Are punjabi and pakjabi really the same race?

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Need input from punjabis on the similarities between these two hairy races of the world :D what is the differences? And how come pakjabi have worse beard growing genetics? :taunt:

Blackwater

Yes they were Hindus before , north and West Indians share same DNA as Sindhi and pakjabis

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
How is Race defined ? As a rule of thumb, we use linguistics (and cultural traits) to distinguish a Race, therefore all people who speak Punjabi or its dialects can be considered of one Race.

However, Punjabi speaking people genetically have had a higher amount of variation and similarity with Western Asia and Europe as compared to Rest of India, due to invasions and their geographic proximity to these areas.

@Singh

Last edited by a moderator:

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
How is Race defined ? As a rule of thumb, we use linguistics (and cultural traits) to distinguish a Race, therefore all people who speak Punjabi or its dialects can be considered of one Race.

However, Punjabi speaking people genetically have had a higher amount of variation and similarity with Western Asia and Europe as compared to Rest of India, due to invasions and their geographic proximity to these areas.

@Singh
Sir I have seen those greater Punjab type maps before and I suppose you can classify those languages as dialects of punjabi, however the punjabi identity has morphed into something that is exclusive to Sikhs more or less and especially the Jatt Sikhs. All of those other areas have varying ethnic composition in terms of caste and non ethnic differences such as religion. Plus on the peripheries of this map you find that phenotype does change as well. Hindkos look very different from a punjabi from Jalandhar. As such the punjabi identity belongs to those living in the Indian Punjab and those in Pakistani Punjab, though again Pakistani Punjab is much more diverse.
Also many cultures are changing and have changed a lot. I don't know about others but the dogra culture has changed certainly. How many punjabis drink the pink Kashmiri sheer chai? How many eat nadru or even know what that is? How many eat kadam? How many eat dum aloo? You probably don't even know about most of these but these are all a regular part of dogra cuisine now, adopted from Kashmiris. Cultures morph. The only ones who are zealous about their punjabi identity are the Sikhs and as such it belongs to them.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Btw @Singh the cultures are bit different. For examples punjabis wear loose fitting shalwar kameez, for both men and women. Dogra women traditionally wear a very tight dress. Idk what it's called? Churidar like thingy? Idk what it's called. Even mirpuris wear loose fitting dress.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Sir I have seen those greater Punjab type maps before and I suppose you can classify those languages as dialects of punjabi, however the punjabi identity has morphed into something that is exclusive to Sikhs more or less and especially the Jatt Sikhs. All of those other areas have varying ethnic composition in terms of caste and non ethnic differences such as religion. Plus on the peripheries of this map you find that phenotype does change as well. Hindkos look very different from a punjabi from Jalandhar. As such the punjabi identity belongs to those living in the Indian Punjab and those in Pakistani Punjab, though again Pakistani Punjab is much more diverse.
Also many cultures are changing and have changed a lot. I don't know about others but the dogra culture has changed certainly. How many punjabis drink the pink Kashmiri sheer chai? How many eat nadru or even know what that is? How many eat kadam? How many eat dum aloo? You probably don't even know about most of these but these are all a regular part of dogra cuisine now, adopted from Kashmiris. Cultures morph. The only ones who are zealous about their punjabi identity are the Sikhs and as such it belongs to them.
I think you have gone off on a different tangent.

===
On Race

You asked if Indian and PAkistani Punjabis are of the same race, and I answered they were and as are all people who speak Punjabi dialects that is because the basis of racial classification is, as a rule of thumb, a linguistic identity.
==
On Looks

Now coming to looks, looks depend upon genetics, and amongst Punjabis there is a lot of genetic variation, however, each "tribe"/"caste" has a somewhat distinct genetic markers(imo). So you can generalize looks based on castes, for eg Jatts, vs Banias etc.

Pre-Partition, some castes/tribes inhabited particular regions, and married within their subregion and subcastes, perhaps confirming your suspicion that people from different regions have "a distinct look". Their distinguishing traits got amplified because of limited genetic pool.

However, looks were not considered relevant in the case of "biradaris" amongst Punjabis.
===
On Identity

However, post-partition a lot of things changed.
Due to the complexities of post-partition period, Sikhs assumed the mantle of Punjabi identity despite being lesser in numbers than Muslims and Hindus. There are plenty of threads discussing why this happened.

In a democracy, esp a federal democracy such as ours where votebank politics is rampant, it is necessary for people to look out for their interests. The Govt. also favours breaking up a single strong interest groups into weaker groups who will have lesser bargaining power.
This led to breakup of Punjabis into smaller interest groups such as Jatt Sikhs, Hindu Brahmins and trifurcation of Punjab etc.
==
On Culture

One must understand culture is shaped by one's language and vice versa. And this is especially true for India.

However, there are definite differences in cultural traits within castes, within regions etc. I would argue environment shapes an individual to a large extent.

My cultural traits would be similar to other Delhites of my socio-economic strata and bent of mind than from my rural cousin for eg.

However, Punjabi language and culture are distinct from neighbouring language and culture. For eg. Sindhi, Pashtun, Kashmiri, Rajasthani, Baloch are distinct from Punjabis
==

Snuggy321

Differences in DNA between different ethnic groups are too insignificant to talk about "races".

Race theory has been proven as BS.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles