design/development is; and how quickly Bharat Power pack materializes.

There's some murmurs about 400+ Arjun Mk2s; but nothing can be said with certainty regarding IA.

mayfair

The push has to come from MoD. Direct IA to order substantial units of MKII no ifs...no buts.
If it can be done for Dhanush, ATAGS, LCA, then I cannot see why not Arjun MkII

Adioz

Much depends on far away FRCV design/development is
What design and development?:confused1:

FRCV is an Army requirement, not a DRDO project.

Am I missing something? Did DRDO announce a new product for FRCV?

Advaidhya Tiwari

Once again you fail to point out that while T-90 may be fully assembled in India, the vital components such as the barrel and armour are still imported from Russia as Russia refused to share that technology.

Till recently, even the engine was not fully indigenised.
The armour is Indian armour, not Russian. Even barrel is Indian, not Russian. Just because Russia refused ToT does not mean that India imports them. Engine was also supposed to be Indian but UPA sabotaged it. So, it was not Russian fault.

T90 is fully assembled as well as produced in India.

Adioz

The armour is Indian armour, not Russian. Even barrel is Indian, not Russian. Just because Russia refused ToT does not mean that India imports them. Engine was also supposed to be Indian but UPA sabotaged it. So, it was not Russian fault.

T90 is fully assembled as well as produced in India.
IPR? No IPR, no rights to modify the tanks.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles