Are NRIs trying to please their foreign masters in the DK case?

Are comments of NRIs designed to please their foreign masters?

• Total voters

Deccani

Tihar Jail
Banned
Who exactly cares what these NRIs have to say on the DK issue?? It's us Indians who have inflated and conflated the opinions of a few NRIs.
In real International issues like this do affect NRI the most as they are the ones who are like the representative of their country for the ordinary people .

And what's wrong in them supporting their new homeland anyway? Wouldn't we like it if foreigners based in India supported us more than their ancestral Nations?
They do support both sides in real and its due to the current media that for everything everyone wants to do things in their ways.

Phantom

In real International issues like this do affect NRI the most as they are the ones who are like the representative of their country for the ordinary people .
That's a misconception actually. They are only cultural representatives of India(which isn't even the case in many 2nd or 3rd Generation expat Indian families), not the representatives of the Indian Government. Nobody need bother with whatever personal views they have in a Diplomatic row between the two Nations.

Deccani

Tihar Jail
Banned
That's a misconception actually. They are only cultural representatives of India(which isn't even the case in many 2nd or 3rd Generation expat Indian families), not the representatives of the Indian Government. Nobody need bother with whatever personal views they have in a Diplomatic row between the two Nations.
I am not saying that they show themselves as cultural representatives but they are made by the local population that for everything the local population bring things about the nation, culture etc. Only the right mined people will understand this that its a diplomatic issues between Governments but the local population will be aware that its against law but still they would pretend that they don't know the law or they are above the law . And if have to live in their countries then have to listen to their nonsense which is against the universal human rights .

pmaitra

I am not saying that they show themselves as cultural representatives but they are made by the local population that for everything the local population bring things about the nation, culture etc. Only the right mined people will understand this that its a diplomatic issues between Governments but the local population will be aware that its against law but still they would pretend that they don't know the law or they are above the law . And if have to live in their countries then have to listen to their nonsense which is against the universal human rights .
In Rome do as the Romans do. One has freedom of speech in the US, so there is no coercion to parrot the US government line. The reason that some NRIs are acting the way they are, is either they really believe in what they are saying, or are trying to prove that they are more loyal than the king. Most Americans don't discuss politics or talk "nonsense." Ordinary people in any country are good people.

Deccani

Tihar Jail
Banned
In Rome do as the Romans do. One has freedom of speech in the US, so there is no coercion to parrot the US government line. The reason that some NRIs are acting the way they are, is either they really believe in what they are saying, or are trying to prove that they are more loyal than the king. Most Americans don't discuss politics or talk "nonsense." Ordinary people in any country are good people.
In Rome , when people try to do as Romans then problems are created and again and again shown that there is no need to act like Romans because Indians cant reach to the position of Romans and this is the attitude of the so called good people in certain countries who claim to be our allies and friends . America is not Rome and things are different in America and are not up to that extend .

Soul83

yeah i agree they want to prove themselfes as loyal americans, and no longer indians. america is very patriotic nation and eventhough there is free speech there is also social pressure to be patriotic american, a group might be viewed with suspicion if they dont side with america over their ancestral land, they can even be hated and mocked ridiculed etc. japanese americans were put in concentration camps during WW2 etc.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

pmaitra

yeah i agree they want to prove themselfes as loyal americans, and no longer indians. america is very patriotic nation and eventhough there is free speech there is also social pressure to be patriotic american, a group might be viewed with suspicion if they dont side with america over their ancestral land, they can even be hated and mocked ridiculed etc. japanese americans were put in concentration camps during WW2 etc.
Speeches laced with patriotic fire is only used to garner votes. In reality, US is run by the corporates, and they are slowly trying to subvert parts of the US Constitution that guarantee freedom and liberty.

prohumanity

Country flag
The question is flawed the way it is worded. You can not lump all NRI's into one big group. In US, there are NRI's who are Doctors ,Engineers mostly in their
40s and 50s , who are very emotional and attached to Mother India. They ,also taught their children about their great motherland and its cultural values.
The NRI's who benefitted financially a lot lately ,mostly in technology boom, have less patriotic furvor and have vested interest in seeing India become subservient to Western powers. My generation who has seen how Western powers manipulated and suppressed India and used Paki against India to prevent it from gaining its rightfull place in the World, has full support for a self confident,resurgent Bharat. BJP with leaders like Modi,RajNath Singh, symbolizes that
assertive, self confident India who will not be controlled and intimidated by West. Thats why Western nations want to demonizeBJP and prefer weaker parties who can be controlled by Western corporations. They want Indian to get addicted to Pizza and forget Daal -Roti. (means imposing western values)
and make billions of dollars to grow their economies which are faltering badly. Russia, China,Brazil and India is the future and where the economic growth will be. More than60% people of the world live in BRICS nations.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
My German grandfather was an Enemy Alien during WWI and had to report to the Post Office weekly.

There were German saboteurs about in those days.

Black Tom explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Americans of German-descent top the list of U.S. ethnic groups, followed by Irish, 35.8 million; Mexican, 31.8 million; English, 27.4 million; and Italian, 17.6 million, analysis of Census and American Community Survey data shows.
Bloomberg's analysis identified what it calls a "German belt" of the U.S. that extends from eastern Pennsylvania to the Oregon coast. A majority of counties in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas are predominantly German, and they make up a plurality of Ohio and Indiana counties.

Pennsylvania has the largest population of German-Americans and is home to one of the group's original settlements, Germantown in 1683. The state has 3.5 million people claiming German ancestry -- more than in Berlin.

The Largest U.S. Ethnic Group? It's Germans | Adweek

LalTopi

I would say that the question itself is inflammatory with racist undertones.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
I would say that the question itself is inflammatory with racist undertones.
It is definitely a loaded question and having a poll attached to it detracts immensely from DFI's credibility. The DK affair has unhinged many people and the main thread on the topic is a hopeless dog's breakfast. I suppose DFI will recover eventually.

I have been thinking that the DK affair has evoked the feminine (emotional, irrational) side of the India character. The military mind displays the masculine expression of the Indian character, and I hope it will prevail.

And I don't refer to those DFI posters who yearn for big nuclear missiles, either.:pokerface:

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
It is definitely a loaded question and having a poll attached to it detracts immensely from DFI's credibility. The DK affair has unhinged many people and the main thread on the topic is a hopeless dog's breakfast. I suppose DFI will recover eventually.

I have been thinking that the DK affair has evoked the feminine (emotional, irrational) side of the India character. The military mind displays the masculine expression of the Indian character, and I hope it will prevail.

And I don't refer to those DFI posters who yearn for big nuclear missiles, either.:pokerface:
Why is it irrational??!!! 'Coz we are not towing the line?

A good many of my colleagues think that this incident would hurt Indo-US relationship - like you say. But I say, as I have been taught from my childhood, give respect to get respect. And now I say vise-versa.

May USA and her people themselves stop being irrational.

Soul83

I dont know what exactly happened but even if the Indian Diplomat was a criminal of any kind the USA has no right to treat he like a average american citizen, but needs to deport her to india or send her out of the country, america is anyways the only nation on earth which citizens cant be charged by International Court of Human Rights in Den Haag for war crimes, and the american soldiers who let hungry dogs eat the tortured iraquis which they forced to have sex with eatch other etc. didnt got judged and handcuffed by iraqui police but were send to USA to get their punishment etc. They didnt had any right to treat a Indian Diplomat like a average american criminal they violate indias souvereignity thats how i see it.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Why is it irrational??!!! 'Coz we are not towing the line?

A good many of my colleagues think that this incident would hurt Indo-US relationship - like you say. But I say, as I have been taught from my childhood, give respect to get respect. And now I say vise-versa.

May USA and her people themselves stop being irrational.
One (1) US prosecutor (a man from India) brought the case against DK. The reason or reasons that happened may yet be revealed. It is the response from India which is widespread and hysterical. Americans generally have other matters to think about, such as whether they will freeze today or have a job tomorrow.

ladder

Country flag
Indians in US unhappy at way Khobragade treated, says Indian American
New Delhi, Jan 7 (IANS): The Indian community in the US is unhappy at the treatment meted out to Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade and feels very strongly that there was no need for her to be handcuffed or strip searched, says an Indian American delegate who is attending the annual diaspora convention here.

Mohan L. Jain, a delegate at the 12 Pravasi Bharatiya Divas that opened here Tuesday, told IANS: "Indians there did not like it (treatment meted out to Khobragade). Initially we did not have much information on the case and people (diaspora) said we should follow the US law.. But when they got information about the case, all said it should not have been done," said Jain, trustee and founding president of India Development Coalition of America, that works with NGOs to help eradicate poverty in India.

Asked why India-born Manhattan Attorney Preet Bharara had taken such a tough stance against Khobragade, India's deputy consul general in New York, Jain said "he might have something personal".

"There was no need to treat her (envoy)like that. She is not a criminal, she was not running away, she does not have a criminal record. Why deal with her like that, or anyone else for that matter too," said Jain, a regular at the PBDs. It is his 10th PBD summit, the world's largest annual gathering of people of Indian origin. He has been living in the US for 42 years.
There are an estimated three million people of Indian origin in the US, having the highest median income and the highest levels of education among all immigrant groups.

Khobragade, 39, was arrested Dec 12 in New York on charges of making falsifying visa documents of her domestic help Sangeeta Richard and for underpaying her in violation of local labour laws. She was released on a $250,000 bail bond.

The incident led to tensions in India-US ties with India downgrading some of the privileges extended to US consular officials in India in reciprocal reprisal.
Indians in US unhappy at way Khobragade treated, says Indian American

LalTopi

Or, look at it another way, the question is a metaphor. ;)
No. it's a literal cheap dig at all Indians living outside India. Whichever side of the DK issue they may r may not be on.

I am Spartacus.

That's a metaphor.

pmaitra

One (1) US prosecutor (a man from India) brought the case against DK. The reason or reasons that happened may yet be revealed. It is the response from India which is widespread and hysterical. Americans generally have other matters to think about, such as whether they will freeze today or have a job tomorrow.
I agree with everything you have stated.

Indians are sensitive, and perhaps hysterical. Since India is a democracy, the government must assume the same sensitivities of the masses. As irrational as it might sound, it is just fair. Moreover, this is election time, and this is expected. I am sure you understand how the US felt after Benghazi.

The truth will come out in due course of time.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
So, now Preet Bharara have become 'a man from India'. Your surname is Ewald, so are you an american or a man from Germany? What is Preet Bharara when he is holding down the post of DA - a man from India or an american? In that case I would say only about 1.7% people of USA are American.

It is the sign of hidden racism my friend.

And, no wonder the jobs are few in USA given the rate of minimum wage there.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles