Are Indian Armymen Safe On DFI

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Army draws LoC on Facebook use

Published January 8, 2012

SOURCE: TNN

Indian Army personnel cannot provide any indication of their workplace on online forums, especially social networking sites including Facebook. A recent Army letter says certain internet and social networking guidelines were issued earlier, but these were not implemented in the desired manner, leading to many cases of security breaches. It also says action will be taken against those violating these rules.
The Army's worry is that public access to such information could increase the vulnerabilities of both the Army and its personnel. Some information could provide clues to the Army's strategies. It could also make personnel more vulnerable to things like honeytraps (spies using sex to extract information). Social networking sites have made it much more easy for strangers to form relationships. And as the online publication 'Foreign Policy' says in an article on honeytrapping, "Cleverness, training, character, and patriotism are often no defence against a well-set honeytrap."
The Army has said that on the internet, personnel cannot make any comments on matters related to the Army's policies; they cannot discuss Army matters with even retired Army employees. They have also been told not to forward chain mails pertaining to the armed forces.
A senior defence ministry official told STOI: "Defence personnel are not provided internet connections in their official establishments. There is however an intranet connection that allows personnel and establishments across the country to communicate. Using personal email ID is not permitted on the official computer."
The official said there are guidelines for defence personnel using email and internet connections on their personal computers at home. "There are guidelines about what can be communicated and what should not be even from home."
Do you like this story ?, Share!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Armymen are safe on DFI. We know Ray Sir but he has retired. If there are any Armymen among us, we don't know. We want them here but don't want to compromise anything. Chances of them getting honey trapped here is next to nothing while Facebook is another story.

mayfair

I believe Kunal is an armyman or is he retired from the military?. Kunal da, could you confirm that?

pmaitra

Please correct typo in thread title. Thanks!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I haven't seen any leaked information come here from members. Do IA members get wifi access on base? I would have lost my mind not having it during deployments.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Serving service personnel should not be on any internet forums or social networking and that is so obvious.

Retired personnel should only discuss issues that are available from open sources and what is already known from those open sources.

Even if one is in the know, one should refrain from discussion since one has to prove nothing to anyone.

Incorrect/misleading/disinformation/propaganda that one may observe should be demolished with facts that are in the open forum.

Lastly, no one is safe in the cyberspace.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Armymen are safe on DFI. We know Ray Sir but he has retired. If there are any Armymen among us, we don't know. We want them here but don't want to compromise anything. Chances of them getting honey trapped here is next to nothing while Facebook is another story.
But I can make out a plethora of DRDO guys. I think, they hold more sensitive information.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Serving service personnel should not be on any internet forums or social networking and that is so obvious.

Retired personnel should only discuss issues that are available from open sources and what is already known from those open sources.

Even if one is in the know, one should refrain from discussion since one has to prove nothing to anyone.

Incorrect/misleading/disinformation/propaganda that one may observe should be demolished with facts that are in the open forum.

Lastly, no one is safe in the cyberspace.
In case of Western militarise and US military personnel, they can not live without cyberspace. Cyberspace has been provided to them officially. In fact largest cyberspace was occupied by US military personnel in Iraq and subsequently NATO forces in Afghanistan. The next gen war is going to be in Cyberspace and it would be foolish for any Army to keep away its personnel away from it. The idea should be to expose them to dangers and train them well. Denial is a very weak defence mechanism.

If one surveys the US internet forums and portals dealing with defence such as short war journal or Long War Journal etc, their forum activities are dominated by their serving personnel. Indian Armed Forces should have their own controlled portals where in feedback and suggestions should be incorporated.

What do others say ?

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I believe Kunal is an armyman or is he retired from the military?. Kunal da, could you confirm that?
Kunal is a brilliant young officer, I presume, with a quest for military knowledge. He needs to hide one sign on his avatar which is revealing. With experience, he would gain while growing up, he would be an asset. His quest for Mechanised warfare is admirable.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
So far as I remember from the academic circles, Defence institution do publish their journal, something like USI Journal, Trishule, Vayu Shakti etc but there are no traces of those on internet. Journals like Armour, Infantry, Artillary etc should go online. If these journals are allowed to be in public domain why not on internet.

US War College completely is on internet.

I wish the big boss do not want Indian Forces to remain uneducated peasants !!

tiranga

Tihar Jail
Banned
As far as national interests are preserved, there is no real worry, but saying that being on forum is someone's right seems a little wrong. Also, it depends on the defence personnel here to protect their identity and their secrets on this forum. I think this is the best way to keep away the controversy.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I haven't seen any leaked information come here from members. Do IA members get wifi access on base? I would have lost my mind not having it during deployments.
I think yes. Indian Armed Forces so far are not expeditionaries deployed abroad. They are within land frontiers. Now a days a mobile has become a mini computer and wi fi has witnessed the largest growth in India.

Last edited:

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
India is too big to be destabilized by any compromised person or Information. Let us talk the walk and walk the talk.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Indian Army personnel cannot provide any indication of their workplace on online forums, especially social networking sites including Facebook. A recent Army letter says certain internet and social networking guidelines were issued earlier, but these were not implemented in the desired manner, leading to many cases of security breaches. It also says action will be taken against those violating these rules.
I believe even though this rules was not implemented advisories had been issued, I remember when I asked a few of my armed service friends why don't they join a Forum they told me they are advised not to, I still see them in Facebook but profession and location information is missing.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I believe even though this rules was not implemented advisories had been issued, I remember when I asked a few of my armed service friends why don't they join a Forum they told me they are advised not to, I still see them in Facebook but profession and location information is missing.
Location can give local information which can be very useful militarily. If one knows ones location and he says there is ten feet of snow there, that is very useful military information.

But location is the first thing known whether one indicates it or not .

Vyom

Seeker
What is the harm of army men using the social internet sites and discussing general issues?

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
but saying that being on forum is someone's right seems a little wrong.

Hm, since you have Army, Airforce and Navy acts which abrogates right of communication ! That is what you mean?

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
What is the harm of army men using the social internet sites and discussing general issues?
Beacuase Armymen are not social being only Armymen !! Scoot, loot and boot !! Two hoot !

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles