Are Indians asian or Middle-Eastern ? Or both ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Are Indians asian or Middle-Eastern ? Or both ?

Hi - when I was studying in the uk it was common practice to refer to Indians and Pakistanis as asian . But in the usa ive often heard the term being applied mainly to Chinese , Japanese , and Korean rather than Pakistani or Indian.

Question is therefore would we more correctly refer to ourselves, and see ourselves more as middle-eastern rather than asian ?

Part of the seeming confusion might indeed arise from the fact that we have a large spectrum of appearances and cultures in the Indian ethnicity and diaspora .

In the western part of India . Indeed even in the south ( Kerala ) people look more Arabian and in the far north eg Kashmir and Punjab we even resemble the various Turkish nationalities

In the eastern half , in the north there is obvious Mongolian influence and in the south , once could easily see Austroloid influence

Bearing in mind the great barriers of the Himalayan mountains and the Karakorums between India and china, it seems plausible that interaction between India and china would have been sparse but looking westward, there were no such huge physical barriers , so interaction with the Iranian and arab peoples would have been very much more . Indeed in the state of kerela , many communities trace their origin to the land of Syria where they are believed to have migrated from .

My take is that we are therefore a little bit of a mixed bag - ethnically and culturally and my summary inference is that we are much closer to the middle east but politically and economically we might be more " asian "

In support of this "dual nature" we can look at countries which span two worlds - eg Russia - both European and mongolian-asian , turkey which is both Islamic in culture but european (mostly ) in ethnicity , Kazakhstan which is culturally mostly leaning towards Russian but ethnically mongolian , perhaps morocco, which is culturally Islamic but linguistically rather French and Lebanon which is quite a mixture of a nation too , being linguistically mostly French and culturally a middle eastern melting pot "¦. ( you may have some arguments about the details of those examples but surely we can agree that there is such a thing as a duality of nature - which is the main point I was making )

One major argument in favour of labelling us Indian as middle-eastern would be that the "west", that is in particular NATO, would now have a substantial friend in the middle-east , a huge region where without India they might have no real ally ( also taking into account the hot and cold relations they are having with pak ), barring tiny Israel ( which is insufficient for such a huge region - the middle -east )

So there we have it, my take ;- ethnically and culturally, the cultural media , cusine-wise we ( especially much more so in the western and northern half of India, the majority by far ) are middle-eastern, "¦.. politically and economically we are asian .

Yes ?

peacecracker

it is very hard to generalize India as similar to arabs. simply put, we are different people not middle eastern not mongoloid(except NE). however, semitic(west asian) input is there, but very minimal example Kerala. states of J&K,Punjab,Delhi have lesser ASI content which means some similarity with Iranians. so, there ends the similarity. less than 3% of India's population shares similarity with middle east or with Iranids. anyone disagree? I think scientists generally claims India has a large influence of Australoids which may be unique.

Last edited:

arkem8

Country flag
We are Indians we are a unique and ancient people... we don't subscribe to Pan-Asian(Confucian culture, chopsticks) or Pan-Middle Eastern (Abrahamic religions) Memes.....

Pakis are descendents/offshoots of Arabs though;)

Tolaha

Agree with DD! None of the above. Simply put, we are Indians! :namaste:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Chinese , Japanese , and Korean rather than Pakistani or Indian.
Chinese , Japanese and Korean are known in US for long time and called under Asian category..

About India there is little known and they call it Arabian, Simple of many reasons, Mugal & Muslims have to be Arabs in US, They dont know difference between Muslim and Hindu and mix them, North India is known better than south Indian, North-India have many architecture which resembles Persians, Russian see in the same light..

Hindu, Muslims, Persians and anystan, are all arabs..

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
member "peacecracker" used the term "semetic " - which i should rather have used, in place of "middle -eastern"

what about my point of NATO needing a better friend than pak in the huge region ?

some ? many ? of you guys see pakistanis as arab ? surprising to me , i see them more as Turkish than arab .( true they use a modified form of the arabic script but genetically , appearance-wise they seem more turkic .. to me at least ) and indian look more like the gulf arab people

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
and indian look more like the gulf arab people
They look more like Brazilian than Arabs but that is the norther part of India which is small compare to Eastern, Southern and western parts which is together is a huge sum of people look different from each other..

They are like Pakistan`s in looks and behavior ?

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
It is others who are genetically and to some extent in appearance Indian rather than being other way round.

Indians look Indians with mixtures of Negroid and mongoloid features..

Zarvin

Turks in UK confuse me for being Turkish all the time.

I think the northwestern part of India probally has outside genetics due to the amount of invasions that took place from the west into India.

I think Indians are a mix of middle eastern and austroloid people depending on where you live, the influence is probally more than the other.

Asian in terms of mongoloid? I highly doubt it tbh, they'll probally be a little.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
We are not Middle Eastern in any sense of the term.

We are Asians, however. Not in terms of physical appearance (Mongoloid), except for Northeasterners, but it terms of our culture and civilization. The three great civilizations of Asia - India, China, and Persia - have all greatly influenced each other as well as the rest of the world. These three civilizations basically laid the foundation for the modern world.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Turks in UK confuse me for being Turkish all the time. I think the northwestern part of India probally has outside genetics due to the amount of invasions that took place from the west into India. I think Indians are a mix of middle eastern and austroloid people depending on where you live, the influence is probally more than the other. Asian in terms of mongoloid? I highly doubt it tbh, they'll probally be a little.
hi Zarvin - yes in fact i know quite a number of pakistani, mostly punjabi and also a few from GB area who look more or less eastern-euro - turkish .... by pakistani im not talking about the large numbers of mohajir and immigrants from india - so i think that's where you an i seem to agree but many of the indian members take a different stand

mongolian appearance is more in the vicinity of the nepal and eastern assam areas

Zarvin

hi Zarvin - yes in fact i know quite a number of pakistani, mostly punjabi and also a few from GB area who look more or less eastern-euro - turkish .... by pakistani im not talking about the large numbers of mohajir and immigrants from india - so i think that's where you an i seem to agree but many of the indian members take a different stand

mongolian appearance is more in the vicinity of the nepal and eastern assam areas
Hi

Yes, I think we have a few mongoloid looking people in our northern most areas, some of whom I think are the ancestors of modern day Gypsies. They are mixed and even have very European looking features like green eyes and dirty blonde hair.

As far as Muhajirs, not all look the same----We have Parvez Musharraf who is a Muhajir with a typical northern Indian look. Then we also have Zaid Hamid who is also infact a Muhajir Urdu speaker with green eyes and blonde hair.

SLASH

A population of 1.2 billion should be called by their nationality. We look very different from both.

LalTopi

all i know pakis are arabs:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Unfortunatly not. They are deranged (possibly due to inbreeding) Indians who think they are Arabs.
Most of India and Eastern Iran share the same genetic ancestry going back 40 to 50 thousand years ago.
Read the 'Aryan Invasion' theory thread.

Zarvin

Unfortunatly not. They are deranged (possibly due to inbreeding) Indians who think they are Arabs.
Most of India and Eastern Iran share the same genetic ancestry going back 40 to 50 thousand years ago.
Do most Indians agree with that theory?

Blackwater

i agree with u,i was just taunting paki belief,anyhow its true north Indians share eastern Iranian/Persian ancestory and iam one of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles