Are Indian Armymen Safe On DFI

Twinblade

Country flag
Kunal, you need to get more like minded people to DFI. We need more pros here especially those who are veterans of Kargil, COIN and also those who can in the scope of divulging info, let us know how our preparation is for cold start.
Like I said in another thread, having a few def pros considerably improves the quality of discussion. I do happen to know a couple of guys who were active on a couple of forums before they cleared their SSB and a few friends in a research-organisation-that-shall-not-be-named who lurk around some forums just for lulz. They have very obvious reasons to be not actively participating, apart from OpSec
1. The level of discussions in several forums is just ridiculously low.
2. There are too few people who understand, try to understand or have the capacity to understand the kind of work these people do.
3. Being identified as a def pro on an internet forum, while in active duty raises alarms in big brothers office and there is a possibility of a negative comment been written down in their employee dossier.

That being said, a lot of people appearing for SSB do lurk around some of the forums. Who knows some of them might start posting after their short service commission is over ;)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sir,

Your all contentions are agreed to. However Army personnel do need a buffer from the free media.

You must have heard the famous story of " Awhasthama Hato iti, Naro wa Kunjaro wa". The Willy strategist Krishna advised Pandava to use dis-informational psychological warfare to demoralise the Brahmin Guru Aacharya Drona so much so that he lays down his arms in grief. It was an instant dis informational campaign which demoralised him culminating in his glorious end.

No one loves media more than lonely dissolute and stressed Service personnel who use even their communication equipment to hera the news and songs. A transistor is the priced possession of every servicemen, then the TV and mobile with a facebook connection. Media has become very very powerful.

No body would have ever though that the Servicemen would fight their wars on Pay Commission by skilful use of media. Indian Army very successfully used media to demoralise East Pakistan located Pakistani Army in 1971.

There is a definite danger of exposure to Servicemen in media. My argument was that it is better to prevent that by education and training rather by a regime of denial.

USA today is gathering largest intelligence through monitoring social media.

MoD attitude seems to be "Na Rahe Baans, Na baje Baansuri".
Excellent post.

Better than I could ever think of posting!

Congratulations!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Like I said in another thread, having a few def pros considerably improves the quality of discussion. I do happen to know a couple of guys who were active on a couple of forums before they cleared their SSB and a few friends in a research-organisation-that-shall-not-be-named who lurk around some forums just for lulz. They have very obvious reasons to be not actively participating, apart from OpSec
1. The level of discussions in several forums is just ridiculously low.
2. There are too few people who understand, try to understand or have the capacity to understand the kind of work these people do.
3. Being identified as a def pro on an internet forum, while in active duty raises alarms in big brothers office and there is a possibility of a negative comment been written down in their employee dossier.

That being said, a lot of people appearing for SSB do lurk around some of the forums. Who knows some of them might start posting after their short service commission is over ;)
Once again, an excellent post!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Major Delta is one officer who knows how to survive on a forum. Posts well, divulges nothing.

Unfortunately the little time he has on the net, he spends it elsewhere.

MAJOR I hope you see this tread and come back!!

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
Honey traps on social networking sites
Sources said officials of paramilitary forces, posted at sensitive locations, were found chatting with foreign agents across the border posing as women.
Following a spate of similar incidents, meetings were held to prohibit the use of official computers for social networking on the internet and officials were sensitised on the latest modus operandi of the spies.

Sources in the Telecom Department said an effective mechanism was being put in place to keep a vigil on officials posted in sensitive areas.

In some instances, officials were found indulging in objectionable activities through video chat, recordings of which were later used by the spies to blackmail to extract strategic and commercial information. The errant officials have been removed from their current postings and departmental action has been initiated, sources said.

Some officials were seen posing in their uniforms, armed with AK-47 rifles and service revolvers, which they admittedly did for impressing women, sources said.

While the number of such incidents were more in paramilitary forces, few instances were also reported in the armed forces.

"Reports have been received about recent cyber espionage attack on various installations of the Government of India, including the MHA. This could be the source of malicious code, virus, Trojan or Keyloggers having high security threat not only for that system but the entire MHA network. Social networking sites such as Google+, Facebook and sites of online games shall not be accessed from an official computer," a circular issued by the Union Home Ministry said.

Honey traps on social networking sites

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Armymen are safe on DFI. We know Ray Sir but he has retired. If there are any Armymen among us, we don't know. We want them here but don't want to compromise anything. Chances of them getting honey trapped here is next to nothing while Facebook is another story.
Sadly, very true. :-D

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
In case of Western militarise and US military personnel, they can not live without cyberspace. Cyberspace has been provided to them officially. In fact largest cyberspace was occupied by US military personnel in Iraq and subsequently NATO forces in Afghanistan. The next gen war is going to be in Cyberspace and it would be foolish for any Army to keep away its personnel away from it. The idea should be to expose them to dangers and train them well. Denial is a very weak defence mechanism.

If one surveys the US internet forums and portals dealing with defence such as short war journal or Long War Journal etc, their forum activities are dominated by their serving personnel. Indian Armed Forces should have their own controlled portals where in feedback and suggestions should be incorporated.

What do others say ?
I say the first name that comes to mind as an example is PFC Bradley Manning.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I haven't seen any leaked information come here from members. Do IA members get wifi access on base? I would have lost my mind not having it during deployments.
Would have is past tense. Anyway i am sure they have the does on Skype or gmail.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles