Are you offended by this?

Ash

Country flag
A popular satirist in South Africa used the Hindu God Ganesha in a cartoon which is mean't to depict the issues between Harron Lorgat and the BCCI. It has offended the Hindu's in South Africa. The cartoonist has refused to apologise. he follows the Jewish Faith. What do you guys think. I could not post the cartoon , follow the link, the pic is the first one.

https://www.google.co.za/search?q=z...MFc3y7Aa_vIGoBw&ved=0CEUQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=843

sob

Mod
Country flag
No need to get overtly sensitive. I do not find it offensive at all.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I would say that the cartoonist is not too clued up with the significance of the pantheon of Indian Gods.

Hence, his allegory is not quite in context.

The laugh is on him and I would think Hindus should not feel offended because of his ignorance of the religion.

There is nothing for anyone to take offence or do a song and a dance over it.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Last edited by a moderator:

kseeker

Retired
It's not offensive IMO !

Last edited:

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
He could've done some research. It's a meh cartoon, I liked 100 ft. machine gunner Ganesh better. Why are the NRI Hindus so sensitive though?

Ash

Country flag
He could've done some research. It's a meh cartoon, I liked 100 ft. machine gunner Ganesh better. Why are the NRI Hindus so sensitive though?
I think when you live in a mutliracial and multi religious society, people are more prone to be sensitive about their religion or even race. Every race/religion sets boundaries of what is acceptable to them.Crossing it raises anger.
Personally I think the cartoonist should have apologised since he has seemed to hurt the feeling of many.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

Last edited by a moderator:

bennedose

The cartoonist is ignorant. When I read early British and European reactions to the Indian pantheon they were in a strange country and many descriptions indicate fear of the many armed idols and people who appeared (to Europeans) like devil worshippers. In particular, the images of Goddess Kali defeating the evil Mahishasura became iconic for a "bloodthirsty Hindu God" - a total misinterpretation of the Hindu legend. This cartoonist is showing human sacrifice in front of Ganseh that mixes up Ganesh with the gore they wrongly associate with Kali and the completely unrelated sacrifice associated with tantric ritual.

There is actually something mildly racist in the cartoon. What the men are worshipping is the money that is shown in BCCI Ganesh's hands . If they are worshipping money from India and not Ganesh, the picture of Ganesh is not relevant other than to indicate "India". If people would kill for money, why make a cartoon that makes it seem like they kill for Ganesh who is giving them money? That is misleading and offensive.

Last edited:

bennedose

Completely off topic.

It appears that in the earliest parts of the Rig Veda "Devas" and "Asuras" are held in esteem. In that later parts Asuras become evil. In a mirror image of that, Zoroastrianism, which is thought to be a breakaway piece of the old Vedic religion held "devas" as forces of evil, while the single Asura "Ahura Mazda" was worshipped. "S" becomes "H" in Zoroastrianism - so Sapta Sindhu becomes Hapta Hindu, Asura becomes Ahura and people from the west started calling the people near the Sindhu river (Indus) as Hindus. The Goddess Kali of course was destroying evil when she defeats and kills the demon (Asura) - Mahish-asura. And idols/images of this battle were interpreted as a bloodthirsty Hindu Goddess while all she was doing was defeating evil.

Funnily enough English has inherited both the good and evil meanings of "deva" which occur in the cognate words deity, diva, deus as well as devil/demon.

Sorry to digress.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
There is actually something mildly racist in the cartoon. What the men are worshipping is the money that is shown in BCCI Ganesh's hands . If they are worshipping money from India and not Ganesh, the picture of Ganesh is not relevant other than to indicate "India". If people would kill for money, why make a cartoon that makes it seem like they kill for Ganesh who is giving them money? That is misleading and offensive.
Well if we take the long nose of the guy on the left and the fact they are worshiping money into account those guys could actually be Jewish.

(It's funny because the original artist is Jewish lelelelel XD)

Ash

Country flag
Well thought out, I think you hit the nail on the head. Ganesh was mean't to symbolise India, I can't think of a better depication of India. So he did not use the image in a derogatory manner, however the fact is that it was offensive to many people. If it offends a large number of people from a particular denomination, logic should prevail and the cartoonist should realise his transgression and apologise or he gives the impression that he doesn't care about the feeling of this particular denonmination, if he does not apologise.
Knowing how certain race groups feel about others in South Africa, I don't expect him to apologise.

Free Karma

I didnt really find it offensive, but I guess when you look at the comments on the mars lauch vehicle, you kinda get an idea of what NRI's have to face, which might leave them a to be a bit more protective.

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
Why is this hatred towards Jews ? They did nothing wrong to Indians !
Then why love???
They are just business partner.
Actually they are fighting for survival and they need us and not the other way round.
I am not emotional rather i am practical.
question is on you why should I or you like israel???
I don't like them and i don't hate them either.
About my above post I was just kidding.
Actually I wanted to see how many of you get emotional when you see a fellow countrymen bad mouthing israel.

kseeker

Retired
Then why love???
Actually they are fighting for survival and they need us and not the other way round.
Actually I wanted to see how many of you get emotional when you see a fellow countrymen bad mouthing israel.
Dude,My reply was not emotional ! Where did you see emotion ?

If you do not love or hate jews, why on earth did you call them b!tch and talked about slaughtering them in the first place ?

Your earlier post certainly looked like a hate speech since didn't mention that you were kidding (really ?) earlier !

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
I am offended because the cartoon slights Kali, who should be given credit for the practice of human sacrifice.

Indian cult kills children for goddess | World news | The Observer
I am offended by the SHEER ignorance of Jonathan "Zapiro" Shapiro since this idiot didn't put the right God. :lol:

The Joke is on him because he showed his ignorance and didn't not apologise just like most of these Westerners and made a fool of himself by and his community as well ie. Jews.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am offended by the SHEER ignorance of Jonathan "Zapiro" Shapiro since this idiot didn't put the right God. :lol:

The Joke is on him because he showed his ignorance and didn't not apologise just like most of these Westerners and made a fool of himself by and his community as well ie. Jews.

Is he the cartoonist?

I thought he is an Arab!

Waffen SS

Then why love???
Mate we also need them, I like them over Pakistani and Bangladeshis. Jews are peaceful. Judaism like Hinduism surely has some thing as eternal true that's why Jews still exist today despite many atrocities on them, they survived where as many Pagan religion from Europe vanished.

Really? Then I failed the test, I was excited and a bit angry when I read that.

I am not offended in this at all.

But cartoon shows Ganesh Thakur(God) as Harun Lorgat and BCCI arguing. Well BCCI is a sports organization. Ganesh Thakur is neither devata of Sports nor Devata of money. So why Ganesh Thakur was depicted there?:frusty:

It rather shows his poor knowledge in Hinduism.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles