Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

binayak95

Country flag
User Trials of 120mm FSAPDS Mk II for Arjun Mk I/II MBT successfully completed.
View attachment 20350
View attachment 20349
APFSDS from a rifled gun? I always thought that imparting spin stabilization to a Fin Stabilized shot decreased its performance.
I guess DRDO found a way around that, perhaps a slip ring? Anyone got any insider info how they achieved it. Because 500 mm penetration is decent.
US made M829A2 DU penetrators have around 730mm of RHA penetration when fired from 2km away. And this was in the 1990s.

500mm seems tame in comparison, though, perhaps DRDO isn't revealing actual values.

Last edited:

Pandora

Country flag
Guys nirmala sitaram is quite active in twiiter.Lets ask her why army reluctant to carry out t90 vs arjun mk2.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
No, Its not a complicated technology but smaller things which matter alot for crew usually get ignored ..

======

Tank helmet is design for communication as it has inbuilt micro-phone and head set, Its also design to protect the wearer from injury within the tank ..

Russian helmet presently used are 80s design and are uncomfortable in Indian environment the noise reduction quality is poor, Its has throat microphones for communication ..

==============

The new helmet looks par with other modern tank helmets with large headset and a western style with better noise reduction microphones and headset ..

MKU also make tank helmets, Not sure this is one of those or Israeli tot ..

Is tank helmet a complicated technology? Or is it just a helmet for the crew to protect themselves when peeping out of tanks?

Chinmoy

Country flag
APFSDS from a rifled gun? I always thought that imparting spin stabilization to a Fin Stabilized shot decreased its performance.
I guess DRDO found a way around that, perhaps a slip ring? Anyone got any insider info how they achieved it. Because 500 mm penetration is decent.
US made M829A2 DU penetrators have around 730mm of RHA penetration when fired from 2km away. And this was in the 1990s.

500mm seems tame in comparison, though, perhaps DRDO isn't revealing actual values.
Use slip obturator....................

Vijyes

This was in news a few months back. The scientists did some jugaad and managed to find a way.

Our Defense Minister Nirmala Sitharaman witnessed its firing recently -

http://m.timesofindia.com/city/jaip...rjun-tank-in-pokhran/articleshow/60811840.cms

singh100ful

Country flag
Guys nirmala sitaram is quite active in twiiter.Lets ask her why army reluctant to carry out t90 vs arjun mk2.
because those two tanks cannot be compared.
t90 is medium battle tank whereas arjun is a main battle tank.
any one who says that this tanks can be compared and there will be winner in this comparision is trying to compare apple with oranges.

binayak95

Country flag
any one who says that this tanks can be compared and there will be winner in this comparision is trying to compare apple with oranges.
We need more Arjuns, that is for certain. Keep inducting Arjuns for the next ten odd years. Create Mark III, IV and so on. Use the tech developed for the Arjun (Kanchan Armour, HNS steel, Bharat powerpack, ERA-II, etc) and integrate them into the T-90s being built here.

bose

Country flag
We need more Arjuns, that is for certain. Keep inducting Arjuns for the next ten odd years. Create Mark III, IV and so on. Use the tech developed for the Arjun (Kanchan Armour, HNS steel, Bharat powerpack, ERA-II, etc) and integrate them into the T-90s being built here.
If I am not wrong Russia will not allow India to integrate indigenous tech into T-90... sometime back they had issues with India putting up air conditioners within T-90 ...

Aghore_King

Country flag
Tech developed for Arjun will be employed in FMBT....

binayak95

Country flag
If I am not wrong Russia will not allow India to integrate indigenous tech into T-90... sometime back they had issues with India putting up air conditioners within T-90 ...
I've read elsewhere that we already have started integration of Indian tech into the T-90s. Indian built T-90s have Kanchan armour, ERA-II and local sights as well as reportedly a locally built smoothbore 125mm gun. Don't know about the last part but the others seem plausible.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Their is nothing sort of medium and heavy any longer just Main battle tank ..

If this was a orange vs apple contest then comparative trails between MK1 and T-90 bhishma never been conducted ..

Flame Thrower

I damn care which is medium and which is heavy.

I care about which has higher survivability? which has high firepower? which has lower maintenance?which can cross cannals under the support of Indian army engineering and logistics divisions?

Last but not least, which can be updated at will?

I damn care if it is apple or orange, I care which can fulfill my hunger completely; which is tasty and costs less.

Vijyes

I damn care which is medium and which is heavy.

I care about which has higher survivability? which has high firepower? which has lower maintenance?which can cross cannals under the support of Indian army engineering and logistics divisions?

Last but not least, which can be updated at will?

I damn care if it is apple or orange, I care which can fulfill my hunger completely; which is tasty and costs less.
There is bound to be differences in climbing angle between heavy and lightweight tanks.

T90 has lower maintenance than Arjun due to higher number of moving parts and mechanisms to fire more accurately during motion in Arjun Tank.

Arjun has higher survivability and firepower. T90 can definitely cross canals as it has lower weight. Arjun too can cross canals with better bridges but its ability is less than T90 where there is long bridge needed etc.

Updates can be better added to Arjun as it is Indian but T90 can also be updated.

There is always some trade off between performance and geographical adaptability. There is no clear picture of what is optimal and why as if now

Pandora

Country flag
Well my friend if you not aware ,army already did this comparison.

Flame Thrower

@Vijyes, during wartime we can't rely on infrastructure.

Be it ours or enemy bridges, there is always chances of bridges blown to slowdown advancing enemy force.

If we can build temporary bridges(on cannals, lakes and rivers) for Arjun tanks, then that should end the case.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles