Are Indian Armymen Safe On DFI

Vyom

Seeker
Beacuase Armymen are not social being only Armymen !! Scoot, loot and boot !! Two hoot !
Perhaps, you are correct. Socializing too much may make them emotionally weak, distract their focus and discipline.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Kunal is a brilliant young officer, I presume, with a quest for military knowledge. He needs to hide one sign on his avatar which is revealing. With experience, he would gain while growing up, he would be an asset. His quest for Mechanised warfare is admirable.
I believe he was from the Punjab Regiment.

That is not a classified information.

Likewise the Chief is from the Rajput Regt.

All are aware of that and it says so in the accoutrement that he wears.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I believe he was from the Punjab Regiment.

That is not a classified information.

Likewise the Chief is from the Rajput Regt.

All are aware of that and it says so in the accoutrement that he wears.

I would go a little further in Identification.

I though it was Indian Navy .... Ha Ha ..... Ship on a BMP ....

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
All military personnel are entitled to write letters from the field area.

However, some out of necessity or wanting to show off to their girlfriends and friends have given information that they are doing this or that or are moving from here to some other place and so on.

This letter, if in wrong hands, can reveal a lot.

Therefore, there is Unit Censor and Base Censor which randomly open letters and blacks out the classified portions and the person is asked to explain for contravention of the rules.

In the case of any social networking site or a forum, if some info is leaked out, there is no way that can be retrieved before it causes damage.

It is true that not allow military magazines are online. Yet, there is no embargo on anyone subscribing to it. If one is that keen, one should subscribe to those magazines.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I would go a little further in Identification.

I though it was Indian Navy .... Ha Ha ..... Ship on a BMP ....

[h=2]Regimental Insignia[/h] The regiment is perhaps the only infantry regiment with naval Galley as an insignia, anywhere. It was awarded to 69th Punjabis (later 2nd PUNJAB) in recognition of the readiness to serve overseas, after the battalion had fought in eight overseas campaigns by 1824.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
And how exactly are military personnel at risk on DFI? DFI users make their own imaginary usernames and IDs and most of it is anonymous. There is no need to put ones' own picture on DFI and neither does FB mandate it so as a lot of people put the pics of their favorite stars, sportsmen etc on their profile.

What classifies a person being from military is their knowledge, insight into reality and their awareness of ground situation which in NO WAY compromises their identity, the stations they're based out of, or the department they serve in any specific region of the country.

This is one more attempt of the government to clamp down on military community from not telling the loopholes present outside to the common civilians, similar to how it tried and failed a clampdown on FB which is becoming the source of spreading their infamy.

As such there are such terrible conditions for our soldiers on ground. At least allow them to mingle with rest of the country.

US is involved in 2 dozen times more wars than we are and we have war veterans and even serving soldiers on FB freely communicating. Even Israel who is surrounded by enemies has its active personnel on FB, blogs, forums etc. The government is just trying desperately to stem the flow of its flaws that are being revealed by military personnel to the common taxpayers and fear that this would augment their defeat in any future elections.

Simple as that.

If they can allow stupid anglicized media channels to actually telecast 26/11 live where terrorists in Pakistan can watch on the TV and instruct the people inside the hotel, or for that matter that stupid witch Burkha Dutt actually revealing IA artillery positions during Kargil conflict, this news of clamping military personnel down in online world is plain political bullying.

I hope our armed forces comeback with a strong argument and refuse to accept this perverse mandate. :mad2:

pmaitra

^^

There are people who have their faces as avatars. You are one example.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
^^There are people who have their faces as avatars. You are one example.
It reveals my features but doesn't give out 100% how I look and that is one reason why I fudged my pic into a photocopy like PS. I have family members serving in military branches; I myself am not in any of the tri-services but a civilian like you or anyone else. Never really mentioned which specific brother of mine is in what regiment/unit etc did I? :)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If they can allow stupid anglicized media channels to actually telecast 26/11 live where terrorists in Pakistan can watch on the TV and instruct the people inside the hotel, or for that matter that stupid witch Burkha Dutt actually revealing IA artillery positions during Kargil conflict, this news of clamping military personnel down in online world is plain political bullying.
Lesson learnt re: 26/11.

That apart, the military had no authority over the media. If one has to instruct them, it was the GoI.

Now, let us take a hypothetical situation.

Let us say an Army officer is a member of a Forum and he attended the last exercise of the IA.

If he gave out the details and analysed the exercise on the forum just to prove he knows more than the others, would that be for some, who feel that the Army is being overcautious, acceptable as something fantastic done?

Last edited:

pmaitra

It reveals my features but doesn't give out 100% how I look and that is one reason why I fudged my pic into a photocopy like PS. I have family members serving in military branches; I myself am not in any of the tri-services but a civilian like you or anyone else. Never really mentioned which specific brother of mine is in what regiment/unit etc did I? :)
You are not in the services, but I don't know whether that is true for all.

Personally, I don't show my face in my avatar, my pictures that I post and also videos I upload into my YouTube channel.

I just want my face to be a guess for everyone.

pmaitra

That apart, the military had no authority over the media. If one has to instruct them, it was the GoI.
Perhaps no authority, but I am led to believe that the Army has a lot of influence on the media. The excellent media briefings given by the Army during the Kargil War was an amazing piece of art, yes, a piece of art. Very well done IA.

I don't want the Indian Army to become like Pakistani Army running everything from Railways to grocery stores. Who needs authority when there is influence?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
How do we know that you are not from the Indian Military?

In so far one being an avatar on a Forum and no more, please understand one can trace the IP and get details as to where one is writing from and that is how terrorists are traced who use the internet, or so it is said. What is the guarantee that the enemy intelligence agency does not trace the location and then blackmails the forumer into a compromise?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Perhaps no authority, but I am led to believe that the Army has a lot of influence on the media. The excellent media briefings given by the Army during the Kargil War was an amazing piece of art, yes, a piece of art. Very well done IA.

I don't want the Indian Army to become like Pakistani Army running everything from Railways to grocery stores. Who needs authority when there is influence?
Army has no influence on the media.

They took umbrage since the IA used the nomenclature for media personnel training in military affairs, as 'media management'. They were categorical that none can manage them!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Kunal, you need to get more like minded people to DFI. We need more pros here especially those who are veterans of Kargil, COIN and also those who can in the scope of divulging info, let us know how our preparation is for cold start.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Punjab Regt logo have nothing to do with my present situation or location, I was born in Punjab regt..

That`s why the Punjab regt logo in my avatar..
Indeed, there you go.

His parent may be of the regt and he isn't.

Or he was and no longer with the Regt having quit.

So many possibilities.

Therefore, avtar don't tell the story!

The IP does tell a story!

Once when I was globe trotting, one forum asked me to confirm it was me or someone else because I was using local servers!

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
And how exactly are military personnel at risk on DFI? DFI users make their own imaginary usernames and IDs and most of it is anonymous. There is no need to put ones' own picture on DFI and neither does FB mandate it so as a lot of people put the pics of their favorite stars, sportsmen etc on their profile.

What classifies a person being from military is their knowledge, insight into reality and their awareness of ground situation which in NO WAY compromises their identity, the stations they're based out of, or the department they serve in any specific region of the country.

This is one more attempt of the government to clamp down on military community from not telling the loopholes present outside to the common civilians, similar to how it tried and failed a clampdown on FB which is becoming the source of spreading their infamy.

As such there are such terrible conditions for our soldiers on ground. At least allow them to mingle with rest of the country.

US is involved in 2 dozen times more wars than we are and we have war veterans and even serving soldiers on FB freely communicating. Even Israel who is surrounded by enemies has its active personnel on FB, blogs, forums etc. The government is just trying desperately to stem the flow of its flaws that are being revealed by military personnel to the common taxpayers and fear that this would augment their defeat in any future elections.

Simple as that.

I hope our armed forces comeback with a strong argument and refuse to accept this perverse mandate. :mad2:

Sir,

Your all contentions are agreed to. However Army personnel do need a buffer from the free media.

You must have heard the famous story of " Awhasthama Hato iti, Naro wa Kunjaro wa". The Willy strategist Krishna advised Pandava to use dis-informational psychological warfare to demoralise the Brahmin Guru Aacharya Drona so much so that he lays down his arms in grief. It was an instant dis informational campaign which demoralised him culminating in his glorious end.

No one loves media more than lonely dissolute and stressed Service personnel who use even their communication equipment to hera the news and songs. A transistor is the priced possession of every servicemen, then the TV and mobile with a facebook connection. Media has become very very powerful.

No body would have ever though that the Servicemen would fight their wars on Pay Commission by skilful use of media. Indian Army very successfully used media to demoralise East Pakistan located Pakistani Army in 1971.

There is a definite danger of exposure to Servicemen in media. My argument was that it is better to prevent that by education and training rather by a regime of denial.

USA today is gathering largest intelligence through monitoring social media.

MoD attitude seems to be "Na Rahe Baans, Na baje Baansuri".

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its higly discouraging in Armed forces to talk about military with any other personal outside armed forces..

If they talk so much information on our strategy wont the enemy find this place a good platform for resourceful information ?

DFI will have and have very good source of knowledgeable people and many will join in future for sure..

Ray sir and Many are already here, some are known and some are just watching and reading, some time commenting..

Mostly unmarried..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles