Are Indians and Romanis Brothers?

Soul83

I know Romanis are not a nationstate, and indians are not one ethnic group but still. I think it is foreign relations topic, because relation with a ethnic group abroad, outside india. If it is wrong here please move it to the approriate section.

So are Indians and Romanis Brothers? Would India give refuge to Romanis if they asked for it? India gave refuge to ten thousands of cows during BSE crisis when cows were slaughtered in europe, why not to humans who originate in india?

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
I know Romanis are not a nationstate, and indians are not one ethnic group but still. I think it is foreign relations topic, because relation with a ethnic group abroad, outside india. If it is wrong here please move it to the approriate section.

So are Indians and Romanis Brothers? Would India give refuge to Romanis if they asked for it? India gave refuge to ten thousands of cows during BSE crisis when cows were slaughtered in europe, why not to humans who originate in india?
Refugee Status Determination

India is not a party to the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees or the 1967 Protocol, nor does it have a legal framework and national refugee status determination system. As a result, UNHCR processes claims for refugee status in India.

The UNHCR carries out a Refugee Status Determination (RSD) procedure, which starts with registration as asylum seekers. Following the registration, UNHCR will then conduct interviews with each individual asylum seeker accompanied by a qualified interpreter. This process provides a reasoned decision on whether refugee status is granted or not, and gives the individual an opportunity to appeal a decision if the claim is rejected.

At the end of January 2014, there are 3779 asylum seekers and 23161 refugees cumulatively registered with UNHCR India

Assistance

The UNHCR Office in India works closely with the Government of India, non-governmental organizations and members of civil society in ensuring that asylum seekers and refugees in India are not involuntarily returned to their countries of origin, or of former residence and have access to international protection.

UNHCR together with its partners and civil society provides a range of services to support refugees and asylum-seekers in health, education, legal counseling, vocational skills and livelihoods.

UNHCR places great emphasis on every child's right to primary education and access to health care for all people of concern as a basic human right. In addition, UNHCR offers its support for all refugee and asylum-seeker children to attend public schools since the government allows them free access. This has recently been corroborated by the passing of the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act, 2009 under which every child between the ages of 6 to 14 years has the right to free and compulsory education.

In New Delhi, the Socio-Legal Information Centre provides legal assistance to protect persons under UNHCR's mandate. Bosco assists the refugees in accessing government hospitals, dispensaries and other medical facilities, which are generously made available by the Government to refugees and asylum seekers.

Besides, it offers education services and offers language classes, counseling and support for livelihood activities including vocational training. Bosco works very closely with refugee youth. In India UNHCR supports income generating activities to help refugees lead a life with dignity. Koshish, a popular line of traditional clothing made by refugee women is one of them.

The Gandhi National Memorial Society in Pune assists refugees and asylum seekers in Pune, the Confederation of Voluntary Agencies is UNHCR's partner in Hyderabad and Development And Justice Initiative (DAJI) supports refugees and asylum seekers in Jammu, Mewat and Jaipur.

Moreover, women protection is high on UNHCR's agenda. UNHCR along with its partner organization and Delhi police has been organizing self-defense training for refugee women. The training program aims at empowering women by equipping them with basic martial arts techniques.

UNHCR - What Do We Do In India

Soul83

but what if they are not politically persecuted really and from a "safe" country but just feel unwelcomed where they are and want to live in india, i mean maybe they think india is better for them like muhammed ali was fascinated when he was in africa (muhammed ali was african american)?

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
but what if they are not politically persecuted really and from a "safe" country but just feel unwelcomed where they are and want to live in india, i mean maybe they think india is better for them like muhammed ali was fascinated when he was in africa (muhammed ali was african american)?
According to Indian citizenship and nationality law: The Constitution of India provides for a single citizenship for the entire country. The provisions relating to citizenship at the commencement of the Constitution are contained in Articles 5 to 11 in Part II of the Constitution of India. Relevant Indian legislation is the Citizenship Act 1955, which has been amended by the Citizenship (Amendment) Act 1986, the Citizenship (Amendment) Act 1992, the Citizenship (Amendment) Act 2003, and the Citizenship (Amendment) Ordinance 2005. The Citizenship (Amendment) Act 2003 received the assent of the President of India on 7 January 2004 and came into force on 3 December 2004. The Citizenship (Amendment) Ordinance 2005 was promulgated by the President of India and came into force on 28 June 2005.

you got five options

1 Obtain citizenship by birth.
Any person born in India, on or after 26 January 1950 but prior to the commencement of the 1986 Act on 1 July 1987 is a citizen of India by birth. A person born in India on or after 1 July 1987 is a citizen of India if either parent was a citizen of India at the time of the birth. Those born in India on or after 3 December 2004 are considered citizens of India only if both of their parents are citizens of India or if one parent is a citizen of India and the other is not an illegal migrant at the time of their birth the citizen can be an Indian or a foreigner.

2 Obtain citizenship by descent. Persons born outside India on or after 26 January 1950 but before 10 December 1992 are citizens of India by descent if their father was a citizen of India at the time of their birth. Person born outside India on or after 10 December 1992 are considered as citizens of India if either of their parents is a citizen of India at the time of their birth. From 3 December 2004 onwards, persons born outside of India shall not be considered citizens of India unless their birth is registered at an Indian consulate within one year of the date of birth. In certain circumstances it is possible to register after 1 year with the permission of the Central Government. The application for registration of the birth of a minor child must be made to an Indian consulate and must be accompanied by an undertaking in writing from the parents of such minor child that he or she does not hold the passport of another country.

3 Obtain citizenship by registration. The Central Government may, on an application, register as a citizen of India under section 5 of the Citizenship Act 1955 any person (not being an illegal migrant) if he belongs to any of the following categories:-------

a person of Indian origin who is ordinarily resident in India for five years before making an application for registration;
a person of Indian origin who is ordinarily resident in any country or place outside undivided India;
a person who is married to a citizen of India and is ordinarily resident in India for seven years before making an application for registration;

4 minor children of persons who are citizens of India;

a person of full age and capacity whose parents are registered as citizens of India by ordinary residence in India for seven years;
a person of full age and capacity who, or either of his parents, was earlier citizen of independent India, and has been residing in India for one year immediately before making an application for registration;
a person of full age and capacity who has been registered as an overseas citizen of India for five years, and who has been residing in India for one year before making an application for registration.

5 Obtain citizenship by naturalization. Citizenship of India by naturalization can be acquired by a foreigner who has resided in India for twelve years. The applicant must have lived a total of 11 years in India in a period of 14 years, and must have spent in India the past 12 months preceding the application.

Soul83

i can only make the application by naturalisation (need to live twelve years in india), i dont think romani are considered persons of indian origin, they are not recognised as persons of indian origin, they dont have PIO status only people with up to one indian great great grandparent are considered that. i think there should be a paragraph in the law saying "a ethnic romani person can obtain indian citizenship by.. and then some regulations etc..." like there is for PIO

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
i can only make the application by naturalisation (need to live twelve years in india), i dont think romani are considered persons of indian origin, they are not recognised as persons of indian origin, they dont have PIO status only people with up to one indian great great grandparent are considered that. i think there should be a paragraph in the law saying "a ethnic romani person can obtain indian citizenship by.. and then some regulations etc..." like there is for PIO
Roma gypsies who migrated from the Indian sub-continent 1,400 years ago, based on the historical fact so it is near impossiable to get PIO

Soul83

i wrote the indian government

Dear Indian Government Website!

My name is ....., im born in 1983 in republic of serbia as
serbian nationality, in 1990 i moved to austria and now im austrian
citizen since 2006. I have ethnic romani ancestry, i can also prove
with genetic test that i trace my lineage to india (romanis are people
who originated in india 1000 years ago i think). I did a genetic test
with 23andme and Familytreedna, also it is visible that i have
partially indian features and a darker skin tone etc. im 56.25% romani
and on my genetic test i was in the range of 14-30% southasian. It is
all complicated i could be more southasian though, because it is old
ancestry and those are not peer reviewed studies like from scientists,
etc. but they are reliable, also i was related to all ethnic roma and
part roma etc. on the dna relatives tool. so im ethnic roma can prove
it genetically but also my uncle in serbia and my family are visible
southasian influenced (dark brown skin) and dark eyes etc. black hair
etc. they retain southasian features. and they are known by their
neigbours as romani, and they are also registered in romani
organisations.
i would like to ask if i can submit a application for person of indian
origin card or if that is not possible for romani etc.

i add my genetic results and picture of me

regards, ..... National Portal of India

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
i wrote the indian government

Dear Indian Government Website!

My name is ....., im born in 1983 in republic of serbia as
serbian nationality, in 1990 i moved to austria and now im austrian
citizen since 2006. I have ethnic romani ancestry, i can also prove
with genetic test that i trace my lineage to india (romanis are people
who originated in india 1000 years ago i think). I did a genetic test
with 23andme and Familytreedna, also it is visible that i have
partially indian features and a darker skin tone etc. im 56.25% romani
and on my genetic test i was in the range of 14-30% southasian. It is
all complicated i could be more southasian though, because it is old
ancestry and those are not peer reviewed studies like from scientists,
etc. but they are reliable, also i was related to all ethnic roma and
part roma etc. on the dna relatives tool. so im ethnic roma can prove
it genetically but also my uncle in serbia and my family are visible
southasian influenced (dark brown skin) and dark eyes etc. black hair
etc. they retain southasian features. and they are known by their
neigbours as romani, and they are also registered in romani
organisations.
i would like to ask if i can submit a application for person of indian
origin card or if that is not possible for romani etc.

i add my genetic results and picture of me

regards, ..... National Portal of India
soul the best advise i can give you is contact your nearest Indian consulate or embassy in your country your letter wont have much effect contact them directly get an appointment seek advise this will help you a bit

Eesh

PIO card is not issued just like that. Can you prove your Indian origin, beyond doubt. Your genetic test and contradictory history carries no meaning.

anupamsurey

Country flag
yes, PIO and OCI are not issued like that, one of your parents or grandparents should be an Indian, though you can consult Indian embassy, my knowledge says that you have to be living in India for min. of 5 years to apply for citizenship in India.

Soul83

PIO card is not issued just like that. Can you prove your Indian origin, beyond doubt. Your genetic test and contradictory history carries no meaning.
the indian origins of the romani are proven.

Soul83

why some indians still denie that romani are not of indian origins?

Samar Rathi

Country flag
Please provide historical fact in his regards and how did romani migrated to EU and when ?

Also provide which country and why you want to come to India?

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Please provide historical fact in his regards and how did romani migrated to EU and when ?

Also provide which country and why you want to come to India?
Romas are actually Indians. They migrated from India about a thousand years ago after the invasion of Mahmud of Ghori. Recently a DNA study has established their Indian heritage. They are probably descendants of Doms. Of course they have European genes too. Apart from genetics they speak a language of Indian origin.

Romani people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
No educated Indian denies the Indian heritage of Romani people. Actually some people do not know about the community.

LalTopi

Soul, I can relate to that you want to go back to your ancestral homeland, but what do you want to practically do in India when/if you get there?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles