Are we giving our lateral thinking ability away via this forum

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag

Indians are good in lateral thinking - should we give our lateral thinking ability all away on this forum

it has occurred to me for quite some time that basically chinese are good in vertical thinking , indians better in lateral thinking

vertical thinking requires more force , discipline while lateral thinking requires the ability to dream , drift in thought - vertical thinking gets things done , lateral thinking discovers and creates

vertical thinking is in a sense easier , just move - lateral thinking doesn't get rewarded until something major is achieved

the mechanics of vertical thinking are easier to teach and easier to copy eg timetables, time charts the basis of logic charts, the system of mind-mapping logic ., lateral thinking must be kept secret and when divulged to the public, it requires copyright protection ...lateral thinking is what fills the mind maps without which they remain empty

Before ending - A controversial statement , the usa is probably the best in lateral thinking , the brits seconds and indians third ? ( i did say it was controversial )

But , if, as i believe, we indians are better at lateral thinking than most others , then should we be more circumspect that we may be giving info and strategy via this military defence forum, to a dragon at our borders ?

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

Indians are good in lateral thinking - should we give our lateral thinking ability all away on this forum

it has occurred to me for quite some time that basically chinese are good in vertical thinking , indians better in lateral thinking

vertical thinking requires more force , discipline while lateral thinking requires the ability to dream , drift in thought - vertical thinking gets things done , lateral thinking discovers and creates

vertical thinking is in a sense easier , just move - lateral thinking doesn't get rewarded until something major is achieved

the mechanics of vertical thinking are easier to teach and easier to copy eg timetables, time charts the basis of logic charts, the system of mind-mapping logic ., lateral thinking must be kept secret and when divulged to the public, it requires copyright protection ...lateral thinking is what fills the mind maps without which they remain empty

Before ending - A controversial statement , the usa is probably the best in lateral thinking , the brits seconds and indians third ? ( i did say it was controversial )

But , if, as i believe, we indians are better at lateral thinking than most others , then should we be more circumspect that we may be giving info and strategy via this military defence forum, to a dragon at our borders ?
Welcome post and good ideas...
The forum, as I see it encourages partisanship and domination of the biased ideas of a group of people... with no tolerance....
From my little and narrow perspective, all DODOs in the forum abuse and use harsh words for the Armed Forces freely and they are encouraged to do so..

INSAS and ARJUN tank thread are prime examples..

pmaitra

Welcome post and good ideas...
The forum, as I see it encourages partisanship and domination of the biased ideas of a group of people... with no tolerance....
From my little and narrow perspective, all DODOs in the forum abuse and use harsh words for the Armed Forces freely and they are encouraged to do so..

INSAS and ARJUN tank thread are prime examples..
Frankly, if I had my way, I'd refer a person to a mental hospital, the moment he suggests that a bird designed a rifle and a tank; but then, that's just me.

Keep posting!

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Frankly, if I had my way, I'd refer a person to a mental hospital, the moment he suggests that a bird designed a rifle and a tank; but then, that's just me.

Keep posting!
you are a fit candidate for that and a partisan..... so write what ever rubbish you wish to as as you seems to have no restrictions including the self imposed..

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
This thread would be helped by examples of lateral thinking and lateral thinkers. Is vertical thinking really the opposite of lateral thinking?

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
This thread would be helped by examples of lateral thinking and lateral thinkers. Is vertical thinking really the opposite of lateral thinking?
youre right about that - i hope i didnt give the impression that they are contrary to each other - i merely wanted to point out that it seems to me that our strength is in lateral thinking rather than vertical

the two basic ways of think ing ( and there may well be more ) are actually complementary - i missed out to say that we indians would benefit by adding more vertical thinking to our capability

as for examples of lateral thinking - there is the well-known and perhaps over-quoted example of MK Gandhi whose lateral thinking of overcoming force by peace helped overcome the colonial forces and keep india in one piece,

the various forms of YOGA which seems "twisted" in terms of western vertical way of thought and therefore are an excellent example of lateral thinking , there are the various forms of martial arts eg kung fu which have their origin in indian thinking , indeed buddhism itself is another example , the ayurvedic systems , again allow me to go back to kundalini yoga as it stands out by itself

the major religions of sikhism and hinduism plus jainism

the one outstanding example of vertical thinking would be the decimal number system which india gave to mankind - imagine doing a simple multiplication of 25890 x 97369 via the roman lettering system i.e. MCKUUHGIV x KDGDOLHVI ( incorrect letters ! )

examples of our need for better vertical thinking are the extension of project datelines eg LCA fighter plane ! and an few others

my hope is that we will master the two systems of thinking before november 2013 , the date by which MM Singh has told the whole world that we will launch our probe to mars or at least before 2016 , the date he again has told the whole world we will have our first manned spaceflight ..!!!

Last edited:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
another example is that in the 1960's the west was pushing for "planned parenthood " or family planning - meaning to say that the "undeveloped" third world should not produce too many kids - many countries "obeyed" india did not - today we see demographic problems in the west which previously "undeveloped" india is CURRENTLY, for the time being spared ( and india will have to come up with something innovative to prevent it happening - perhaps something "innovative" like - let nature take its course ? ) ...

there are other examples , - but i might be giving away what i had said we shouldnt as in the title of the thread

Last edited:
Country flag
Lateral thinkers are suppose to have more control over their emotions. One question that
comes to mind is does society/environment shape lateral or vertical thinking?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles